HPF:Paradigm Shift

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wolf, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/draft/

2. bigTEXan8

bigTEXan8 All Pro

If anyone can answer this, I would be much oblidged:

Could the Texans' trade any one of the vets (Walker, Smith, or Payne) and not take a salary cap hit. I'm afraid I don't know the ins and outs of the whole salary issue.

3. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

I don't think so, Walker and Smith are signed through 2009 and Payne through 2008. If we traded them in the last year of their contract, there would be no cap hit. I am not 100% sure, but it all has to do with how their contract is arranged as far as base salary/bonus goes. I am sure one of the gurus on here could explain it better.

4. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Well, take them in and out....no excuses for getting tired in the 4th quarter. Less time on the field, more maximum effort and no running game wearing them down. So, it's not a total lost cause.

5. travfrancis

travfrancis Veteran

why not play gary walker at LE? i think he played there in jacksonville, and its not like we have anyone better to play at end.

Babin/Peek - Johnson - Smith - Walker

6. Fiddy

Fiddy Hall of Fame

DE's in a 4-3 arent 300 pounds...

7. Almost Anybody

Almost Anybody Rookie

Be careful what you wish for.

If you want them to go to a 4-3, and from what I hear, that's what's going to happen, then brace yourselves. No way, no how, are they going to keep 4 high dollar defensive tackles, all weighing over 300 pounds. Casserly has said it himself on the radio on more than one occasion. "If we go to a 4-3, we will have a surplus of defensive tackles".

Wanna take a guess on what the word "surplus" means to capologist Charley?

You have have Walker, Payne, Johnson, and Smith. Which two will be the next Sharper and Glenn?

:stirpot: :goodbad:

8. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

My money is that both Payne and Smith will be cut loose. They spent all this effort getting the right players for the 3-4 . . . but like Casserly said . . . you can't have 4 highly paid DTs if your going to a 4-3.

I just get this feeling a baby is being thrown out with the bathwater?:shrug:

9. whiskeyrbl

whiskeyrbl Guest

I agree Payne would be one cut,because of injuries.But i believe Walker would be the other due to his age and seeming to get knicked up in every game last year.Smith is still relatively young and TJ is just getting started.

10. bigTEXan8

bigTEXan8 All Pro

I still think that Walker is going to go before Payne and Smith. JM:twocents:

11. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

I agree it should be Payne and Walker, but I think it's going to be the two that will have the least effect on the cap. But no matter which ones he chooses, the cap hit will be huge.

12. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

Guys, if we are unable to unload Payne or Walker, it would only be one of them. There is such a thing as depth to worry about. One will go, 3 will stay. From quality of play last year and age, Payne will probably the one to go, if they can get rid of him.

13. Erratic Assassin

Erratic Assassin All Pro

Okay, move them to the offensive line in that case :)

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

IF one is cut/traded I think it would be Walker .... he's more expensive and is oft injured and has underperformed the last couple of seasons .... Then again he can play DE on the strong side ....

15. We will sink this franchise further if we switch to a 4-3. Everyone knows that Fangio was incompetent in the 3-4, and also the 4-3. If we had ran the 4-3 under Fangio, you can bet your house our defense would have faired no better. Bring in an agreesive 3-4 coordinator to fix this ship.

16. whiskeyrbl

whiskeyrbl Guest

The only problem with this is in a 3-4 half of our defensive personell are playing out of their normal positions,add to the fact that those i saw interviewed wanted to switch to a 4-3 so their strengths could be utilized.And if i'm not mistaken i believe management said we were switching to a 4-3,with a few 3-4 sets.

17. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer All Pro

Why do I continue to see posters calling for us to bring in a coordinator to run the 3-4?? Didn't we already hire Richard Smith? Did I miss something?

18. cadahnic

cadahnic All Pro

Jack some people do not pay attention to Texans news. Anyway the thought on surplus of DTs and the such will be put to rest if Walker restructures his contract. As far as players go Smith and TJ will likely turn into our best DTs. They are our youngest and most athletic out of the top group being mentioned. Walker is the likely one to get cut and then they will likely retain the kid from the last two games that came off the practice squad. Also, look for Ioane and Deloach to be finding new places to play.
    Babin and Peek can play weakside DE, but we still need a strong side pass rusher that will maybe command prescence and take pressure off of Babin and Peek. Hopefully a possible trade down and Mario Williams. This year will not be an overall switch to a 43 defense but a hybid of the 43 and 34 similar to what Miami ran this year.

19. He still had to hire positional coaches at that point, we need coaches familiar with the 3-4, calm down there.

20. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer All Pro

The post (yours) I questioned directly was 12 hours ago and it referenced the coordinator. That is why I asked the question. I am not freaking out, I just thought I missed something. :)