Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

I think Hollings might be staying

Grid

All Pro
With Baxter being cut.. and Jason Anderson also.. that leaves us with this lineup at RB/FB

DD, Morency, Wells, Hollings, Norris. (we also have a RB named Adam Mathews but i dunno whats going on with him.. maybe he is one of our NFLE guys)

Now.. considering the injury issues we have had at RB.. we need to make sure we have depth there.

SO, if we released hollings.. that leaves us with:

RB: Davis, Morency
FB: Norris, Wells

The reason I think Hollings wont be cut.. is because that lineup there shows a lack of depth.

If Davis was to go down.. who is going to step up? Morency or Wells? I would say probably wells at this point. Morency looks pretty good but he still makes rookie mistakes.

So then that leaves us with NO depth at FB. if Norris was then to go down.. that would leave us with Wells at FB and Morency at RB. If either one of them go down.. we are gonna have to pull in someone off the street.

I think you gotta keep Hollings around, just to be safe.

oh yeah hollings will stay...he'll be third string but he'll stay

it'll be davis, morency, hollings

fb: norris, wells

Hollings will stay for political reasons more than talent. It's tough to let go of a 2nd rounder after 2 years without looking bad.

I wouldn't be surprised if they give someone else a look. A couple of guys that jump out are Anthony Davis and Cedric Cobbs. Davis was a very good player at Wisconsin when he was healthy. Cobbs is a big bruiser type that was talked so much about in the offseason.

Hollings will stay for political reasons more than talent. It's tough to let go of a 2nd rounder after 2 years without looking bad.

they cut Sharper, Foreman, and Glenn. I seriously doubt that our coaches are worried about saving face. they want to win. period.

Yah i wouldnt mind seeing us bring in someone else to play 3rd string. Hollings has shown that he cant cut the mustard.... couldnt hurt to bring in someone else.

Most teams 3rd back contribute mostly on special teams, so I think Hollings will still make the roster (but wouldn't shock me to see him cut). While Hollings has not been impressive between the tackles he has speed and can be productive on the coverage teams.

the wonger need food said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they give someone else a look. A couple of guys that jump out are Anthony Davis and Cedric Cobbs. Davis was a very good player at Wisconsin when he was healthy. Cobbs is a big bruiser type that was talked so much about in the offseason.

I thought Hollings was a 3rd rounder. Anyway, they may still release him if they can get something solid off the waiver wires ya never know.

Grid said:
Has Hollings really been that effective on special teams? ive honestly never noticed him.
I personally have seen him in the game on one ST's play and that was against the Cowboys this Saturday, he was a gunner on a punt and ran into the punt returner causing a kick catch interference...I think he's a waste and just taking up a spot on the depth chart, he just doesn't seem to have his head in the game when he gets the chance IMHO.

I really think Hollings must go. I have not seen this guy do one productive thing. He has not made many yards in the preseason...all he has done is take them away with stupid penalties.

I think we are much better off bringing in a cheap FA or something...give someone else a shot. I am confident in Davis, Morency, and Wells..but we do need one Bull Back like a Jerome Bettis who can pound through the goal line. I think the preaseason showed that Davis does not have the size/power to bust through on goal line situations. I have a feeling we are gonna have alot of those situations this season.

rockabilly said:
I think the preaseason showed that Davis does not have the size/power to bust through on goal line situations. I have a feeling we are gonna have alot of those situations this season.
He was automatic last year at the goal line, dont judge his goal line talent by 4 rushing plays in the preseason. I dont remember the exact number, but around 11 of Davis rushing TDs were from 2 or 1 yards out...

Fiddy said:
He was automatic last year at the goal line, dont judge his goal line talent by 4 rushing plays in the preseason. I dont remember the exact number, but around 11 of Davis rushing TDs were from 2 or 1 yards out...

Yes, he was. We can keep Hollings (I guess), but I don't want to see him playing RB unless DD, Wells, and Morency are ALL hurt--or DD, Morency, and Norris. Hollings is a bust, but, hey, if you have to resort to your 3rd/4th string RB, then you're in trouble anyway.

They better keep Wells and Morency on the active roster, regardless of what they do about Hollings.

Just remember that J. Wells is HB first, FB second. No way that Hollings beats him out as HB.

The way i see it is like this. DD, Morency, Wells, then Hollings. for FB, it's Norris then Wells. Of all 5 i've mentioned, Wells is the most solid and productive of all RBs we have on special teams, which makes him more valuable. I was truly a Wells hater in the first 2 season, but he's done alot to impress me since then, so i've taken a liking to Wells.

I am really 50/50 right now as far as if I think Hollings will be cut. He hasn't shown anything this offseason, although he has been playing with the 2nd and 3rd teams. I doubt we keep him just because he was a 2nd round pick, if anything cut him or try to get a 7th round pick for him. If we carry Davis, Morency, Norris, and Wells, we still have 3 RB's and 2 FB's as Wells can play both. Maybe we carry the four and cut Hollings to make room for an extra WR who can play both WR and KR/PR which means we could have an extra WR compared to what we usually carry. All I know is after this past offseason and draft nothing would surprise me at this point, not that I am complaining about this past offseason... :texflag:

unless, as wonger stated, that hollings sticks around for political reasons ... i really dont see any reason to keep him. what has he done past maybe highschool to earn a roster spot?

if norris gets hurt, we might look at hiring a fill-in fullback, but unless that happens we're doing just fine with DD - Wells - Morency + Norris. we dont play enough 2-back formations to warrant a second FB (outside of wells being able to fill in), and if needed we simply prep a TE or redzone D-lineman.

