Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

I say its all on Schaub's Play and Kubiak's Playcalling

so we run more in the first game and pass more i9n the 2nd, any guess to which one we lost?

That's the usual game plan for most teams.
Teams that don't have a good running game still work to control the lead with short and screen passes.

But as far as the first half goes, the opposite of what you think is what happened.

We actually passed more in the first game then in the second game( in the first half - and with more deep attempts as I already mentioned.)

The pass/run ratio was 21/14 as compared to 14/11.
(ie. we passed twice as much as we ran in the first game, and only 27% more in the second game.)

That's right there also shows a very different game plan between the two games.

Ironically enough, I wouldn't have had a problem with you throwing Jacoby in our face. The fact is, he was drafted to be a #2 receiver as an opposite threat to AJ and after 6 years he didn't "get it".... I wish him all the best, but it was right for the Texans to let him go. He was making way too much money for what he was producing.

But I didn't.

Both have been sucking it up lately.

Schaub has no experience in the playoffs, he has folded in the primetime games this year and with #1 seed/bye on the line. What confidence does he have? Especially with the right side of theOline?

Kubiak might not be on the hot seat because of the playoffs last year, the Division title this year and the playoffs in 12= but a 1 and done could jeapordize a long tenure.

So the Oline's play won't have anything to do with the offense and nor will the RB's in which this team's success offensively is predicated off of??

I'm amazed at how many people still don't know what the Texans offense is or the fact that there are other factors then just the QB that have to create points on the board.

People just want to bash on Schaub at any chance they get.

So the Oline's play won't have anything to do with the offense and nor will the RB's in which this team's success offensively is predicated off of??

I'm amazed at how many people still don't know what the Texans offense is or the fact that there are other factors then just the QB that have to create points on the board.

People just want to bash on Schaub at any chance they get.

oline hasnt been perfect but they have been good enough to win.

stop scapegoating the oline. its shameless and disingenuous. The oline has 3 freaking pro bowlers.

how many teams can say that?

you act as if the texan oline is leading the league in sacks given up. smdh....

oline hasnt been perfect but they have been good enough to win.

stop scapegoating the oline. its shameless and disingenuous. The oline has 3 freaking pro bowlers.

Are you freaking totally blind? Did you not watch the last few games? I don't care if the entire line is full of HOF's. They haven't done a good job lately, and they have to protect a guy who isn't mobile. THAT"S THEIR JOB. Learn what football is about and how it's played. An oline is there to block to the QB can have time to make his throws. The only one scapegoating is you by trying to put an entire game all on a QB before it's even played no matter what circumstances help him or possibly hinder him. It's a stupid idea from the jump. This is an offense that is a run first offense. Our passing game is predicated off of play action and bootlegs. That means if our running game isn't doing much then we'll need a great performance from the Oline to give the QB time to pass the ball on limited plays.

you act as if the texan oline is leading the league in sacks given up. smdh....

You act as if an entire offense is all about what a QB does and that other factors don't help him or hinder him. Your entire thread title suggests that. Stop trying to put everything on one player in a team sport. This isn't MMA or boxing.

Are you freaking totally blind? Did you not watch the last few games? I don't care if the entire line is full of HOF's. They haven't done a good job lately, and they have to protect a guy who isn't mobile. THAT"S THEIR JOB. Learn what football is about and how it's played. An oline is there to block to the QB can have time to make his throws. The only one scapegoating is you by trying to put an entire game all on a QB before it's even played no matter what circumstances help him or possibly hinder him. It's a stupid idea from the jump. This is an offense that is a run first offense. Our passing game is predicated off of play action and bootlegs. That means if our running game isn't doing much then we'll need a great performance from the Oline to give the QB time to pass the ball on limited plays.

You act as if an entire offense is all about what a QB does and that other factors don't help him or hinder him. Your entire thread title suggests that. Stop trying to put everything on one player in a team sport. This isn't MMA or boxing.

you're the one that's freaking blind. pass protection is also on the qb not just the offensive line.

i get that matt is no rg3, but there are things that a qb can do to help an offensive line.

its called being cagey in the pocket.

