I don't know if we've noticed yet, but...

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texan JBZ, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Texan JBZ

Texan JBZ Da Sip's Finest

The Texans have a very solid offensive attack. Our offensive attack is pretty damn potent right now. We are 5th in total offense in the entire league and 2nd in the AFC behind the Broncos (Note to all Schaub haters: He has started four of the five games for the Texans this season. Just saying.)

The thing is that our offense hasn't even reached its peak yet. Think about it: Johnson is balling, Walter is balling, Slaton is da man, Owen is producing in a major way, and even Green is running the ball effectively. What the offense missing is Jacoby Jones. That's right, JACOBY JONES! Andre Davis and David Anderson (as much as I like DA) aren't getting the job done as the 3rd WR. It's time to insert JJ back into the line-up. I don't know what the beef is between JJ and Kubes, but whatever it is they need to grill it up and chew it down. Jacoby needs to be in the rotation at the slot. Check this out: Slaton in the single back formation, OD at TE, Dre and Walt split out wide, and JJ in the slot! Rock and Roll Vandermeer style :texflag:

2. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

We still have room for improvement.

1. Cut down on turnovers
    2. Turn red zone FGs into TDs

Once we can find a way to do that we will be a true "top 5" offense.

3. Texan JBZ

Yes, we do have room for improvement. But, we are still #5 in the league in total offense despite what you feel makes a "top 5" offense. Like our record, we are what we are.

4. Texan JBZ

To add to it, the Texans offense is 2nd in the AFC in passing and receiving yards, and 8th in the league in rushing yards. Yes, the Texans need to improve their red zone efficiency but I think it is coming. I think Kyle Shanahan is doing a great job and headed for great things (like, the future HC of the Texans).

5. Norg

Norg -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

and just to think over the past for years are mind set was Defense Defense Defense thats all we been drafting and FA signing well not 100% we have been pretty balanced in terms of O/D

6. Sideline

Sideline Hall of Fame

That is the key to eternal offensive power though.

7. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Gotta agree with Nero on that one, production (yards) is a good indicator of how good an offense is, but untimately it is irrelevant if those yards do not result in points.

1: Fewer turnovers (make those yards = points)

2: Redzone effeciency (basically the same, if we work our way into the redzone, let it result in points)

8. Goldensilence

Goldensilence hipster elite

Good things to point out and I do agree about JJ but he also evidently has to show something in pratice if he wants to bust into top 3 WRs.

Got to work on red zone efficency. Can't keep settling for FGs and holding onto the ball. That'll help both sides of the ball.

9. Tejas Bruja

Tejas Bruja NFL's Gringa

And we've lost four of the five games this season with Rosenfels only starting and losing in one of those games. Just saying...:thinking:

10. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Churning out lots of yards makes us look good as far as stats go, which is all that ranking is. What we need is for them to score points along with racking up all those yards. Houston is 17th in the league in scoring points.

But, I will have to say the offense does look better than it did last year. Fix that red zone problem and beef up the defense, and we are talking play offs. That's a lot of fixin' to do, though.

11. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

Unfortunately, points win games, not yards.

12. will742

will742 Nukkkk

Being 5th in offense is a great feat, but it's nothing to brag about as long as we are still leading the league in turnover differential.

Imagine if we could cut down on the turnovers, the sky is the limit!

13. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I think the real point of drafting Defense was that Kubes figured he could build an offense without having to spend a lot of draft choices on it. So to build the D, spend the higher draft picks to bring in talented players that will make almost any scheme look good. Almost. Almost any scheme.

14. The Pencil Neck

Cold Hard Football facts takes a simpler approach: points per yard. That's their Scoreability Index. If your special teams and defense score points, then your scoreability index goes up. If you're efficient in the red zone, that also makes it go up. We're 22nd on the Scoreability Index.

15. BuffaloglennTX

BuffaloglennTX Rookie

I like what they have done as well but a reduction in turnovers and increased efficiency in the red zone is really all they need, not a substituition for Andre Davis. AD is most often the third or fourth option on passing downs (behind AJ, Walters, Owen Daniels) so to substitute for him won't make much difference since there are not that many balls thrown his way to begin with. Don't forget that AD was in the top 5 last year in yards per catch - he's a good receiver and is faster than anyone else on the team. JJ is getting better but there is a reason he is not starting in the slot just yet. He will in time.

16. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Cool, I did not know that any stats were around dealing with the 'scoreability'.
    Scoreability without special teams and defensive scores would be a fairly accurate indicator of our offenses' effeciency then, right ?

17. sakebomb

sakebomb Hall of Fame

That is what is so frustrating for me. We have the talent on offense to really do some damage, but we keep shooting ourselves in the foot with the turnovers.

We are getting there but Matt better stop throwing into double and triple coverage.............and maybe hit wide open WR's in stride.

18. Tedc

Tedc Hardheaded

I think that you guys aren't considering one thing...

We ARE 5th in total yards and we did it against 3 of the top 5 defenses...one reason we may be leading in turnovers. Let us see how we do against similar or weaker opponents.

We may have something special on offense. I think we will all be surprised by season's end.

Texan JBZ likes this.
  19. The Pencil Neck

That would be. You have to calculate it for all 32 teams to get a feel for relative efficiency.

20. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

excellent point. Davis really let us down after the sack to start the final drive for a win. jeeze, catching a 13 yard pass for a first down to get us out of a hole. what a looser. who pays these guys? fire rick smith. what a tool.