I had to laugh at this

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Marcus, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

The Ranch

Interesting comment regarding Tony Romo's performance against the Eagles last night. Given the famous bone that we like to pick in regards to David Carr . . . .
    . . . lol: . . ahhhhhh, the irony!

2. kenneth24

kenneth24 Veteran

grass is always greener on the other side! :dance3:

3. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Wow, great find, Marcus. Interesting to see the same argument from a different perspective. :hmmm:

4. dtran04

dtran04 Hall of Fame

Kinda funny how a QB isn't so great anymore when he gets bad protection....

5. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Nice find... I don't think 'irony' accurately or completely describes how I felt after reading that...

6. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Cowboy fans can at least be thankful that they have seen a Pro Bowl QB at times on their roster and with a minimal cap impact. Moreover, they may have seen the best of Romo rather than speaking only to his potential.

They are in a much better place than us at the QB position in the short and long term in my opinion.

7. Double Barrel

Then why turn on him with one bad game? Even the great QBs have bad games. It's interesting to see the same arguments being made for a QB that has clearly 'got it'. You'd think they'd give him a break for a bad game.

The question is how good would Romo be on the Texans teams of the past five seasons....better than Carr? Perhaps. idonno:

But Romo would still have a tough time without a consistent running game, lack of protection, and a defense that rarely protects a lead. In a team sport, it often takes a team to win.

Sack Romo 70+ times his first season (and 250 times in five seasons) and I'd bet that he'd develop some detrimental reactions, as well. I'm not comparing Carr to Romo (that would be insane, right?), but I'm just sayin'.

8. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Cowboy's nation is a crazy mixed up place. I left that state of mind years ago and the thoughts that are formulating about Romo from the base are a constant reminder of how ridiculous Jones' Cowboys are.

I am not sure if the intent of the member is to compare Carr and Romo, but perhaps to compare crazy, impatient Dallas fans comments to realisitic and patient Texans' fans comments on their respective QB's.

9. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

The latter. But ain't it interesting that if it's your team, you're being realistic and patient, but any other team, they are being "impatient"?

Maybe "irony" is not the word I should have chosen.:hides:

10. Double Barrel

heh heh, even Confucius would have had his mighty patience tested with the Texans.

I'm afraid that we'll be reading this same stuff a year from now, though. I am fully preparing my mental being with the idea that Carr will return, and I will maintain that readiness until Kubiak tells us otherwise.

With that being said, does this scenario give you a little hope that Carr can be rehabbed into a decent (consistent) QB? Or does it make you think less of Kubiak's judgement?

I have no idea about the intention of the member...but it is quite typical to see their star QB being attacked from within. As a lifetime outsider-looking-in at Cowboys Nation, this has always been the case. I remember friends/family who were Cowboys fans as a kid talking trash about Roger Staubach. I thought how strange it was if Oiler fans were to do the same with Earl. Unheard of in my house.

11. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

5 years versus 9 starts. It's pretty cut and dry which is always a ripe time to explore the opportunity to cut and run.

12. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

great post and find. my problem with the '3 yard and a cloud of dust' passing game is that Carr throws too many 3 yard passes when its 3rd and 7 or longer. But still, its funny how winning changes the perception of many things.

13. RTP2110

RTP2110 Thank You Andre

Thats exactly it. Winning or losing changes the entire perspective of the performance.

14. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

had T.O., or Terry Glenn caught a few of those passes(imagine that, All-Pro....... no, Elite recievers dropping Balls.... while you're at it, take a look at what OchoCinco did this past weekend).... no one would be talking about those INTs.... the momentum would have swung(is that a word??) so far in the Cowboys favor(at home) it just wouldn't have mattered. Romo made the throws to erase those INTs.... he just didn't get any help that day.

And we've only not been able to run the ball against Miami, Dallas, & the NYJ.... other than that, our running game was doing what it was supposed to do.

And defense?? Not protecting the lead??

what are you talking about?? Buffalo?? Tennessee(in OT)?? Our defense has given David the ball plenty of times over the season with a lead.... and our offense couldn't extend the lead by more than 3 points at a time.

Against Washington..... Against Indy..... we forced three and outs down by 10, down by 14..... and our offense couldn't cut the lead.

regardless what it looked like, our offense has been our biggest problem all year. Giving up 400 yards to the opposing team wouldn't have happened if we could stay on the field. Not to mention in those games, our offense turned the ball over on avg 2 times a game. You could set you clock on it.

Until recently, if David got sacked.... that drive was over. If we threw an incomplete pass on first down..... forget about running the ball.

15. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

i thought romo looked pretty good against philly, to be honest.

16. WWJD

WWJD Hall of Fame

He didn't look THAT bad.

Hey THIS Cowboy fan is very happy that Tony is now the QB; at least with him we have a shot at winning. With Drew it had become apparent his time had come and gone.

The Cowboys problem on Sunday was both their lines were dominated which has been a long time problem with them vs the Eagles. They had no running game. I think Romo was the leading rusher. They had 3 shots on the 1 yard line to score and didn't. That's hardly Tony's fault.

He has been the reason they are even in the playoffs this year. Until he got the job their season was done.

17. It's silly to think we would know what we had even after 3 years of personnel shuffle by the Texans. From the get go our plans to build the team did not pan out, starting with Boselli. It's year 5 and barely have anyone left on the team from the last regime and most of the players that have gone through the Texans organization are not even in football anymore. That's a weak argument to even compare the Texans to other teams since its inception. It's year 5 and we still don't have a solid defensive back corps, have no idea about our offensive line, and are still trying to figure out what direction our running game is going.