-get rid of the ball quicker
-throw the ball away
-step up in the pocket
-hit your check downs faster

Things that drew brees and another statue, tom brady excel at unlike schaub.

I was watching the nfl network and the playbook guys were breaking down schaub's play and it showed schaub not being able to pull the trigger with guys wide open and with him having protection.

you're the one that's being blind or being obtuse if you cant see schaub is at fault for a lot of those sacks.

you're the one that's freaking blind. pass protection is also on the qb not just the offensive line.

i get that matt is no rg3, but there are things that a qb can do to help an offensive line.

-throw the ball away
-step up in the pocket

I was watching the nfl network and the playbook guys were breaking down schaub's play and it showed schaub not being able to pull the trigger with guys wide open and with him having protection.

you're the one that's being blind or being obtuse if you cant see schaub is at fault for a lot of those sacks.

The Texans Oline gave up 15 sacks before the NE game. And it took him 27 carries to get that 100 yard game.

Since the NE game the Texans have given up 12 sacks. That's practically the same amount in the 4 games then what they gave up in the first 12 games. If you want to ignore that because you have a vendetta against our QB, then just admit that you don't like the guy because he's not a flashy QB. But don't sit here and say you've watched these games if you're going to blame everything on the QB and totally deny that the Oline's been struggling.

Arian Foster has had one 100 yard game in the last 5 GAMES.

Now I'm sorry, but if you can't see that there has been a problem with pass protection, run protection, and with the running game period, then you're just denying things on purpose or don't understand simple math.

Schaub may have been struggling as well, but to deny that the rest of the offense has and to place blame on one player of an offense before the game even starts is showing your agenda to bash a player because you don't like him. Go ahead and deny the rest of the problems on the offense that was ranked 2nd in scoring just a few weeks ago, but the numbers indicate that you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

-throw the ball away
-step up in the pocket

I thought Schaub looked great the first 9 or 10 games of this season. However, there is no doubt he has played poorly the past few weeks and has been late on a number of balls.

That being said, Schaub at his best (which is very good), will always need more time to throw than Brady and Manning- his delivery and stride are somewhat longer... That doesn't mean he can't play at an elite level with reasonable talent around him... But, he's not doing it now and only partly due to the offensive line performance.

The Texans Oline gave up 15 sacks before the NE game. And it took him 27 carries to get that 100 yard game.

Since the NE game the Texans have given up 12 sacks. That's practically the same amount in the 4 games then what they gave up in the first 12 games. If you want to ignore that because you have a vendetta against our QB, then just admit that you don't like the guy because he's not a flashy QB. But don't sit here and say you've watched these games if you're going to blame everything on the QB and totally deny that the Oline's been struggling.

Arian Foster has had one 100 yard game in the last 5 GAMES.

Now I'm sorry, but if you can't see that there has been a problem with pass protection, run protection, and with the running game period, then you're just denying things on purpose or don't understand simple math.

Schaub may have been struggling as well, but to deny that the rest of the offense has and to place blame on one player of an offense before the game even starts is showing your agenda to bash a player because you don't like him. Go ahead and deny the rest of the problems on the offense that was ranked 2nd in scoring just a few weeks ago, but the numbers indicate that you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

im sorry but you just come off as a pathetic schaub slurper to me.

this is the nfl. the pocket always crumble. the entire defense is trying to go after the qb. you're not always going to have perfect protection.

If you have to get perfect protection in order to succeed then its time to look for a new quarterback.

You trying to portray the oline that has 3 freaking probowlers as some historically bad line just reeks of shameless dishonesty.

Im going to say it again,

this oline hasnt been perfect but they have been more than good enough to win. The QB plays a huge role in pass protection, not just the oline.

For you to blame the oline in order to find a scapegoat for matt's piss poor play is pathetic.

go learn some football kid.

