I have the answer......

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by prostock101, Jan 8, 2007.

1. prostock101

prostock101 Mr. Big

This team needs to do now what they should have done 5 years ago and it all starts in the trenches. Forget worrying about QB's and RB's. I would not be unhappy if the Texans used every draft pick and FA pickup on the OL and DL. Fix those two areas and everybody behind them gets a lot better. We've got plenty of servicable RB's, Sage could run the offense, we're good at TE, and the DB's will improve with a better DL. Maybe add a stud at LB and we're good to go.

.......and I am a genuis.:tease:

TexanFanInCC likes this.
  2. Sportsfan

Sportsfan All Pro

I've said this a few times on here, TOTALLY agree.

3. Blake

Blake MMQB

Sounds good. Joe Thomas or Alan Branch.

4. TexanFanInCC

TexanFanInCC Hall of Fame

i actually agree with that as well. winning in the trenches = winning on the scoreboard. we need to add a DT that can bust apart a play at the snap and can diverse some attention away from mario williams, who would definitely be a benefactor of a great DT lined next to him.

5. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

I'm no expert on college players but every radio show football draft guru I've heard this year said the OL guys eligible for draft this year are sub-par except for the guy from Wisconsin and he's expected to go in the top 2 or 3.

Don't know about FA OL guys.

6. kenneth24

kenneth24 Veteran

I don't think an offensive skill position should be our first pick in the draft. I would rather pick up as close to a stud as possible at OLine or anywhere on the Defense.

7. prostock101

prostock101 Mr. Big

PS - And find a punter. Field position is everything and Stanley didn't do us any favors last year. Another thing that would really help is for Mathis to work on his receiving skills in the offseason. Having him as a 3rd receiver that could really stretch the field would be great.

8. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Maybe take Russell from LSU(IF available) and if he bombs at QB, he'd make a monster DE.:tease:
    I really like the ideas posted on the draft.I would rather see more done on D because we seem to be closer to being at least average there and this seems to be a fairly weak draft for OL.

9. prostock101

prostock101 Mr. Big

I realize everyone's on the Russell bandwagon after the bowl game but I wouldn't take him. I just don't think he's mobile enough for the speed of the NFL. He may get out of the way of college lineman but he'd be a 260lb sitting duck for Freeny or Jason Taylor.

10. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I agree 100%. Draft 'ugly' until we get it right. We can be a winning team if we can win the battle of the trenches on both sides of the ball, simply because of how control of the line makes everyone else better as a result.

Special teams often get overlooked, but a good unit that can consistestly down a punt inside the 20, make 40 yard FGs, and get good field position on returns can make even mediocre teams have winning records.

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem if they used all their draft picks and FA money to take care of the trenches and special teams. It's not glamorous, but it's just fundamental football basics that goes a long way towards being successful.

11. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

Peyton Manning and Tom Brady don't seem to have much of a problem.

12. DoCRoN

DoCRoN Veteran

I couldn't agree more. Stanley's hang time and placement are great if we're punting from the 50 yard line. But kicking it 35 yards when you're backed up at your own 20 doesn't do much for your field position battle.

Its good to see we've already brought someone in to try out at punter...

13. hollywood_texan

hollywood_texan Hall of Fame

How about this, the offense starts scoring some serious points, which could mask a weak secondary because the defense can play a different game with a lead.

14. imatexan

imatexan Hall of Fame

I dont want to watch a bunch of O-line people...I want play makers that will win!

15. prostock101

prostock101 Mr. Big

Do they weigh in at 260+????? I could be wrong about Russell but when I was watching the game he just didn't seem very quick on his feet...Culpepper is big like he is and, before his knee exploded, was a lot quicker.

16. tulexan

tulexan Hall of Fame

Speed is speed. Russell may not be Michael Vick or Vince Young, but for his size he is elusive and hard to take down. He will not have a problem avoiding the pass rush in the NFL. If anything, defenders will have a hard time taking him down when trying to sack him.

17. prostock101

prostock101 Mr. Big

We'll see I suppose. Raiders have first pick and will probably take him.....Anyway, this thread was about the Texan OL and DL which should take priority over anything else this offseason. If Russell can block or rush a passer than we should take a look at him.

18. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

My preference is Jamaal Anderson DE, Arkansas #1 and Ryan Harris LT, Notre Dame #2. History shows the Broncos did not take a RB #1 during Kubiak's tenure with Denver.

19. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

But they tried to last year so thats a moot point. Denver didn't have to take a RB high because they hit on gems in later rounds, its the exception not their rule.

20. Pantherstang84

Pantherstang84 @rolisrgti06

Uhhh. Playmakers can't make plays until the guys in the trenches make the blocks.:dangit: