I might have talked myself into Maurkice Pouncey.

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by kiwitexansfan, Apr 5, 2010.

1. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

The closer the draft gets, the more I see my view on where we should be using our 1st rounder shift.

I initially was thinking DL, just because I am a big Defense first guy and there is better positional value on the line than in the secondary.

Then I went through my CJ Spiller phase, because big plays change games.... and if he were to fall to 20, I would still probably jump on him, but that looks unlikely to come to pass.

Then I started to get sucked into Earl Thomas, Kyle Wilson and even Taylor Mays. Obviously we should draft in the secondary because that is where we are the worst.

Then I did these mock drafts and saw the depth on the DL and the secondary and thought we could get some decent help there later in the draft.

Then I read all the debates about 1st round RBs and good running games, and slatonisabeast's post about the run game protecting Schaub when I realised this.....

A good run game does help our passing game, a good run game helps protect Schaub, but a good OL does both of these, as well as giving us the good run game to start with.

So that has brought me to the guy who I think (for the next half hour at least) is the best use of our 1st rounder, the best interior lineman in the draft Maurkice Pouncey, C, Florida.

The following is brought to you by my favourite draft site, Mocking the Draft

6'4 1/8, 304 pounds | Center | Florida

Awareness/Reaction: Even though Florida ran a true spread offense, Pouncey showed he can block on power and finesse plays. He's a very experienced player who started since his true freshman year at Florida. Doesn't get thrown off by defensive line shifts or when linebackers show inside pressure pre-snap. Made all the calls for the Florida offensive line.

Balance: Maintain an excellent base against defensive linemen who are equal to or less powerful than him. Doesn't let linemen get under his pads often. However, stronger nose tackles have given him problems in the past.

Initial quickness: Fires off the snap incredibly quickly. Sets with ease and doesn't take false steps in his setup. Gets his hands moving immediately and doesn't give up much to linemen.

Movement/Space: Wasn't required to move around a lot in the Gators' line scheme. Based on his combination of quickness and awareness, Pouncey shouldn't have a problem in this area, though. When he's help blocking, Pouncey doesn't get in the way of a teammate, and is a great complimentary piece.

Pass Blocking: Pouncey moves really well on his feet and shows good agility in pass protection. Properly knows how to shuffle his feet to mirror defenders. Sometimes he gets out so quickly that he lunges, particularly when a defender is coming from the second level. Needs to do a better job of always extending his arms since they're shorter than desired.

Run Blocking: Shows great hand placement in run blocking. Really gets inside of opponents. Really excels with combo blocking. Can be overpowered by strong nose tackles – see the Tennessee game in 2009. Could do a better job of finishing off his blocks. Showed his worth run blocking as a guard his freshman season.

Size: Has good height and a solid build. Isn't just a big fat offensive lineman. Has a fairly athletic frame with plenty of room to grow, if needed. Arms aren't especially long, which is one of his biggest negatives.

Strength: Possesses solid strength for a center, but could get stronger. Doesn't have much of a pop in run blocking and won't knock many defenders around.

Technique: Pouncey's hand use is outstanding. He uses his hands to maintain position and anchor. Sometimes he gets too high in his stance and strong defensive linemen can push him around. Has a slight tendency to lunge block at moving defenders. Snapped out of the shotgun a majority of the time and may need to develop more on his snap technique.

Final word: Pouncey is far and away the best center prospect in this year's draft. He started 39 games in three seasons for Florida, playing in 41 total. For his efforts, he was named an All-American and the winner of the Rimington Award in 2009. Pouncey's best asset is his quickness and athleticism. He gets out of his stance smoothly and sets up nicely. A few tweaks here or there and Pouncey should be solid 10-year starter in the NFL.

[​IMG]

2. painekiller

painekiller Hall of Fame

Here is another view of Pouncey, not saying this is the correct view just another voice to add to your research.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  3. kiwitexansfan

I've been looking around for any other dissenting views on Pouncey and he seems to be the only one.

I guess sometimes people just like to write contrary view points to drum up interest or something....

Pouncey isn't perfect, but he fits our needs, our system and is widely lauded as the best centre in the draft (if not the last several drafts.)

4. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

At 20? I don't know. I think I'd rather get Iupati at 20.

However, if we do trade back with say, San Diego at 25. I can totally get on board with solidifying the interior of our OL for a long time.

5. kiwitexansfan

I'm not really feeling the Iupati love. I think he is more of a project player than an immediate impact player.