Both have been sucking it up lately.

Schaub has no experience in the playoffs, he has folded in the primetime games this year and with #1 seed/bye on the line. What confidence does he have? Especially with the right side of theOline?

Kubiak might not be on the hot seat because of the playoffs last year, the Division title this year and the playoffs in 12= but a 1 and done could jeapordize a long tenure.

Dude you are nothing but a troll! How about you go watch the Ravens get beat by a rookie QB and start a thread about how your team sucks now and their future looks like its only going to get worse.

im sorry but you just come off as a pathetic schaub slurper to me.

this is the nfl. the pocket always crumble. the entire defense is trying to go after the qb. you're not always going to have perfect protection.

If you have to get perfect protection in order to succeed then its time to look for a new quarterback.

You trying to portray the oline that has 3 freaking probowlers as some historically bad line just reeks of shameless dishonesty.

Im going to say it again,

this oline hasnt been perfect but they have been more than good enough to win. The QB plays a huge role in pass protection, not just the oline.

For you to blame the oline in order to find a scapegoat for matt's piss poor play is pathetic.

go learn some football kid.

I posted numbers that indicate what I am saying is true. It can't be argued. It's fact as the numbers indicate a poor running game and poor protection in that time span. You have posted nothing but spewage because you hate a player without even addressing the lack of 100 yard games in the last 5 games or the increase in sack numbers in the last 4 games. Sorry, but I'll take my arguments that at least have some facts supporting them as opposed to some band wagon fan who is wanting to place blame on our players before the game even starts and is ready to jump off a cliff. You create an account just because we had a bad stretch of games and can't even address real stats that effect an offense. Go back and root for the Cowboys or something, because you don't watch this team that often from what I can tell. If we win, I'll be celebrating while you'll be sulking and getting ready to blame Schaub before the next game starts. Go Texans!!!

Now find another band wagon to jump off of.

I posted numbers that indicate what I am saying is true. It can't be argued. It's fact as the numbers indicate a poor running game and poor protection in that time span. You have posted nothing but spewage because you hate a player without even addressing the lack of 100 yard games in the last 5 games or the increase in sack numbers in the last 4 games. Sorry, but I'll take my arguments that at least have some facts supporting them as opposed to some band wagon fan who is wanting to place blame on our players before the game even starts and is ready to jump off a cliff. You create an account just because we had a bad stretch of games and can't even address real stats that effect an offense. Go back and root for the Cowboys or something, because you don't watch this team that often from what I can tell. If we win, I'll be celebrating while you'll be sulking and getting ready to blame Schaub before the next game starts. Go Texans!!!

Now find another band wagon to jump off of.

your numbers didnt back up squat.

12 sacks in 4 games?????

wow no way!!!!!!!! THAT'S THE WORST IN HISTORY!!!!

GTFO PLEASE.

look at what other QBs have to go through with their line. look at what rogers and luck have to work with.

im not going anywhere. just because you dont pump sunshine and rainbows up everybody's asses doesnt make you a bandwagoner.

im born and bred in houston and all of my critiques are warranted and i aint joining anything. Il be right here praising if its warranted and bashing if its warranted.

DEAL WITH IT.

your numbers didnt back up squat.

12 sacks in 4 games?????

wow no way!!!!!!!! THAT'S THE WORST IN HISTORY!!!!

GTFO PLEASE.

look at what other QBs have to go through with their line. look at what rogers and luck have to work with.

im not going anywhere. just because you dont pump sunshine and rainbows up everybody's asses doesnt make you a bandwagoner.

im born and bred in houston and all of my critiques are warranted and i aint joining anything. Il be right here praising if its warranted and bashing if its warranted.

DEAL WITH IT.

Wow, your only rebuttal is to compare Schaub to a HOF QB and an all world rookie talent. Basically you're saying if your QB isn't like them, then they're garbage. Totally different offenses and different skill sets, and if you think that Rogers doesn't have a plethora of weapons then you might want to study the Packers. Did you just start watching the Texans? Schaub's deficiencies have always been there. None of this stuff with him is new. Yet, the Texans have still had pretty good offenses year after year. Hell, I'd like to replace Schaub, but your posts are nothing but hyperbole on him. You give no credit at all.