Grid said:
they cut Sharper, Foreman, and Glenn. I seriously doubt that our coaches are worried about saving face. they want to win. period.
Yah i wouldnt mind seeing us bring in someone else to play 3rd string. Hollings has shown that he cant cut the mustard.... couldnt hurt to bring in someone else.
College Draft picks are the lifeblood of any team's future, especially what is still a very new team like ours. Sharper, Foreman, & Glenn were still very good, maybe even in their prime, when we took them in the X-Draft but they were temporary personnel in the interim until we got to this point in our developement where we could realistically challenge for a playoff slot. Right now is when high college draft picks for young players like Joppru and Hollings should be playing key roles on our team and paying big dividends in production. Nobody should blame Cass for Bennie's terrible luck, but Hollings was a big mistake that's on Cass more than anybody else, and if he's a second day pick he's already long gone.

I think Hollings might be staying

say it aint so! say it aint so!

when he brings it on game day ill think about changing my mind. i have still yet to see him produce. potential yes, but no production

Yes you are right about that, the staff is not worried about letting the 2002 team faces go, after letting Milller, Sharper, Glen, who's next Carr maybe Kris Brown, I can definatley see they want to win after seeing some of these cuts, I do think we need tony in there for the depth, just for injury reasons.

Grid said:
Now.. considering the injury issues we have had at RB.. we need to make sure we have depth there.

SO, if we released hollings.. that leaves us with:

RB: Davis, Morency
FB: Norris, Wells

The reason I think Hollings wont be cut.. is because that lineup there shows a lack of depth.

If Davis was to go down.. who is going to step up? Morency or Wells? I would say probably wells at this point. Morency looks pretty good but he still makes rookie mistakes.

So then that leaves us with NO depth at FB. if Norris was then to go down.. that would leave us with Wells at FB and Morency at RB. If either one of them go down.. we are gonna have to pull in someone off the street.

I think you gotta keep Hollings around, just to be safe.

I just read that Matt Murphy has been taking snaps at fullback as well and that Dom expects to use him as depth for game day rosters and flexibility. Hollings may be expendable after all. Let's just hope the FO can own up to it's mistake and recognize it's time to move on.

Chris Cooley lines up at fullback for the skins regularly so why not. Put a big body there to block it makes sense. As for Hollings I wonder what he thinks considering he's never played rb much in his life. He must question himself constantly putting even more pressure on himself to perform.

Hollings can go without it affecting our depth.

Morency might make "rookie mistakes" as one poster claims, but I'll take his ability to break a big run every now and then over the other times when he might make a "rookie mistake" and tryo to cut when he should turn up field, etc.

A rookie has no way of getting around rookie mistakes, it's just part of the first year experience.

After two years of Hollings not living up to the hype of our FO...I think it's time to give someone else (Morency) the chance at being the 2 HB.

If he isn't cut, I won't think it to be a HUGE mistake. But, it's the right call to cut him this year if you ask me. If there's any way to put him on some sort of practice squad or PUP...that'd be OK, too. Can only one player be on the PUP, or is there a limit? I forget. Anyway, I am not in favor of keeping him on the active roster because we need to retain as many receivers as possible with the amount of good receivers we have had this offseason.

It looks like the Eagles might want to get Hollings as a backup. I say let them have him. It would be nice if we could get something in return though.

Buzz said:
It looks like the Eagles want to get Hollings as a backup. I say let them have him. It would be nice if we could get something for him though.

I think if you cut a player, and dont trade him for a pick or another player, then you get a compensation pick from the league.

Im not sure how the formula is used, but I think if you loose a couple of guys, and dont get any back for them, then you get more comp picks.

Brando said:
Where did you here this??
It's basically a rumor right now, the kind of "a source close to the team" thing. I changed that last post to say "might" since I can't find a link on it.

DC_ROCK said:
I think if you cut a player, and dont trade him for a pick or another player, then you get a compensation pick from the league.

Im not sure how the formula is used, but I think if you loose a couple of guys, and dont get any back for them, then you get more comp picks.

It only works for FA's. Cutting people doesn't lead to any compensation.

I believe Grid is correct on this one . By the looks of the roster Hollings most likely will be staying .... much to the dismay of MANY on this board ..... me included .
Hollings is listed as 3rd on the depth chart ahead of both Morency and Adam Matthews . With Wells as the primary back-up at both RB and FB one injury could make the team quite thin at both positions ....

Morency needs to be the #2 RB, move Wells to #3 RB and #2 FB and he still contributes with special teams. Wells has turned out to be one versatile guy..

I sure wouldn't worry about this coaching staff giving Hollings 20 carries while Wells and Morency sit on the bench.

Buzz said:
It looks like the Eagles might want to get Hollings as a backup. I say let them have him. It would be nice if we could get something in return though.

YES! We can package him with Banks and/or Ragone for McNabb. Big Dave would be a major upgrade at backup QB.

dalemurphy said:
I sure wouldn't worry about this coaching staff giving Hollings 20 carries while Wells and Morency sit on the bench.

Im with you on this one ......Not a chance .... I doubt he will get two carries all season as long as DD , Wells and Morency are healthy . :texflag:

Buzz said:
Reported today on WIP radio, Philly sports talk station. The guy reporting is about 50/50 in knowing what he is talking about. I did hear the report when it was given, but no one else (tv, papers) have said anything about Hollings.

After this 3rd quarter fumble .... I think his fate is sealed . Get ready to get cut Tony Hollings :goodnight

he's got to go...there is no way in hell anyone can even attempt to make an argument for keeping him...I've seen little leaguers rack up more yards than him.

"Morency needs to be the #2 RB, move Wells to #3 RB and #2 FB and he still contributes with special teams. Wells has turned out to be one versatile guy.."

-- Texan 279

------------------------------------------------

Agreed.

Back