Ideal Offseason Scenario

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexansFan15, Dec 17, 2018.

1. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

what a great thought :slapfight: thank you for that.

CWTexansFan and steelbtexan like this.
  2. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

To sum it up..

But I'm already on record as believing that this line will continue to be a absolute **** show as long as Mike Devlin is here.. I just think he's a extremely poor coach.

3. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

We'll be pissed but if he does pan out, well we'll be happy. The Texanscan only deal with the reality....Davenport is not panning out and they do not have an answer on the current roster. The smart move, invest in a FA veteran who could step in right away and be a difference maker....enter FA LT, Trent Brown from the reigning SB winners. Teams like the Texans have to take the chance when their situation is screaming for an answer.

4. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Lets be paralyzed by fear and go with Davenport another yr.

Seems like something the former GM would do right after he got thru extending Clowney for 5 yrs and 70 mil, a great idea.

CWTexansFan and OptimisticTexan like this.
  5. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Myopicone

What I like about Brown is he can play both sides, so get Brown, draft Dillard (dream) or one of the top 4 tackles, and maybe even get Paradis. That kind of talent upgrade plus maybe Seantrel should allow for a difference maker. We focus on OT for a good reason, but an upgrade at center could be quite a help for the entire line too. Eventually we have to give time to gel, but not yet, not enough talent. I have accepted we are not changing the OL coach now, so mix proven vets with young studs and hope the vets show the way

6. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

Not obsessed with RS one bit.

7. Shishkabob

Shishkabob Hall of Fame

I'd be upset it didn't work out, but happy we at least attempted to remedy the situation. Kind of like our trade for DT this season. Sucks he got hurt, and won't be back since we gave up a pick for him. But I'm happy that Gaine identified an issue(not having a true #2 after Fuller went down) and went out and attempted to solve it. Not every move works in the NFL that's the nature of the business, but I rather go down swinging then just sit back and get beat.

Another plus is it might open up OB's eyes to Devlin not being that great of a coach, or it might validate people like Zerlien and Tucker who say he is a really good coach who just never had the talent to work with. Either way win win

8. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

No obsession here, just going by past history.

It must suck when the reality of the way this franchise was run for a decade slaps you in the face like the past extensions for Cushing and Schaub when they didn't have to be done.

Water under the bridge, there's a new day dawning down on Kirby and I cant wait for theFA/Draft to begin so the rebuild of this poorly run franchise can continue. If last yr is any indication the franchise is in good hands with Gaine.

That's just gotta bother the crap out of you and your disciples on the MB.

9. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

Clearly not since you're the one who constantly brings it up.

And if last season is any indication, the most glaring problem on the team will get a bandaid.

10. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Pointing out the differences in mgmt is what this MB should be about. Seeing a bright future should be a positive. I just pointed out the differences n the previous regimes renewing guys when they didn't have too vs what the current regime is doing. You got a problem with this?

11-5 cant wait until Gaine gets a full draft class so he wont have to use this band-aid you speak of. It's just killing you isn't it to finally see this org being run correctly.

CWTexansFan likes this.

11. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

12. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

I do have a couple question marks on OBs reticence to bring in a reknown OC and some better coaching for our oline - his choices may yet be validated, but I am somewhat concerned.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  13. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

14. Texansballer74

Texansballer74 Hall of Fame

Very solid points. A lot of guestions across the board should be answered.

15. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Yeah signed Ed Reed, Kareem Jackson (first two seasons), Jeff Allen, Jalen Strong, some guy named Osweiler---
    IMO, he played well in his first season playing LT and has lots of ceiling. I think he can get better even if limited by teams Oline coach. I also expect him to lose more weight as PATs had him interested in eating better. He took off only a week and half then was back in weight room. Go big, pun intended, or go home.

16. Texansballer74

Texansballer74 Hall of Fame

Landon Collins said he likes the Texans and our defense. He doesn't know what it will take to get here but they will see how things play out.

Thoughts

17. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I would rather have the HB. He's much more versatile. Collins hasn't had a really good/great season in 2 yrs according to some in the NY media.

If they cant get HB, I hope they bring Earl Thomas home.

18. zshawn10

zshawn10 Hall of Fame

CWTexansFan likes this.
  19. Mangler

Mangler Hall of Fame

20. Dakota

Dakota Ticketbooth Attendant

I think the most significant conversation that probably happened this offseason was betweel Cal and Brian Gaine, probably over a River Oaks fire pit with some stogeys, where Cal looked Brian dead in the eyes and said "Let's go win one for Dad". We're spending some money next week boys, and I'm looking forward to one hell of a draft.