And what really makes your entire argument so laughable and uninformed was where you said that the Oline has 3 Pro Bowlers so their play couldn't be criticized no matter what happened in the last few weeks. Yet, you obviously are clueless to the fact that Schaub is a pro bowler as well, so by your own argument Schaub is not able to be criticized since he is a pro bowler like the Olineman. Guess you can't criticize Schaub either then. Lol! Dummy.

Dude you are nothing but a troll! How about you go watch the Ravens get beat by a rookie QB and start a thread about how your team sucks now and their future looks like its only going to get worse.

How did i get this far in life without you?

Its over....I can't bear it anymore:toropalm:

Matter of fact, I did score a ticket to go watch the last home game of one the 2 greatest Linebackers to ever play the game today. For Free even!

Bet that crushes you...

I'm sorry for you- I really am.

I don't think Kubiak would have these problems if he had Brady, either Manning, Brees, Rodgers, or quite possibly about 5 other somewhat lesser QBs.

Schaub is like Kubiak himself; he should be a QB Coach, not a QB.

I think it's on the defense raising the level of play and taking over the game.
Fortuneatly, I was right. Because Schaub and Kubiak did not elevate their game. Next week, I'm more likely to agree with the OP premise.

I don't think Kubiak would have these problems if he had Brady, either Manning, Brees, Rodgers, or quite possibly about 5 other somewhat lesser QBs.

Schaub is like Kubiak himself; he should be a QB Coach, not a QB.

Yeah, a coach would look better with a top 5 qb in the league....way to go out on a limb there partner..:hankpalm:

Yeah, a coach would look better with a top 5 qb in the league....way to go out on a limb there partner..:hankpalm:

Yeah, big time statement there. Our coach would do better with a top 5 QB. Who would have thought that. Lol!

What I don't get from these people that seem like they just started watching football who make these statements is how they think they're going to get a top 5 QB. They think that we can just go into the off season and demand Tom Brady or Andrew Luck from their other team and we just buy him like he's at Target or something. These people have zero cred when they say that kind of thing. I definitely want to replace Schaub, but this whole "if we had a guy like Rodgers or Brady" crap is such nonsense, because we don't have a guy like that and there is no way to "just get one" when every other team in the league wants one. So essentially we're like one of 25 other teams who are trying to get that kind of guy and there isn't even always one that is in every draft. Some years are bad QB years for the draft even. People just talk to talk when they say that. Who wouldn't want a top 5 QB? I know that I would, but there has to be a plan to get one, and more then likely that will involve the draft somehow. People talk like getting an elite QB is as easy as getting a competent kicker in any given off season.

Yeah, big time statement there. Our coach would do better with a top 5 QB. Who would have thought that. Lol!

What I don't get from these people that seem like they just started watching football who make these statements is how they think they're going to get a top 5 QB. They think that we can just go into the off season and demand Tom Brady or Andrew Luck from their other team and we just buy him like he's at Target or something. These people have zero cred when they say that kind of thing. I definitely want to replace Schaub, but this whole "if we had a guy like Rodgers or Brady" crap is such nonsense, because we don't have a guy like that and there is no way to "just get one" when every other team in the league wants one. So essentially we're like one of 25 other teams who are trying to get that kind of guy and there isn't even always one that is in every draft. Some years are bad QB years for the draft even. People just talk to talk when they say that. Who wouldn't want a top 5 QB? I know that I would, but there has to be a plan to get one, and more then likely that will involve the draft somehow. People talk like getting an elite QB is as easy as getting a competent kicker in any given off season.

