I wish the NFL awarded the team to LA instead

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Marcus, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Seriously, I had a better time on Sundays when we didn't have a team. Not saying to be mean or anything. Just being real honest about how I feel.

I know that you can't turn off being a fan of this team like a switch, but man, if I could, I'd pull it . . in a fricken heartbeat.

It's bad, I mean it is REAL bad, when you can't even enjoy the other NFL games. That's what's really pissing me off more than anything else. I want to watch the other NFL games on TV without having to think of this . . .this . . team . . that I'm actually a "fan" of.

Just plain sick of the weekly frustration. Actually it's not really frustration, it's more like non-enjoyment, or work. A bitter disgusted fan is better than being no fan at all, you say? That's a dumb cliche that has not a ring of truth to it.

And after today . . . I know some of you weren't around here that dark day of the Oilers/Bills choke . . . but now, I'm starting to feel that horrible feeling of resentment creeping in.

Resentment. Maybe that's the 'switch' that I need to pull.

2. Goldeagle

Goldeagle Hall of Fame

Eh, play Fantasy football and cheer that team.

I was done this year a couple of games back, but Im a Texan, and every loss sucks, but this is our team and I still support them.

3. kenneth24

kenneth24 Veteran

Bad football is still better than no football!

4. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

Just curious, but how is this "our team"? How do you feel any connection to this team? Aside from having "Houston" in their name, what have they done to get us, as fans, to support them and spend money to see them play, buy merchandise, etc?

5. Reddevil63

Reddevil63 Hall of Fame

Dont get me wrong, i still want them to win, but Im not going to be doing a whole lot of supporting until I see some wins. Not 5 or 6 a season, but consistant wins by people who actually look like they care and know what they are doing. This franchise isnt going to be getting a single penny from me until I see what happens in the offseason and get a sense of where they are going.

6. gg no re

gg no re iggnorent

Better we have a team rather than LA.

There are brighter days ahead. It's just not for LA professional football.

7. Goldeagle

Goldeagle Hall of Fame

I understand the frustration you people have, I have it to, but heck at the end of the day, I got great friends, a great family and a nice TV :)

I dont get paid to watch or play like them, so as much as I want them to win and do well I just keep it in perspective.

as far as attachement, I am excited about the direction the team is going. This years Draft (no matter abotu who should have been #1) was great. Demeco, Daniels, and Mario are going to be solid players and I see more wins than last season. Its a new regime and I am going to see what our new GM and Kubiak do with the draft and Free Agents.

8. Texas_Heat

Texas_Heat Veteran

:wow: ,it's bad when the :fans: start wishing that the team was not here.

Me and :mario2: are still having fun watching this team :marionaner:

9. Reddevil63

Reddevil63 Hall of Fame

I understand your optimism, but you also have to understand that we have gotten so used to losing, that 5 years later, we are still looking forward to the future. The team has been "heading" in the right direction for a while with no end in sight. Other teams like the Jets and Titans, have been good, bad and then good again while we are sitting on our thumbs waiting for some payoff.

10. Goldeagle

Goldeagle Hall of Fame

Ohhh, I understand, I just choose to be optimistic. I am with you, I hope we dont turn into the Browns, but I'll just grill a steak on Sunday, sit back and watch football. We lose, that sucks, but life will go on.

11. utahmark

utahmark markbeth

you may have something interesting to say but this post has the worst title in the history of this mb. so i didnt read it.

12. Dr. Toro

Dr. Toro All Pro

I'm extremely grateful Mr. McNair shelled out all that money and brought pro football back to Houston... I am extremely disappointed we bungled the Carr option and passed on VY. I haven't been able to get behind Carr since after the Buffalo game in 2005... I feel like a change is needed at the QB position.

They've gotta throw a bone to this city... quit overthinking everything, draft the offensive BPA in the first round and pick up Troy Smith with their next pick. The sad truth is the VY nightmare scenario just played itself out and the Texans won't own the hearts of Houstonians until they get an offensive "superstar" the city can rally around and make the playoffs. It won't be enough to just do either.

