Hutchinson most likely a Viking

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Grid, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

2. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

A contract like this for a guard seems a bit nutty to me.

3. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

the crux of the matter is that he only gets that money if he ISNT the highest paid lineman on the team.

The thing is.. the Seahawks just signed whats-his-name to a contract just slightly larger than that one... so if they match the offer, they have to pay him the 49 million.. while if he goes to the Vikings, he will be the highest paid lineman and they wont have to pay the 49 million.

There is alot more to it than that and im sure a cap guru here can point out the flaws in my summary :)..but that is basicly what the deal is.

4. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

I understand what you're saying, I'm just thinking that could backfire on the Vikings. Does it mean they will not be able to pay a LT, RT, RG, or RT, more than this guy for 7 seasons or just the 1st season of the contract?

5. Dunta_23

Dunta_23 All Pro

I read today that Walter Jones restructured his contract so it is worth less than Hutchinsons, therefor the money doesnt have to be guarenteed...

Seahawks | Jones reworks contract
    Mon, 20 Mar 2006 11:51:41 -0800

Mike Sando, of the Tacoma News Tribune, reports Seattle Seahawks OLT Walter Jones has reworked his contract with the team so his average per year drops below the $7 million average OLG Steve Hutchinson's offer sheet with the Minnesota Vikings averages. It is believed Jones added another year to his contract with a base salary of $1 million. The extra year will void in the end, but it drops his yearly contract average. The team converted his 2006 roster bonus of $2 million into a signing bonus.

6. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Now that is some clever management right there. I hope our front office would be that creative.

First lets work on getting tow players worth doing that with.

7. F-minus67

F-minus67 Hall of Fame

does anyone know when the time for Hutchinson to decide is?

8. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Hutchinson doesn't get to decide, the Seahawks do.

9. cap1

cap1 All Pro

Hutchinson's a Viking

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2377300

The Seahawks decided Monday not to match the seven-year, $49 million offer sheet on Steve Hutchinson, allowing the All-Pro guard to go to the Minnesota Vikings.

10. Blake

Blake MMQB

HE IS A GUARD!!!!!!!!!

Give me a break here. Seattle is better off just drafting a guard in the 2nd. I cant believe Minn is paying that much for Hutch. If I was a Vikings fan, I would be a little upset with my new headcoach.

11. PokerStar

PokerStar Veteran

Why they just got the best G in the game, plus Hutchinson can play RT if you want him to. He played it in Seattle before moving to G. The guy can play and is really solid. Is it smart to pay that much for a G hell no, but when you are trying to form a new identity and become a power, plus you are a small market team like minnesota it is time to make sure you get a good return on your investment. All these moves have Minnesota looking like a contender. Wait they lost an All-Pro QB well in a few years they will look more like a contender.

12. Blake

Blake MMQB

Who says he is the best guard in the game? That is just your opinion. What about Kendall Simmons, Will Shields, Alan Faneca, Joe Andruzzi?

And alot of guards can play RT. Its not a rare thing. Hell, even Weigert can play RT.

I just dont feel that you can tie up that much cap with a guard. LT, yes. QB, yes. CB, yes. But a guard?

I guess we will just have to wait and see if the move paid off.

13. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Somebody said elsewhere in this thread that he can play tackle. Well then he better play tackle for this kind of money, because as this poster says, "he is
    a guard !!".

14. F-minus67

F-minus67 Hall of Fame

The Vikings also signned FB Tony Richardson from the Chiefs.