I was really happy to read this quote!

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by JB, Apr 12, 2010.

1. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6953281.html
    Even though it was in McClain's column, even he can write a direct quote ok.

Bolded comments are huge imo.

2. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Yeah, it does kind of feel good to know that Kubiak feels like I do when it comes to getting one yard. At least he's saying it out loud for the team to hear. Don't know if it will make us better but feels good to read that he's trying to do something about it.

3. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Yeah, but he and Smith identified priority need for Texans two years ago as a RB and we went out and signed two UDFAs, so I don't read much into that statement.

4. TexCanada

TexCanada Hall of Fame

Admitting there is a problem is half the battle. Even if they try to fix it but fail in doing so, at least they will have gotten past the arrogance that has allowed them to have Chris Brown trying to fight for yards behind Chris Myers.

5. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

Fixed it.

CloakNNNdagger likes this.
  6. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

I think his comments are more about making the team as a whole more physical, not necessarily targeting one position. This process started last year in the draft with guys like Cushing, Caldwell, Quin and Anthony Hill. Obviously we are still soft at a lot of spots but I hope and believe they will continue to build on what they started last year.

JB likes this.
  7. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Thank you! That is why I posted the quote. There has been some bashing about the Texans being too soft (which they have) and that it is because Kubiak wanted a finesse offense ( which is not true). I would really like to see the Texans become much more physical on offense especially.

This team is pretty close, and a little bit of attitude can go a long way.

:fans:

8. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

"and on offense it is about running the ball..." pretty specific.

9. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Seems like I am being argumentative but Kubiac chose the ZBS which he knew in Denver that utilizes smaller "finesse" type Olinemen. How is that not true? The only offensive guy I am aware of that was a physical type was Charles Spencer. We have exactly what Kubes and Smith wanted.

10. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Just because we play ZBS primarily, does not mean not playing with toughness and physicality. Look at Denvers OL when they won 2 SB's. Mucdh smaller than average OL, that opposing defense's hated because they played with a mean streak.

Our OL is about the same size as most, but seemed to play a lot smaller. Other than Studdard, our line and RB's played like nice guys.

11. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Admitting it is nice, but really, if he lines it up to make one yard and they continually don't get it, at some point he has to try something different. Everyone calls for his head either way. It doesn't matter what play he calls. The only way he keeps his job going forward is if the players he selected get that one yard.

12. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Has Dennison already had an influence on coach?

13. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    Gary said it constantly last season. He was perturbed about it in several of the interviews I watched. It's nothing new but perhaps Dennison feels differently, stronger about it than Gibbs did.

14. Rey

Rey Guest

I definitely think we need a better stable of RB's, but IMHO it is the o-lines fault if we can't get yards late in games...

It's one thing to run the ball on first and ten in the middle of the second quater vs. running the ball to waste the clock when the other team knows thats what you want to do...

15. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

“I think it hurt us that we didn't have the playcalling or personnel we needed so we could run the ball.”

Creative coaches will always find a way to get that all important one yard.

Remember "The Fridge?" He wasn't even an RB.

[​IMG]

RUNNING BACK FRIDGE VIDEO

16. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

Well for someone so aware of the problem they sure as he'll haven't done much to fix it. They added a Guard but that wasn't the problem
    I am looking at you Myers

17. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I think they may plan on Smith playing Center

18. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

I think it will be a bit tough to put both Myers and Smith on the same oline. So, my thinking is that Smith comes in at Center and is flanked by Caldwell and Brisel with Winston and Brown at the OTs. I think we will draft another combo OG/OC and he will be depth/trying to beat out Smith or Briesel.

19. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

I agree with several of the previous posters. Acknowledgement is nice but doing something about it is a different story, I'll believe it when I see it. Also signing one journeyman backup OG (Wade Smith) doesn't qualify as doing something about the problem. Also controlling the LOS and getting that 1 yd. is more about the O-line than it is the RB, if you don't control the LOS then you can't control the game. The quote sounds to me like Kubiak is making the O-line a priority this offseason which I hope he does but again I'll believe it when I see it.

20. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I think it is a combindation of both. If your OL cannot get a push on 3rd & 1, the running back has to find a way to get that one yard. Our problem this past year was that the OL could get no push, and the RB's had no power.