I Don't Like The Way Arian Carries The Ball

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexansFanatic, Dec 18, 2011.

1. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

Am I the only one?

When I watch replays of him I have two thoughts:

(1) My God, what a special back. His moves are so fluid and effortless. It's like he's gliding.

and

(2) Dude, tuck that ball up close to your body!

I think it's a small miracle he hasn't fumbled the ball a hell of a lot more.

TexanBacker93 likes this.
  2. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

From the other thread on the subject of Foster -

I quoted myself :rake:

3. NastyNate

NastyNate I go kerplunk

Tate worries me a lot more than Arian. High and tight damnit, high and tight!

4. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

5. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

yep :rake:

6. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

They both need to go watch film of Tiki Barber as he changed from a fumbling machine to a VERY reliable carrier. I was a running back (not a very good one) and I can tell you from experience that you naturally tend to swing the ball out from your body. SEEMS to help with balance and to me seemed to help with my speed (heaven knows I needed all the help there I could get), but I think it is just a matter of gaining confidence in tucking it up tight to your chest in the crook of your arm. These guys can do it. I just hope they can get it done and confidence in it quickly. Nothing will bounce you from the playoffs faster than turn overs.

7. wildroot

wildroot Veteran

I've been saying this on the other MB for awhile....Foster swings the ball away from his body way too much, just asking for the ball to be knocked out, especially from behind. The bit*h of it is, he looked like he had a good hold on the ball when it was knocked out today in the first drive.

8. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

And he's done it for years. It needs to stop.

[​IMG]

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

3 to 1 John McLame does an article on this subject in the coming week. :kitten:

10. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

Arian, you're a world-class running back. Please fix this problem.

11. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

young tiki barber lol but better lol

12. Jaysol

Jaysol 3rd String Rook

I'm not the most athletic guy, so maybe someone that is can shed some light. Don't you move faster when you allow your arms to move a bit? You don't see sprinters in the Olympics running with their arms stiff against their bodies. I bet it likely aides in balance as well.

I would imagine Foster would likely lose some of explosiveness if he was forcing himself to run in a way that was unnatural to him. A better bet would be to put an emphasis in recognizing when he can have the ball slightly out to facilitate movement, and when he needs to tuck it in tight. And work on transitioning from one to the other efficiently and quickly.

I haven't looked at his previous fumbles much, but the one against the Panthers seemed like it was just excellent defensive plays. I don't think it had anything to do with him not having a good enough grip on the ball.

13. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    I love the way Arian carries the ball.What has he had? TWO fumbles this year??

14. MadBurgerMaker

MadBurgerMaker Rookie

It's three or four. Not all that much, I guess, but it's been twice in two games now, yes? And early in the games, too, IIRC.

15. Blake

Blake MMQB

I kinda give Foster the freedom to do whatever he wants. He for the most part takes care of the ball, and does some amazing stuff with the rock in his hands. Yes he has fumbled a few times this year, but his positive plays far and away outweigh them.

16. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

I knew of another running back that would hold the ball like a loaf of bread, too. He turned out pretty good.

[​IMG]

The guy above had 17 fumbles in his first two seasons and was pretty dern good!! Arian Foster in basically two season has had 8. I'm not too worried about how he carries the ball.

Double Barrel likes this.
  17. Jaysol

Jaysol 3rd String Rook

Love it! Repped.

I'd rather he do it now, get pissed at himself for it and stop it in the future. In the press conference after the game he said he had 3 lost fumbles last year, 3 so far this year, so he believes that it's done for the year. Doesn't want to disappoint the team anymore.

18. RunTexans

RunTexans Rookie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i think he'll be ok....

19. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

The way he carries the ball is part of his fluidity. It provides a lot of production, and each fumble is the price he must pay for it.

And I doubt it can be changed. The way Foster moves is a full-body coordination, like a dancer. It he tucks in the ball, you won't see the unconscious body control and nuance that makes him so successful.

20. TexansFanatic

TexansFanatic Extremist

Well this thread certainly took an unexpected turn. I'm sort of surprised to see so many posters shrugging off poor ball carrying technique.

I certainly hope, for Arian's sake, we don't lose a playoff game because of a fumble.

And for the record, just because some of the great running backs in NFL history were prolific yard gainers, that doesn't excuse carrying the ball like a loaf of bread. Some of the great ones also had a reputation for fumbling.

Walter Payton is second on the list of running backs in NFL history for fumbles with 86.

Eric Dickerson had 78 in a shorter career.

Dickerson's Fumble Is Costly, Houston Wins
    September 05, 1988| From Times Wire Services

INDIANAPOLIS — Eric Dickerson's fumble gave the Houston Oilers another chance, and Tony Zendejas atoned for two earlier misses with a 35-yard field goal in overtime to beat the Indianapolis Colts, 17-14, Sunday.