13. txwooley

txwooley Rookie

I've heard it said. "We need to keep it in perspective."

Let me give you a different perspective.

As a former coke-head, I know that weighing euphoria against the serious lows that come when the high runs out will never prevent you from drinking from that trough again.

The same goes for having a pro football team in Houston.
    I cried, I laughed, but mostly I yelled. The point is:

No matter how down I get, I want the high of cheering for a hometown winning team again.

No matter how down I get between highs.

14. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

From an overhead view, I see how the Texans are making strides and will get better. Each individual loss is frustrating, but when you stop to think about players like Mario, Demeco, Robinson, and Earl, you realize we have some building blocks for defense. And the defense has gotten progressively better throughout the season. On offense, we have AJ and OD, with some nice complementary players in Moulds and even Lundy. They've got some work to do, but it'll come.

By far, the most frustrating thing about being a fan of the Texans is the other "fans". I don't consider Houston a very knowledgeable football city and really not even worthy of professional sports, from a loyalty standpoint. I try and filter that out and support my team through it all anyway.

15. Marcus

I totally understand putting it all in perspective. I mean, yes, it's just a game. Just a stupid game.

But I'd still like to go back to the days when I could just turn on the TV on Sundays and enjoy a good NFL ballgame for what it is, just a good football game and not really root for either one, except maybe the underdog. And then afterward say, "Wow! Good football game". Like that Cy-Fair/Pearland high school playoff game I went to on Saturday. Didn't go there rooting for either team. Just wanted to see some good football.

Being a "fan" of this team? No enjoyment to that.

Are you all enjoying this? Honestly, are you all enjoying this? Are you having fun?

16. Napa Auto Parts

Napa Auto Parts Hall of Fame

sometimes i wish the same i wish LA would of gotten the franchise so they would have The joke david carr:stirpot:

17. Marcus

Glory? Except for few Earl Campbell highlights, I didn't remember that much glory. And the Broncos choke didn't belong in the same ballpark as the Oilers/Bills choke.

That Oilers/Bills choke . . (I absolutely believe this, and I'll take it to my grave believing this) . . . that Oilers/Bills choke . . planted a seed, a seed called apathy. And that apathy grew into indifference and created the "don't let the door hit you on the ass" environment that allowed Bud to move "our beloved" Oilers to Tennessee.

You heard me right. I'm saying if the Oilers had won that game that day . . . the Oilers would still be here, and there wouldn't be such a thing as the Houston Texans or Tennessee Titans.

OOPS! Kinda ran off on a little tangent there, didn't I? :tease:

18. TexasJedi

TexasJedi Hall of Fame

Heck no I don't wish LA had gotten this team instead of Houston. For one they would not, in all likelihood, have hired Casserly. That means they probably would have seen more success and then we would lament, wherever we would post because it certainly would not be here since there would be no HoustonTexans.com, how the NFL hated Houston and "gave" the team to LA. Then what, hope for a relocation? It may be bad right now, and yes that is on top of 4 mediocre to bad years, but we do have a team and they will turn it around sooner or later. I'm hoping for sooner.

19. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

As epic as that day in Buffalo was, it was really only one of many events that resulted in the city of Houston inviting Bud Adams to leave. And as for your point about "what if Houston had won that day"....I would agree if Houston had gone on to win the Super Bowl. One Super Bowl win and the Oilers would still be in Houston, no question.

20. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

That's an insult to the Browns and their fans. The expansion version has already made the playoffs and their fans were passionate enough to force Modell to leave the name and colors in Cleveland. Outside of a core of diehard Oilers fans, the city in general seemed to care less that the Oilers moved.

Also, if Troy Smith gets drafted by the Steelers, I highly doubt you would see any Browns fans wearing Steeler crap. Huge difference between Cleveland and Houston.