I also rate Centre pretty highly in regards to positional value, guards not so much. That is why Pouncey is higher for me than Iupati.

6. painekiller

painekiller Hall of Fame

When I watched the 1st quarter of the senior bowl, I agreed with you on Iupati, but watch the other 3 quarters when they put him back at LG, his natural position and he was a stud.

Go ask Carlos Lee to hit left handed and see how bad he looks. It can be the same for a football player. 3 days of practice is not enough time for many guys to get comfortable with the mirror image moves.

Iupati is a solid mid 1st round guy, and Pouncey is more a 2nd rounder maybe late 1st round player, IMO.

7. LikeMike

LikeMike Hall of Fame

I like Pouncey, but he would be a bit of a reach at 20... if we can trade back I could see us going with him, but if we stay at 20 I think there are other guys with a higher value.

8. kiwitexansfan

I didn't see the Senior Bowl, from reports I heard of Iupati's play, he struggled in pass protection and looked powerful but raw.

I don't really like raw and potential to be words used around first rounders.

Push come to shove, he's a guard, and guards shouldn't go in the first round.

9. Texan4Ever

Texan4Ever Hall of Fame

Maurkice Pouncey would be a good selection, but not at #20. If we trade down a few picks and then take him then I would be okay with it because he is an immediate upgrade to what we have.

I doubt he falls to us but Trent Williams would be a nice pickup. He can play almost anywhere on the offensive line and even played a bit of guard and center. He is aggressive and has a powerful punch and uses his hands better then anyone.

10. Goldensilence

I'd put him at likely at LG. Move Caldwell back to Center where he was an All-American for Alabama and move Smith to RG....I would be willing to bet we'd get push up the middle for sure.

IMO either way I'd love to take Iupati or Pouncey in the first. I think whomever we take in the second or third as a RB would benefit from those guys being able to open holes and Schaub could actually step up into a pocket in the passing game.

Far as rating guards....just look what adding Hutchinson at guard did for the Vikes running game and how it destroyed Seattle's.

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I dont see Pouncy as a reach at 20 especially considering that he could go to at least two teams picking in front of the Texans - San Fran and Pittsburgh. Those same two teams are looking at Iupati. Its possible that bith could be gone when the Texans pick.

Just look what taking a top flight center in round 1 did for the Jets with Nick Mangold.

12. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

I agree with PK.
    This is what I saw in the Senior Bowl and a couple of other games where Iupati played LG.

Pouncey lost a few too many one-on-one battles against various DTs that I've seen to be considered an elite C to be drafted in the first.
    A 2nd round grade is more appropriate, IMO.

In the SEC, I was more impressed with a Jr, William Vlachos.
    He played better than Caldwell in his Sr. year.
    Vlachos small stature may pull him down comes next draft.
    If that's the case, he should be a great value on the second day of the draft.

He lost a few one-on-one battles as well, but fewer than I've seen Pouncey.
    On the second level, you should see what he did to Brandon Spikes.
    (Too bad, he's out of spring football due to foot surgery.)
    I will be checking him out next year, along with Barrett jones, the Tides' emerging Fr. RG.

13. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

If Thomas and Wilson are gone then I'd take him. I'd prefer Pouncey after a trade down, for better value, but I'd have no problem taking him at #20. Pouncey would anchor our O-line for the next 10-15 yrs. In the 1st round you look for players that are a sure thing with immediate impact ability and will contribute for years to come and Pouncey fits all of these traits.

14. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Sorry, but I don't see that!

I've seen Smith lose 14 individual matchups at G in one game (and I am being generous in my counting.)

15. Goldensilence

You might not see it, but I doubt they would've signed Smith to the deal they did to have him play backup. Unless you think this is another Jordan Black signing.

I also don't see how much hard it would be to supplant Studdard or White aside from Kubiak wanting them on the roster.

I think it'd have to be someone clearly better in Kubiak's mind as well to knock Myers from starting center.

16. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

I could see Pouncey playing LG for a year and learning the blocking schemes beside Myers and then taking over from him the following year. I also can't help but think that Myers has blackmail photos of Kubiak, why else would he be starting.

17. kiwitexansfan

Caldwell and Pouncey on the line = a lot of smarts and versatility.

18. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

I'd rather have Asamoah in the second.

19. Blake

Blake MMQB

Pass. I would love the guy in the 2nd, but we need our best shot at an impact player at either CB, FS, or RB.

20. justmy2cents

justmy2cents Rookie