Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

HPF:unofficial salary cap 2006 and 2007

lots of dead money in 2006 and 2007 (thanks CC)

Coleman, Marcus
$2,533,134

Walker, Gary

$1,833,333
Wade, Todd
$1,666,667
Smith, Robaire
$1,391,667
Cowart, Sam
$750,000
Deloach, Jerry
$562,000
Banks, Tony
$400,000
Norris, Moran
$400,000
Morency, Vernand
$378,000
Hollings, Tony
$233,250
Ioane, Junior
$200,000
Washington, Todd
$167,667
Est. sum of all players with less than $100,000
$889,400

Walker, Gary
$5,499,999
Wade, Todd
$5,000,000
Smith, Robaire
$4,175,000

Ive heard that the salary cap is supposed to jump up a good amount next year.

Im glad we started cutting some expensive fat from the roster this offseason... at about the same time that those cap hits clear, we will be in a position where we need to re-sign some of our most talented draftees.. and now we will be in a position to offer them the kind of money they deserve, and to keep them here despite the lousy 4-5 years we have had.

Well if this past offseason was any indication.. Kubiak and co. are 10x the talent scouts that our past regime was. I mean.. we brought in some major talent last offseason with Moulds and Weaver ..

Id really like to see us get another quality CB as well.. and ive been thinking lately that it would be interesting to draft a CB, and put Dunta Robinson at FS. Now, I dunno if that would be a tremendous waste of talent.. but Robinson is a great cover corner, with superb tackling skills.. and that has FS written all over it.

So according to the original post will we even be able to afford a top free agent next season like A.Samuel or N.Clements. We really need an expierenced #1 CB.

After seeing Nate Clements play this past game, i would be VERY happy to see him here. Im not sure but im thinking iv heard he has had some issues with a bad attitude but that could be due mainly to his situation in buffalo. Who knows, maybe he liked what he saw of our team, and how we were in the drivers seat for most of the game. i bet we would be willing to throw a good bit of money at him and it seems like players feel like Houston is a good place to play. We also have Moulds here (an ex teammate) to maybe drop a few word in his ear.

AJ is the cap expert on this board... maybe he will chime in.

I do know that the cap jumps up to about $109 million next year from $104 this year. With cuts and dead money being paid out I believe that we'll have about $20 million to play with. More than enough to land some top notch free agents.

on another thread started about Steve McKinney not starting. (and with that said, would he get the boot)

he is 1.5 million (if I read that right) on the 2007 cap..

I thought it was more.

After seeing Nate Clements play this past game, i would be VERY happy to see him here. Im not sure but im thinking iv heard he has had some issues with a bad attitude but that could be due mainly to his situation in buffalo. Who knows, maybe he liked what he saw of our team, and how we were in the drivers seat for most of the game. i bet we would be willing to throw a good bit of money at him and it seems like players feel like Houston is a good place to play. We also have Moulds here (an ex teammate) to maybe drop a few word in his ear.

When were we "in the driver's seat for most of the game" against Buffalo? We were losing most of the game and then were only up from mid 3rd quarter until we blew the game in the end.

There's a ton of other teams that are also interested in a top FA CB, and the majority of them have at least had some measure of success in their team's history. If I were a FA and was being courted by so many teams, why would I pick Houston versus a team that's demonstrated an ability to win? I wouldn't. Face it, we will have to overpay for talent due to the fact that our team is never competitive and will likely be shunned by the top FA's in the league because of our many failures as a team. It's not like you can just offer guys contracts and they'll accept. You'll generally have to compete against other NFL teams and give them a reason to sign with you. The past couple of years we've used the "we're young and getting better" excuse, but that's played out now for this franchise. Results are what brings good players in, and we sure as hell haven't had those.

true. I am hoping for atleast one big FA signing and after 2007 season another..14 mill of dead money comes off and then maybe we will be in business

however I am not sure what happens with DD's contract if he can't play again.
(club have insurance against that?)

I have no doubts in Kubiaks ability to evaluate talent. I think if we have another off season half as good as this one we will be in a great position to have a winning record next season.

#1)What I'm wondering is if someone knows about how much cap room we will have to work with next season.
#2)Will it be enough to sign a top free agent at CB and or OL?

I see these as the positions we need to solidify with expierience + talent via free agency.

My current "back of the envelope" guess regarding our cap space room is that we should definately be able to pin our ears back and get at least one high priced FA next year (i.e. Samuel, Briggs, Turner etc...) and with some moves, perhaps two of them.

I am not as worried about Texan viability in the free agent market due to our win/loss record as some are. IMO, Kubes is a draw, McNair is a draw, our facilities and city are as well...so on balance, I think we will do just fine.

Ive heard that the salary cap is supposed to jump up a good amount next year.

Im glad we started cutting some expensive fat from the roster this offseason... at about the same time that those cap hits clear, we will be in a position where we need to re-sign some of our most talented draftees.. and now we will be in a position to offer them the kind of money they deserve, and to keep them here despite the lousy 4-5 years we have had.

quoted for truth.

Not that I think Casserly is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but he brought in this year Mario Williams (the hard pick - he's looking much better than Reggie Bush), Demeco Ryans (possible DROY), Owen Daniels, and two linemen, all (except Spencer) who have seen significant playing time this year. It was a great draft.

Back