I want Running Backs

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by gafftop, Mar 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gafftop

gafftop Hall of Fame

Do you remember the Texans running game pre Slaton. Do we want to see this again? All I hear from Kubiak is we need the running game. One play and we are there or worse. I would have loved to had Fred Taylor as a veteran . The Pats signed him for 2 years 5 million. What the hell did we sign Green for again, I think I am going to be sick.

I think the Texans are not prioritizing enough on running back. One play and we are history. Slaton I think will not last long taking prolonged pounding. I know he was spectacular last year, but I think we were lucky.
    We need another quality prospect and a proven veteran on the cheap. I am not saying break the bank on the veteran one by any means.

C'mon and make me feel good about what the Texans are going to do in reference to running back situation. Why weren't we trying to get Taylor.

Watch the Pats. They make good personel decisions. They don't overpay for current players due up for new contracts. (Dunta in our case) I for one do not want to sign DRob long term until he proves himself this season. If he gets great offer, take draft choices and run. They don't mind trading fan favorites (Vrabel) and they know how trade players while their stock is high (Cassels).

Just my opinion. Thanks

2. MojoMan

MojoMan Hall of Fame

Here is a link to the NFL.com free agency web page sorted for RB's.

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency#playe...r-position/players-list-links-position:pos-rb

I counted 33 free agent running backs. Obviously some will re-sign with their original teams, some will re-sign with other teams, and some will not re-sign at all. But hopefully the Texans can get a good quality, probably aging, veteran backup running back from this list.

3. 281

281 Hall of Fame

gafftop, im not too sure what you're stressing over. i'm 100% sure this is going to be addressed in the draft... and about 95% sure we'll get another vet RB in free agency.

4. rarazz00

rarazz00 VOLUME 10

I'm gonna stick w/ my belief and say the Texans may draft Two RBs in this draft...they know what they are looking for...I could see a late rounder and an UFA coming out of this years draft for us..They still might bring in a veteran...:texflag:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  5. Htownsportsfan

Htownsportsfan All Pro

Unless you the Texans had a FA running back they just had to have its better to wait a few days into free agency. Its like A. Shefter and M. Lombardi said on NFLN All Access, by Sunday prices of the FA come down some and by Monday and thereafter teams can actually find value in the free agency market. Free Agency has become a franchise killer in the NFL if bad decisions are made in a rush to pick up bicg names to appease the fan base.

rarazz00 likes this.
  6. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

We signed Chris Brown for about 1/2 that. So far, Fred Taylor has done as much for the Pats as CBrown has done for us. Yes, the AGreen signing didn't work out. That RB market was different in '07 than this season... not to mention the fact that Green was 29 and FTaylor is 33.

7. rarazz00

rarazz00 VOLUME 10

Instead of starting a new thread on this ..What are we to do about Chris Taylor?

OOPs he's already gone...disreguard:gun:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  8. MojoMan

MojoMan Hall of Fame

According to the Houston Texans official online roster:

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/roster.html

Chris Taylor is not on the team.

He is not on the free agent list at NFL.com either.

9. rarazz00

rarazz00 VOLUME 10

yea thanks..I started a little early on the sauce(insert Pee Wee Herman Song Here):hobie:

10. MojoMan

MojoMan Hall of Fame

In fact, based on the Texan's official online roster, the Texans currently have only two running backs on the team:

21___Moats, Ryan____RB___5-8___210___Louisiana Tech
    20___Slaton, Steve___RB___5-9___201___West Virginia

I think the Texans will have at least six running backs going into camp.

11. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

I would like to see the Texans

Sign Micheal Pittman
    Draft A.Brown or G. Johnson
    Sign as UDFA Kevin Grady & Bernard Scott

12. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

The Raiders are looking to trade Michael Bush. He's a huge bruiser that would compliment Slaton perfectly. His broken leg is his only injury history and has no significant future implications. The Raiders have never been known for smart trades. This could be one that the Texans could turn for a player or a pick, and never look back.........making out like a bandit.

13. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

This is a deal I could see us being interested in. I wonder what sort of price tag it would carry for salary and what.......a pick? I suppose we could trade them JJ and like a 5th or 6th. They need a WR and a pick that low wouldn't be to much of a ding with the extra 4 th we have.

14. rarazz00

rarazz00 VOLUME 10

We have to keep in mind that any FA RB we sign will be taking a back seat to Slaton..The $jack$ plus carries ratio has to match:texflag:

15. PHAROAH

PHAROAH All Pro

We need to see what other positions the Texans fill in free agency before we panic guys. Look Edgerrin James is 30 years old and hasn't been released yet he could possibly hit the open market and would be a great fit with Steve Slaton for 2 years. The draft has a lot of value in the 3rd round range and with two 4th round picks i'm sure that we can find a good back to pair with slaton either way.

16. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Bush is under contract through the next two seasons for $460,000 and $550,000 respectively. In otherwords, dirt cheap!

17. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

M. Bush is rumored to be traded to Tampa Bay.

18. mattieuk

mattieuk Site Contributor

We will get half back help by the end of the draft, don't worry about that. We'll probably sign up someone cheap, 2/3 year vet who hasn't done much, then spend a 2-4th round pick on on RB in the draft (with Antonio being signed up, we may go as high as a 2nd rounder now, although unlikely, as we've got a need taken care of).

Then the other one or two spots will be taken up by undrafted free agents, and possibly see someone like Chris Brown for the training camp battle for depth positioning.

Overall, don't worry, we'll sort out the RB situation, without breaking the bank, and without going to the the big money guys like Ward. We'll go down the normal Texans/Smithiak route (excluding Ahman of course) of getting young and generally unproven RB's with a lot of upside, for cheap, and see how they work out.

19. CloakNNNdagger

This is simply a rumor without sources that were thrown out by a TB internet rag. There is no support to even early stage inquiry.

20. CloakNNNdagger

Bush is said to be somewhat less than happy with his treatment by the Raiders. The Raiders have wanted him to split his time with the FB position. He's made it known that this is not acceptable. He has taken
    2nd fiddle to McFadden......a role he has not taken to very well. There has been significant riff between him and new coaching staff. He may just "force" a trade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.