HPF:sizing up what Carr could be worth in a trade.

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wolf, Mar 14, 2007.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/draft/

2. Nighthawk

Nighthawk All Pro

An interesting read, especially if you want to see the world through rose-colored glasses. Carr is routinely overvalued, while others are routinely undervalued. Much is made of Carr's "upside" which, if I be plainspoken, seems like a figment of the writer's imagination, or, viewed another way, wishful thinking.

People looking at Carr now are going to see a shell-shocked QB (and I do not mean just the sacks, which take a toll, but also the fall from the "grace" of #1 overall pick, which has got to be a huge psychological toll) on whom they're taking a big chance. I will be stunned if anyone offers better than a mid-fourth rounder, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were a conditional 4th (with move up to a mid-third based on whatever goals to be reached).

I think this must be the sticking point and explains why Carr is still with us.

The interesting question is which side is going to bend first. I have a feeling it's not going to be the Texans, possibly to their detriment.

3. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

That is an optimistic assessment, IMO. What's worth noting it is not Carr himself that, in my view, would be the "sticking point" in a trade. Rather it's Carr's contract.

Put his contract size up against Harrington's or Ramsey's, and the comparisons go out the window.

I'll be flat out shocked if he's traded . . . for anything.

4. TwinSisters

TwinSisters Hall of Fame

I agree.

Missing contract/cap room of the respective teams and players nullifies the significance of the article.

5. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

His salary is definitly one thing that teams won't like.

But the whole comparison w/ ramsey and harrington is a delicate situation. The situation changes from year to year. If the lions got a 5th for harrington that year...the next maybe they could have gotten a 4th ...or even a 6th. It just depends on 'supply and demand'...something tampa bay has taken into their own hands w/ plummer/garcia...lol

next year a team may be more desperate and give us a 2nd for carr. on the flip side..there could be a lot more 'better' qb's available and offer a 6th..

6. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Without even reading all of the article or other posts on here this tood out to me immediately:Without question, the Texans have made a significant investment in David Carr. They used the first overall pick in the 2002 draft on him, signed him to a significant contract, made him the sole focus of their quarterback development efforts, I think being the sole focus of quarterback development efforts is the kindest thing to possibly be said for what DC has gone through here. I'm not a str8 up DC hater like a few on here. I feel he's been done wrong since day1(except monetarily)and been set up for failure from the 1st snap. The Texans "quarterback development" program should be reviewed under the Geneva Convention or something. Whatever happens, I hope he has a great rest of his career....as long as it's with us or someone outside our division(I KNOW I'm getting hate mail for that one!!!!):victory:

7. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Me, too.

And based on that assumption, I am fully prepared to see Carr in TC. If he gets the starting job, I'll root for him like I would any Texan player on gameday. It's all about wins, and nothing else matters from a fan's pov.

8. CVTexan

CVTexan Rookie

AMEN!!

9. srstex

srstex Veteran

Value is very relitive, and hind sight is 20/20. Last year for instance the Dolphins offered Culpepper a contract and not Breese, that played out well didn't it. Oakland cut Collins and picked up Aaron Brooks, another stroke of genius, The Bears started and stayed with Rex Grossman, well no decision that gets you to the SB is a bad one so let's move on. Eli-bad to worse, Rivers rookie starter to star, Pennington completeed the year, that's a big one. So look at what the players are getting this year. NFL QB's are always hot comodities, and Carr is worth what the maket will bear, and if it is not enough, keep him let him compete for the job.

Yes I know my spellings s&^%s,

10. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

http://boards.giants.com/forums/9/280955/ShowThread.aspx

"he needs more time"
    "he needs a new HC"
    "he needs better talent around him"
    "Eli would be a star on a different team"
    "he needs a dome"
    "the coaching staff is asking too much of eli"

you will hear all of these and many more i am afraid.

This might not go here ... I thought it was funny.

11. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Smith and Kubiak know what they can get. I think it is pretty obvious that Denver wanted a 4th for Plummer and we wouldn't give it up for him. They want to keep picks or wait until we have more. My thoughts are Carr will be traded at draft time. In fact it leads me to believe that we may trade down and still be able to get a guy like Nelson at safety and pick up picks. I also think at that point we would be able to get a 4th for carr and then we will see what happens wioth TB and Plummer. Do I think this is a perfect scenario?No. But it makes sense to me. I think Plummer wants to work with Kubes and the feeling is mutual. I think Kubes assessment, the team bickering, etc has led to the point where Carr will not be here. Before anyone jumps me, it is my opinion on the setup and the trade scenarios, nto rumors I have heard. Just feelings. As I've said 100 times lately, I don't think keeping Dave is a practical thing for the team right now.

12. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

holy crap...what about a Carr/Eli type trade? I'd jump on that so fast.

13. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Giants fans share the same sentiments.

14. freedoggy77

freedoggy77 Veteran

Eli wouldn't have a job if his last name wasn't Manning. Trading them would be useless as they are both 1st Pick Busts.

15. Arky

Arky Veteran

Does this sound familiar or what?

:)

16. 2BCF

2BCF Hall of Fame

I think if there's no draft day trade, the Texans will cut him.
    Then I expect him to retire, Carr thinks he's starter material and quite honestly he never was or will be. So instead of being a backup QB somewhere, he'll retire and go count all his money.
    good riddance.

17. BSofA04

BSofA04 Hall of Fame

Manning vs. Manning in the AFC South? Sweeeet. :spot:

18. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Only if we can have Peyton :)

19. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Just to be clear, I'm on the "Carr needs to go" bandwagon, but some of you "Eli is a bust" characters need to get back on the "quarterback can't do it all" bandwagon.

Carr has made some you jaded. Or maybe, it's the QB from Tennessee that did it.

20. TwinSisters

TwinSisters Hall of Fame

Tennessee from and there, plus Jacksonville.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9673871

3 Mannings
    1 Garrard
    1 Young

and prior to this it was Manning and McNair