I think it's time for Romeo to step back in!

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Mangler, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Mangler

Mangler All Pro

The defensive play calls were a bunch of head scratchers on Sunday against the Chiefs. Seems we were on blitz mode every time it wows third down, ignoring the fact that we were getting torched every time since we'd be wide open for the intermediate routes which Alex Smith is notorious for throwing to. It was 3rd and long...Blitz...3rd and short...Blitz...third and medium...Blitz!

Now, I love Mike Vrabel as much as the next guy, but we need to turn this thing around! Especially after losing Watt and Mercilus.

Seegara likes this.
  2. Max

Max All Pro

I think the difference that we're seeing this year isn't as much Vrabel making the calls as it is that our secondary isn't as good as years past. Yes, we blitz a lot -- but we blitzed a lot w/ RAC as well.

Last year I started a thread about concerns for our DLine because it didn't feel like we were getting a lot of pressure from them. It felt the same way to me this year even before JJ and Mercilus went down -- under RAC, we just don't generate a lot of pressure w/out the blitz and it's the same now. The difference now is that when the blitz gets picked up, our DB's aren't covering as well and there are guys open. My preference would be to blitz less as well and do a better job with DL stunts than what we have in the past rather than having guys freelancing like JJ liked to. But I don't think RAC is going to fix our problems any better from the sidelines than he can from the booth.

3. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

We blitz alot?

thunderkyss likes this.
  4. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

I watched a different game.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  5. TejasTom

TejasTom Site Contributor

We've had dramatic improvements after bye week in past. Let's see if Vrabel can self scout and get it fixed.

thunderkyss likes this.
  6. Max

Max All Pro

7. sandman

sandman Brexit Advisor

So let's turn this defense around, but without Watt and Mercilus? OK...

thunderkyss likes this.
  8. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

Max likes this.
  9. Max

Max All Pro

We bring BMc a lot and an occasional cb. Agreed that we don't get a lot of pressure though. Without the blitz, our DL, including JD looks like they're doing a slow dance with the OL most of the time on passing plays (even w/ Mercilus and JJ w/ opposing double teams). You wouldn't think it would be like that looking at our talent on paper. Even worse now with JJ and Mercilus gone. The scheme has been more about individuals getting penetration rather than coordinated stunts. Maybe this will change with our current personnel though.

adama51 likes this.
  10. Seegara

Seegara Hall of Fame

. I agree 800%. We are blitzing way too much, especially on 3rd and long. An experienced passing attack will burn you most every time, especially when they know it's coming.
    . The loss of 2 top players, or even 11 starters, doesn't impact a defense as much as the lack of a good coordinator. If Crennell came back we could still have a great defense. I want to see that combined with a productive offense for at least one year before Crennell retires. The FO stumbled on a decent O but at the same time they just had to throw away what they had on the other side of the LOS.

Mangler likes this.

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

They generated quite a bit of pressure , that pressure just didn't get home. Credit to Smith for escaping pressure and making several big plays on 3rd and long. He played a hell of a game.

Texas Jake, ATXtexanfan and JB like this.
  12. banned1976

banned1976 American

I know I'm going to regret this but I was kind of missing Brooks Reed last Sunday.

13. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

I didn't remember much blitzing on third down. We rushed three & four which allowed for huge gaps that Smith escaped through.

14. dwight pugoy

dwight pugoy Rookie

Smith might be MVP when it is all said and done this season. He just looks different. The throws he used to goof up in the past and hitting between the numbers. What a season by Smith. His O-line is a Wall. Only we place as much emphasis on building O-line like the Chiefs and the Pats.......

15. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

Defense isn't making plays. Secondary is slightly above average. No pass rushers

This team is no longer a defensive standout. It's all about the offense. Gotta out score the opponent.

We really miss bouye and no Johnson in secondary

Double Barrel likes this.
  16. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

KCs OL was down two starters when we played them. Their LG was an UDFA we released in 2014.

Tom Brady has been sacked 15 times already. 5 by us.

vupac1, Texas Jake and PapaL like this.
  17. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

I'm thinking they're going to look pretty good come Sunday.

The rest of the year I think they'll be functional. Not spectacular in any way, but good enough to win.

18. Texas Jake

Texas Jake Veteran

The biggest problem for our defense is not the lack of pressure from a pass rush, it is the coverage allowing the QB to get rid of the ball too quickly to receivers who are wide freaking open. Fix the coverage and you do a lot to fix the pass rush.

Corrosion likes this.
  19. Arky

Arky Veteran

I think one of the reasons the Texans lost the KC game was KC had 0 turnovers. We had one (the Foreman fumble).

The Saints won a Superb Owl with kind of a crappy defense that was excellent at creating turnovers....

TejasTom and Texas Jake like this.
  20. Mangler

Mangler All Pro

Quick passes will always work when you have the defense blitzing on 3rd down every time. KC knew what we were gonna do because we did the same damn thing over and over, and quick passes/check downs are Alex Smith's bread and butter.