I am Starting to miss Sage already

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by fikster, Aug 22, 2009.

1. fikster

fikster All Pro

I hope Schaub stays healthy ALL year. Even though they say Orlosky has the physical tools, it's evident he needs alot of work on the mental side.

I am still giving the guy and the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt because they know talent alot more than I do. Let's go Texans. Come on Dan O, show me something.

2. jaayteetx

jaayteetx Hall of Fame

They got three qbs, maybe we could get him back? :stirpot:

3. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Dan O is going to need some time in our system it looks like...

But to be fair, Sage had two offseasons and a full season here, before he was really counted on to start games for us.

But like you said.....hopefully Schaub doesn't get hurt this year.

4. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

Right, Rosenfels never would've embarrassed himself by trying to do too much on one play.

Revolution likes this.
  5. fikster

fikster All Pro

not saying he was the greatest. i am just saying that the learning curve wouldn't have been there and we have seemingly gotten the same result so far. I want us to be the best, period.

6. V3rm0nt3r

V3rm0nt3r All Pro

yeah well they tried to get a QB that wouldn't have a learning curve didn't they? one with starting not to mention playoff experiences and unfortunately they forgot that Grossman was a first round bust with an exceptional D.

this is completely unrelated with this thread but when would anybody need to use this-> :butterfly: it popped up as one of the smiles on my original screen and i don't think i've seen a more pointless smiley

7. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I submit for your viewing pleasure the definitive Sage Rosenfels highlight reel:

LINK 1
    LINK 2
    LINK 3

8. MEGA SWATT

MEGA SWATT Hall of Fame

sorry but I'm glad Rosencopter is gone.:ant:

9. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Anthony hill doesn't look too bad. Schaub just has to stay healthy and this is a none issue.

10. MojoMan

MojoMan Hall of Fame

I think you guys have it exactly wrong.

1. It is unreasonable to expect to be able to obtain a backup QB who clearly has the skills to be a starter. If you happen to get one who meets this criteria, your team will probably not be able to hold onto him for very long. There are not anywhere close to 32 of the these guys in the league (one starter for each team), much less 64.

2. Orlovsky is a guy who is reasonably intelligent for an NFL player, and who has experience as an NFL starter. Granted, he did not lead his team to victory, but his successor, #1 overall pick Matt Stafford, is unlikely to either.

3. Orlovsky apparently has tremendous athletic abilities for a QB, and Coach Kubiak has great confidence in him and his prospects to help the team going forward.

4. It is unreasonable to expect new QB's to start right away, or to be successful stepping in and leading a bad team to success. Football is a team game, and players take a few years to develop.

5. The Texans have done a tremendous job of recruiting and signing back-up QB's since the inception of the franchise. Tony Banks generally played well in a backup roll. Rosenfels was excellent, to the point where he was seriously discussed as a potential starter for the Texans. It appears that Rosenfels would have started for the Vikings this year if Favre had not made another comeback.

6. Orlovsky is an optimal developmental prospect, and an excellent signing of a #2 QB. Who could the Texans have signed that would have been better? What better can we reasonably expect going forward? Let's try and be reasonable here.

Once again, I think we are being too harsh on Orlovsky way too soon. Let's try not to be so quick to condemn our players and to jump to a negative conclusion so rapidly. What do you say guys?

Grams, Jackie Chiles and Corrosion like this.
  11. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

well i havent watched the second half yet but i think Dan O was doing good i even said to a guy that sits next time maybe one day Dan can challenge Matty for the starting job

12. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got AJ?

I saw it last week and was surprised, a little more surprised still tonight all the negativity toward him.

To chime on Sage. Don't miss him a bit. I don't care what he does for another team I just - don't - miss him. eriadoc's links are just what I'm talking about. He was way too Oileresque for me. I've seen enough of that kind of tradition in Houston.

13. Norg

Norg Hall of Fame

DOnt worry he will be here monday how about u cheer for him then

14. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

I liked Sage, but I like Orlovsky more. I had to keep track of him last year since Calvin Johnson was one of my fantasy receivers, and he did the best job of all the Lions' three QB's. As far as back-ups go, he's good talent with a lot of upside. His interception in this game didn't bother me, and his touchdown didn't surprise me.

15. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I agree, DanO will be a fine QB learning under Kubiac and company, and he will eventually be a better backup than Sage. But he isn't there just yet.

16. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

Sage is not a Texan I do not care if he does well or does poorly. It seems some forget all the boneheaded plays he made and only remember the few good ones.

For example the game against the titans in 2007, the good sage kept us in that game and threw TDs and the bad sage kept the titans in that game by throwing Int.

With Orlovsky I see the work that needs to be done and then I see the touch he has on the ball with the TD pass.

As far as this being :butterfly: the most useless smiley, nt sure that this :wwfsmd: is not ahead of it.

17. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

It's not that apparent to me. Is Orlovsky a better athlete than Matt Schaub? Sure. But, that doesn't translate to tremendous athletic abilities. Orlovsky may have athleticism along the lines of Sage Rosenfels. Maybe even David Carr. Tremendous? I don't see it on the field.

If Gary Kubiak can coach anything (pause for dramatic effect), it's the QB position. He made Sage Rosenfels better. Hell, he made David Carr as good as he was ever going to be. I'll drink the koolaid and believe that he can get the most out of DanO. Will that be good enough? I'm not sure.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  18. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Sage is going to hand us our rear ends this Monday.

19. Specnatz

Specnatz Site Contributor

Either that or throw a bunch of ints.

20. Livid13

Livid13 Veteran

Let's just hope it NEVER comes down to Grossman !