I think the Texans are turning the corner

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexansFight, Dec 7, 2008.

1. TexansFight

TexansFight All Pro

I am so frigging happy with today's win. We ****ing outplayed Green Bay all f'ing day long on offense and defense. But for the turnovers we would have won this game by 21 points.

We deserved the win today and I am glad we got it. Schaub was great today and he is a keeper. I have a HUGE mancrush on Slaton. Let's draft a bruiser like Glen Coffee from Bama and we will have an incredible running game.

Our offense looks very good. Our D played smart all day. Still fire Dick Smith because this D should have been playing like this all season long. With a new D coordinator and add a safety and we will win 11 games next year.

2. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I've been telling my friends that all season long, but I don't think he'll fall as far as I'd hoped.

As for turning the corner .... well, I'll buy that when they stop turning the ball over so damn much. At least today it wasn't the QB killing us. All the players that had been so sure-handed up to this point were the ones. So maybe they'll put it all together against the Tacks.

3. ziggy29

ziggy29 Hall of Fame

They need to get a handle on the turnover problem, but this team does look like it's growing up -- and learning how to find ways to win.

4. GP

GP Go Texans!

I remain a skeptic.

Don't get mad at me for raining on the parade! This was a great game. No, this was the BEST game all season long. I am putting this win in my back pocket and will carry it with me all week long.

I didn't do that with the Dolphins/Lions/Bengals wins.

This was a fun day.

buddyboy likes this.
  5. cowbellm00

cowbellm00 100% Houstonian

I agree completly. But honestly, the D is holding teams under 30+. That's been the diffrence Finally! We we so :dangit: with our DC Smith because we didn't even give our offense a chance to win. Today is a perfext example of that chance that hadn't been there in our other "close" losses.

I fear that with Smith changing the D this late in the season, and us playing like ourselves he might keep his job here. I still want him gone next season. I know we're going to here the "if it aint broke don't fix it" goofs come out, but I still say it's to little , to late for Smith.

" nanana na ... nanana na...hey hey hey, goodbye! " :texflag:

6. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

Iam skeptic has well good win nahhh dirty win 4 turnovers on the road that=LOse 95% of the time

turnovers costed us playoffs

7. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

it's a hell of a corner we've gotta turn... dunno if we're there yet, but we are certainly on our way. just get the bruising back, get someone other than mario and bulman to rush the passer, and grab a really good CB and maybe the corner'll be turned.

8. ziggy29

ziggy29 Hall of Fame

I don't disagree with that, but one of the marks that a team is making progress is that they learn how to win games like these.

The top teams aren't always the best team on the field and they don't always play mistake-free football. What they *do*, on the other hand, is not let their mistakes take them out of their game (contrast Schaub and Sage here), stay close and manage to pull a rabbit out of their hat in the 59th minute. And at the end of the game, you ask: "How could they win that game?"

When you start saying that a lot about a team, that team is a winner. It knows how to win when they didn't bring their A-game.

It's way early to pronounce this team has definitively "turned the corner," but it's showing some signs of it that we're not used to seeing in Texans football.

9. Fox

Fox All Pro

4 turn over's and we still come out with a win at Lambeau in that kind of weather... I'm pretty impressed with the game plan Kubiak and Co. put together to be able to overcome those types of obstacles and win a game on the road.

10. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I hope we are, but until that corner is actually turned I will remain skeptical along with many others.

And if we want to become a good team, Kubiak needs to stop taking stupid timeouts like the one where he went for 2. You shouldn't need to call a time out on an extra point...

11. J-Russ

J-Russ Hall of Fame

I seriously think the play-calling and defense responsibilities were stripped from Smith for awhile now. It would explain oh so much of how they were playing since the Brown game. Didn't Kubiak said he was being more 'involved' with the D now?

I think he means that he made some switch with the Defensive coordinator behind the scene, giving the responsibilities to Frank Bush. This might be his trial period, in which he is being tested as DC... so far he is passing with flying colors, if it is indeed true. I mean the packs for freakin 0/8 at one point in the game for third down conversion.

If this is truly Frank Bush doing on D in the last 3 or weeks, then I would have no complaints whatsoever if he is name our DC at the end of the season.

12. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I hope that's all true. Hopefully someone from the media asks Kubiak about it tomorrow in the 3:30 press conference

13. ReliantTexan

ReliantTexan Veteran

I have no problem with him making sure everyone is on the same page. It was a huge conversion, if we didn't convert that then they would have had the lead with under 2 minutes to

14. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Turnovers happen. But excessive turnovers are the signs of poor coaching.

Put the pads on those guys in practice and maybe they will learn how to hang onto the ball when they get hit.

15. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

We won a road game where we were favored to lose by over a touchdown. Let the complaining commence!!

*oh brother*

16. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Everybody is happy with this win.

But only the Texans could dominate an entire game and still come out on the losing end in that fashion.

Just because we are happy doesn't mean we have to be satisfied.

We really really need to cut down on the turnovers if we want this to be a winning team any time soon.

17. gjmac2

gjmac2 Veteran

I posted this in another thread.....

The win today was great, no question. But the turnovers have been a problem since Kubiak took over. This team will not take the next step until the turnovers are corrected.

If it's not corrected, it could cost Kubiak his job.

18. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I almost hate to break it to y'all, but our D didn't actually do that well. They gave up over 5 yards a carry to Grant and Rodgers had almost 300 yards passing. What kept their team from scoring too much was mostly all our offense's long drives. A long drive with a fumble at the 1 yd. line is like a stupendous punt, except that it burns a LOT of time off the clock. It's like kicking a punt that soars for 8 freaking minutes and is caught at the 3 by a defender, lol.

Even with those long drives by our O, the D (again) gave up over 5 yds. a carry and 295 passing yards. Did the D suck? No, I'd have to say they did sort of alright, but not that good. Best thing the D did was the 3 and out before JJ pulled a....well, JJ on the miffed punt, and of course the sack by Ryans to put them out of field-goal range. THAT was huge!!! :fans:

19. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

The turnovers today were not on Kubiak, IMO.
    Owen "Ironhands" Daniels puts the ball on the ground?
    Steve "Glue" Slaton puts it down?

Schaub just returned from being out a few weeks, and he only had the one INT. The other two were flukes that we usually do not see.

All in all, they looked pretty composed and careful out there with the football. There weren't nearly as many "closecalls" as we're used to with Rosenchopper

20. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Yeah, I think the fumbles were mostly a result of frozen footballs. The commentator even said that the Texans weren't giving them away; the Packers were forcing them.