I thought Schaub had poor deep ball accuracy?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by m5kwatts, Jan 13, 2011.

1. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/14544102

Having a cannon for an arm means nothing in the NFL people.

2. BorrowMe

BorrowMe Rookie

Nobody is denying Matt's deep ball accuracy, it's his arm strength that's lacking.

3. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Why is the strength important if the accuracy is there?

4. BorrowMe

BorrowMe Rookie

Because you can throw it where you receiver is at but can you throw it hard enough that you hit him in stride?

5. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

You know how many touchdowns we missed out on because his arm wasn't strong enough?

Me niether, but there were more than a few.

Gotta take the good with the bad. If he'd learn to anticipate (or trust) our receivers getting open, he could throw the ball earlier & it would be the same difference. He needs to get the ball ahead of the receivers when they've beat the deep coverage.

Corrosion likes this.
  6. DexmanC

DexmanC Hall of Fame

So what if the receiver could sit on the field, and finish a Vic & Anthony's
    steak dinner before the ball comes down. He's still gonna catch it, right?

J_R likes this.
  7. ThaShark316

ThaShark316 #28

Don't make me go to the footage again.

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Schaubs recievers have made him look good on many poor throws down the field this season .... I can think of several where the reciever came back to the ball , slowed to wait for it or simply beat a defender making a catch.

With many of those throws - had they been on target they would have gone for scores rather than just long completions.

What he does is give the reciever a chance to make that play ....

CretorFrigg likes this.

9. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

And that's what you want over the long haul.

10. CretorFrigg

CretorFrigg Fire Rick Smith

No, Corrosion is correct. You want Schaub to hit the receiver in stride. Many of those huge gains could've been TDs. I can't even think of a play last season twhen Schaub was able to do that. I still believe Schaub played with an injury that the Texans didn't disclose to the public. He simply wasn't the same man from two years ago.

His passes wobbled and fluttered their way to the receivers, which makes him prone to interceptions. Sometimes, you need to sling the ball towards the receiver right before he makes his cut back. Any mistakes and mistiming will result in an interception.

11. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

It's pretty amazing that a guy with such a noodle arm who can't hit his receivers in stride and whose balls flutter around asking to be picked off threw for over 4000 yards last year and was 5th in the league at 273 ypg (6th in yards per attempt) and was 9th in the league in interception percentage.

The fact is he did hit a lot of guys in stride which is why you've got guys like OD running through the secondary. And he overthrew some guys. And he underthrew some guys. He threw behind some guys, too. And he had a lot of passes dropped and at the end of the day, he'd thrown for more than 4300 yards in the season which is really, really good.

He's a really, really good QB. He's not perfect. But he's really, really good and very few guys could come in here and do better.

infantrycak likes this.
  12. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

:kubepalm:

If he hits him in stride it's a touchdown, not a long gain..

13. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

A lot of it is the scheme, excellent route combinations, and the leagues leading rusher faking like he has the ball. We're talking wide the FUG open. Andre & JJ would be three to five yards ahead of the coverage, they have to slow, stop, or come back to make the catch. Many times they were so wide open, the defense still wasn't able to affect the catch, but they were able to make the tackle.

Of course, some of those combinations had the coverage so far down the field, that OD, Walter, JJ, or Foster could run for twenty or thirty yards before the defense could get back to them.

None of this (in my mind) takes away from Schuab as one of the better QBs in the league. He just has his limitations like all of them, including the greats, the Elites (Manning, Brady, & Brees). Matt doesn't have a big arm..... Big enough maybe, but he definitely leaves points on the table.

14. The Pencil Neck

The thing is... having Arian Foster and the ground game really didn't improve things from the passing side as much as I thought it would. Matt's always been good at selling the fakes and even when our running game was crap, his fakes froze guys and caused guys to come open.

I've seen missed throws, guys not hit in stride, guys underthrown, guys overthrown, by every quarterback I've ever seen.

Could Schaub have thrown for more? Did he leave some yards on the field by not making perfect throws? Sure. But so did every QB out there. Even Brady and Manning and especially Brees. None of that matters.

The bottom line is that we have a hellacious passing attack. Can we improve it? Yes. How? By getting WRs that don't drop the ball as much as JJ and KW did this season not by dumping Schaub and drafting a new QB in the first round. (Not that you were suggesting that, TK, but it was suggested in this thread.)

15. worldlyman

worldlyman Veteran

Arm-strength is a nice resource to have but it's not everything. Schaub still has his strengths, like general accuracy. I'm more concerned about Schaub's ability to simply get the ball out quicker than "arm strength" or catching guys in deep stride all the time.

I mean, I'd rather Schaub find ways to get the ball to the receivers than throwing picks...and Matt didn't throw too many of them this year, considering how many times he had to throw.

I wouldn't undestimate Schaub on getting completions either because while AJ is the beast man...it's not like he has Joiner/Jefferson/Chandler/Winslow or Givens/Jeffires/Duncan/Slaughter as a receiving/TE corps overall (especially with OD on the mend).

But arm-strength can be over-rated:
    http://slumz.boxden.com/f16/good-article-arm-strength-qbs-1161285/

16. machineo

machineo Rookie

52% accuracy with the deep ball? That seems about right since he never risks overthrowing a route. An underthrown ball is still catchable, just no YAC. Come on Matt I'd love to see you hit AJ over the shoulder in stride on Finnegan!

17. The Pencil Neck

18. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

I think both sides have their merrit concerning Schaub's ability and limitation.
    He's definitely a top ten QBs, IMO.

The thing is, a lot of us were expecting that he would move real close to or even crack into top 5, and that didn't happen.
    That may never happen due to some of his limitation!?!

19. The Pencil Neck

If we start winning and start getting deep into the playoffs, Schaub's ranking will go up.

The thing is that Schaub's "limitations" aren't anything that's holding the Texans back. IMO.

20. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

I dunno, the longer and more tape people have on Matt the more they'll figure out that..

- we never throw the deep out route.
    - sitting on the shorter crossing routes will start to kill us.
    - his route progression seems slow

they'll start laying on the short routes and soon enough cover us up. Honestly I think Matt really missed having OD more than anything. That's the one key area that is really hard for teams to want to give up a DB to cover a TE, it's a mismatch either way and hard to account for.

Once we start playing a lot touger defenses we'll find out what Matt is all about, it's not like the AFC south has a ton of great defenses that we play consistently.