They'll cite Denver getting Manning and say the Texans didn't even try to talk to him about coming here. Nevermind the fact Denver had gobs of cap room whereas we had none. It's like they've played Madden this whole time with salary cap 'off'. :spin:

I think for the most part, those guys are saying to draft someone with a first day pick. Let him sit for the first year or until Schaub gets hurt & go from there.

It makes sense, if you think Schaub has hit his ceiling and/or is injury prone.

They've also said that we should go after a guy like Cutler (doesn't look like he'll be available, but if he was...) or Flacco or even Alex Smith & that person would look as good as Schaub because of their added mobility & Kubiak's "system"

Which also makes sense. This idea that Matt is irreplaceable, or that we can not find someone better is actually sillier & defeatist especially if you think there is room for improvement.

I don't believe you have to have an "elite" QB to win the Super Bowl. Eli Manning has won 2 & I don't care what you say, he's not elite. Take away that pass rush & let him win a Super Bowl, then I might change my mind. Our pass rush doesn't look like the Giants, but our defense is just as good & I think good enough to win with Schaub at QB.

I also don't care to waste draft picks looking for diamonds when we've got enough problems to address.

But that's just me.

They'll cite Denver getting Manning and say the Texans didn't even try to talk to him about coming here. Nevermind the fact Denver had gobs of cap room whereas we had none. It's like they've played Madden this whole time with salary cap 'off'. :spin:

That is correct, the Texans didn't have the cap space. Had the Texans been able to make a run at Manning, would they have? Not a chance in hell. So let's be honest about that.

So much for Andrew Luck being better than Schaub. Just threw a pick that sealed the win for BAL.

Gawd this is easy using soaper logic

That is correct, the Texans didn't have the cap space. Had the Texans been able to make a run at Manning, would they have? Not a chance in hell. So let's be honest about that.

Do you think they should have? When has something like this ever worked out for the Texans? Boselli? Green? Moulds?

I love Peyton Manning, but I guarantee if we'd have picked him up & put Schaub on the bench, things just wouldn't have worked out for us.

I know that sounds stupid, but outright cutting Matt Schaub (or not extending his contract) sounds just as stupid.

Do you think they should have?

In hindsight, sure. At the time, both were coming off major injuries. Signing Peyton was great for the Broncos. Extending Schaub not looking like a good move for the Texans.

In hindsight, sure. At the time, both were coming off major injuries. Signing Peyton was great for the Broncos. Extending Schaub not looking like a good move for the Texans.

So, let's see, to sign Manning...

Guaranteed:

Mario walks
Meyers walks
Brisiel walks
Foster walks
Meco traded
AJ traded
Winston Cut

Alternatively, maybe Manning would have signed for the Vet minimum?

Did you read the discussion? The premise was "What if the Texans had the cap room? ".

If they would have had the cap room .... they probably would have taken a shot with Peyton.

Gary would have been doing cartwheels thinking about the prospects of coaching a QB as talented as Manning.

Did you read the discussion? The premise was "What if the Texans had the cap room? ".

You agreed that the Texans didn't have the cap room, correct?

Now, let's assume that the Texans had the cap room? How?
I ask the question because in the day and age of cap space, you only have so much to build a roster.

You can play like schizz for a year or two by cutting a bunch of high price guys to roll over some cap space, but then you still have to put the money back to buy enough talent overall to go for the big prize.

The Broncoas had it all.
Like I said, they finally benefited from the Cutler's trade that gave them additional high picks; ie. they've been able to play with lower paid young talents now (but in the future, by their next contract, they will have problems.)
So they were able to roll over some cap space to sign Manning.
Now they are right up there.

And they will have to resign Clady next year.
They should be able to manage that; however, it will get really dicey from there on out.

Having the cap space for the short term is one thing; how to handle the long term is another thing.

And then, there's risk.
What if Manning goes down, especially early in the year?
Whoever they are able to put it there wouldn't be able to make that offense go.
Their season would be in the toilet, yet again.

So much for Andrew Luck being better than Schaub. Just threw a pick that sealed the win for BAL.

