I guess Kubiak isn't happy with our WR's??

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by texanfan2002114, Aug 29, 2011.

1. texanfan2002114

texanfan2002114 Subscribed Contributor

2. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

Could make a servicable 4th WR, since nobody seems to be stepping up and taking the job during the pre-season.

3. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Is it just me, or is anyone else still trying to figure out why we re-signed Jacoby? He's about as unreliable as you can get imo. I understand there have been some tough throws his way, but the WR is a skill position. Skill positions are supposed to make plays. His tiny stone hands aren't going to cut it. I know it's difficult to find things to ***** about offensively, but it drives me nuts watching him drop ball after ball

I don't blame them for bringing players in. Imo, we need improvement from the #3-5.

4. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

Hou-Tex,

IMO, one of the most important attributes that Kubiak wants in his receivers is knowledge of the system. This offense relies heavily on reads, and it is important for the WR to see the same defense, make the correct read, and run the route that the QB expects him to run. Many, if not most routes we run have options based on reads made at the line of scrimmage. That, to me, is the number one reason that Kubiak wants continuity on offense, and also why our young receivers have a hard time getting on the field.
    Kubiak has to really trust a receivers knowledge of the system before he gets much playing time.

5. DX-TEX

DX-TEX Hall of Fame

Maybe he can get his #80 here.:kitten:

6. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

Yes, JJ's hands are a bit questionable; but there is one thing he does for this offense; he stretched the field vertically. Even if there is a chance of him dropping the pass, CBs have to stay with JJ when he goes deep opening things up for AJ, OD and Foster underneath.

Just becasue JJ is the #3 WR does not mean he is the third pass catching option. And the 4th WR is even further down the list.

7. False Start

False Start On # 69

I remember that whole thing with Jerry Rice when he went to SF. :wadepalm:

8. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Probably a sign that the UDFAs aren't impressing in practice/games like they were hoping.

9. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

Who the heck is Bryant Johnson??

10. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Bryant Johnson

11. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Hopefully they sign one of the Packers WR's when they get cut. They are very deep at WR. West and Gurley are massive upgrades over any WR on the Texans not named AJ. They are also upgrades on ST's.

Bryant Johnson stinks

12. XI CMURDER IX

XI CMURDER IX Gig 'em

He was a decent receiver in his days a San Fran and Detroit. Just needs a quarterback and maybe he can be a 4th on the depth chart. Could play outside on some downs.

13. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Ok, so what the hell happened to LeStar Jean?

14. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Or Dorian Dickerson?

15. XI CMURDER IX

XI CMURDER IX Gig 'em

Injury bug struck again. I think they are going to try to stash him on the practice squad.

16. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

I thought Dickerson had the 4th position locked down in the final 53.

17. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Good then. I have high hopes that this guy will be a starter someday, and do real well for us.

18. sandman

sandman Hall of Fame

West, as in the WR from Fresno State that has never caught a single pass in a real NFL game?

From NFL.com:

Pick Analysis: West is a good-sized receiver with very average speed who knows how to run routes and set up defenders. He does a good job of gaining a step of separation at this level with his crisp routes and little head-and-shoulder fakes, but he will struggle at the next level. He builds to speed and does not show a big burst coming out of his break and won't be much of a threat down the seam in the NFL. He does a good job of reading coverages and finding the soft spots in zones and is a natural receiver. He can adjust to slightly off-target throws and has a wide receiving radius.

And Gurley? A rookie from South Carolina?

Pick Analysis: Gurley is a wide receiver in a tight end's body that could develop into a quality reserve at the next level. He is not exactly fast, but he is a long strider that can stretch the field down the seam. He uses his great length to make catches even when he is covered, but he does not have reliable hands. He also is a bit stiff in the hips and lacks the fluidity to get open in man coverage. Gurley is tough kid that seeks out contact as a blocker and works the middle of the field which makes him an attractive later round prospect.

Seriously, these guys would be equivalent to Dickerson and Jean on the Texans, but you presume that they would be a "massive" upgrade over Walter, who has averaged 60 catches and 750 yards over the last four seasons??

b0ng likes this.
  19. Wolf6151

Wolf6151 Hall of Fame

I think it's very difficult for any of the WR's (Jean, Tolliver, Dickerson, Maehl, etc...) to distinguish themselves when they play with the #2 or #3 QB's who don't seem to throw the ball down the field. Leinart seems to be checking down to the RB quickly, this may also be the fault of the backup O-line not giving good protection.

20. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

West didn't look slow returning a kickoff for a touchdown. Or catching a 95 yd TD. Gurley is a really good gunner on ST's.

They upgrade ST's and have shown more potential at WR than Dickerson, Maehl etc....

Do you just read scouting reports and not watch games? And no I'm not a Walter fan. He's just a bigger DA. IMHO You cant win big with KW as your @ 2 WR.