Luck as a rookie led his team to the playoffs after inheriting the worst team in the league. The Texans have way more talent than the Colts but Luck led many 4th qtr comebacks.

How many 4th qtr comebacks has Schaub led his team to victory in the 5 yrs he's been here? I bet you that Luck has as many this season(his rookie yr) as Schaub has had in his 5 yrs in Houston.

BTW, Schaub has led the team to the playoffs as many times in five yrs, (1) as Luck has in his rookie yr. (1) But carry on with your Schab love fest. I used to be a Schaub guy, but because of the foot injury he's no longer capable of winning a SB, IMHO and every yr Schaub is the starting QB from this point forward is a yr that Luck and the Colts will have to catch up to the Texans talent wise. TBH, they really aren't that far away from being equal to the Texans talent wise as things stand now.

Each yr Schaub is the starting QB is another yr AJ/Brown/Cushing/Watt/AF etc.... get a yr older without having the chance to win a SB.

Luck as a rookie led his team to the playoffs after inheriting the worst team in the league. The Texans have way more talent than the Colts but Luck led many 4th qtr comebacks.

How many 4th qtr comebacks has Schaub led his team to victory in the 5 yrs he's been here? I bet you that Luck has as many this season(his rookie yr) as Schaub has had in his 5 yrs in Houston.

BTW, Schaub has led the team to the playoffs as many times in five yrs, (1) as Luck has in his rookie yr. (1) But carry on with your Schab love fest. I used to be a Schaub guy, but because of the foot injury he's no longer capable of winning a SB, IMHO and every yr Schaub is the starting QB from this point forward is a yr that Luck and the Colts will have to catch up to the Texans talent wise. TBH, they really aren't that far away from being equal to the Texans talent wise as things stand now.

Each yr Schaub is the starting QB is another yr AJ/Brown/Cushing/Watt/AF etc.... get a yr older without having the chance to win a SB.

Schaub - Undefeated in playoff games
Luck - Not so much

Schaub has 9 4th quarter comebacks in his 6 years in Houston. Luck had 4 during his rookie year in Indy.

Schaub has 9 4th quarter comebacks in his 6 years in Houston. Luck had 4 during his rookie year in Indy.

I can think of a few the defense let slip away .... not that it really matters.

I'd like to upgrade the position , just dont see any viable way to do so in the near future.

I ask the question because in the day and age of cap space, you only have so much to build a roster.

You can play like schizz for a year or two by cutting a bunch of high price guys to roll over some cap space, but then you still have to put the money back to buy enough talent overall to go for the big prize.

The Broncoas had it all.
Like I said, they finally benefited from the Cutler's trade that gave them additional high picks; ie. they've been able to play with lower paid young talents now (but in the future, by their next contract, they will have problems.)

They should be able to manage that; however, it will get really dicey from there on out.

Having the cap space for the short term is one thing; how to handle the long term is another thing.

And then, there's risk.

That was the overarching reason why, back in camp, I finally settled in on the position that even IF we wanted Manning, he wanted us, etc....it was a risky move.

Doesn't mean Schaub should be "the guy" by default, but it does mean that Peyton Manning is, for the moment, a better choice and the Broncos did right. However, that little issue of "for the moment" is what counts most. What happens when other players' contracts come due? What if Peyton gets massively drilled into the turf and he's carted off the field? How much longer will his body hold up?

The thing that stings is that we played against the guy for almost 9 years...never really got to the guy except that one game at Reliant. Now he's free to go to any team, and he stays in the AFC and is right up there in Colorado , the BRONCOS of all teams. Ugh.

The Broncoas had it all.

And then, there's risk.

And to add to the "risk" column, noone really knew how he was going to come back.

Don't you mean that Kubiak would have loved to have had the chance to be coached by Manning?

Tony Dungy said Manning would be bad in coaching. Just an FYI. Wasn't a comment on his football smarts but said his personality wasn't suitable - would drive both himself and the players insane. Said one of the big challenges of coaching Manning is trying to keep him reined in.

Back