How was the temp in the stadium today?

Discussion in 'Texan Tailgate' started by Hardcore Texan, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

So, just curious, I have heard how it can get pretty hot in the North End Zone when the roof is open. How were the conditions in the stadium today?

2. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

There was ice everywhere here.

3. sakebomb

sakebomb Hall of Fame

It was hot. Not miserable but just hot.

4. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Subscribed Contributor

Hot, we got the shade mid way thru the 3rd quarter, it made a huge difference.

5. rickyb

rickyb Scarlet is hot.

I was in the shade the whole time, and it was pretty dang great, although I can easily understand how being in the Bull Pen would raise the temp a bit. The Pen seemed the only part of the stadium baking in sunshine.

Maybe the Texans could consider December home games starting at 3pm? (ie, December = best odds for open roof; 3pm = shade for all)

6. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

It was HOT in the NEZ! I met a couple families in the Bullpen Pub who could not sit there because the seats were to hot for their kids to sit in. The brightness and glare was terrible. With the sun blasting down through the roof, it was difficult to see. IMO anyway. I spent the first half standing at the rail. The shade hits my area about 2-3 min after the half. I'm just to old and fat to tolerate that kind of heat. Got really sick last year trying to be tough and stick it out. Decided it just was not worth it this time.

7. BigWig

BigWig Bigimus Wigimus

I can relate, when I used to sit in the Bullpen, it was brutal.
    Personally maybe they should just open the roof for night games, that would please most everyone.
    I do miss a "true" outdoor stadium though and cant wait for a road trip to the great white north next year.

8. Hagar

Hagar Drink up yall, its the Texans!

I was sweating in the third quarter.

9. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

It wasn't too hot for me!!! :winky:

Thank you!!!!

10. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

IIRC, there were only 2 games this year with the roof open....is that right?

Does anyone know when Sect. 115 gets shade?

It seems like if the roof doesn't get open until late Nov or in Dec because of the policy, the temp will hopefully be no hotter than yesterday. Mix in a couple of games starting at 3PM and maybe a primetime game next season it could be much better.

11. SheTexan

SheTexan Site Contributor

At this time of year, section 115 gets shade right about half time. I sit in 116 and we get shade within 5 min or so of the third quarter. Before the time change, the NEZ stays pretty much in the sun throughout the entire game. Might start getting shade late in the forth quarter. With the new temp policy, unless we have a night game, the roof will probably stay closed. This was the only noon game where the roof was open, this year, so I really can't, and won't, complain. IF it had been cloudy, it probably would have been a very nice open roof day. The glare and brightness was terrible.

12. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

All of this reinforces the fact that this is a poorly designed stadium with regards to sunlight, temperature control and air circulation.

13. Baga21

Baga21 Rookie

3/4 of the stadium loved the roof being open. It was beautiful outside...cool and quite comfortable inside.

I do feel for the NEZ and I was wondering if it was hot because the sun was blasting them all game.

3:00pm December games is a good idea if we could get them.

14. Bob McNair

Bob McNair Veteran

The weather was perfect and it was great having the roof open. Yes, my seats are in the shade, I would not have bought seats in the sun. I can't stand sitting in the sun (I don't like the brightness, glare, heat, or sunburn), but since I am more than 4 years old I knew that meant "get seats in the shade".

Some people love sitting in the sun. For those who don't like sitting in the sun but bought tickets in the North End Zone anyways: spend $3 and buy a hat or visor. Or spend $30 and buy a licensed Texans hat. If the sun is shining I wear a hat just to walk from the tailgate into the stadium.

15. StarStruck

StarStruck Site Contributor

I didn't check the time, but 115 got the shade about 10 minutes into the second half. I left my area with about 4 minutes on the clock before the half, and returned a few minutes after Davis' first kickoff return and my area had shade. From that point on the weather was great.

Before the game I was excited about the open roof given the temperature was below 80 degrees, but the stadium holds the heat and it felt more like 90. it wasn't anything like the Steeler game because I think I could have remained yesterday without becoming ill although it was extremely uncomfortable. 3:00 would be a great gametime, even with the warmer temperatures earlier in the season.

16. FILO_girl

FILO_girl I'm not here

It was almost miserable. Awesome weather for tailgating, but there is MINIMAL air movement inside Reliant. Didn't make the entire 4th quarter, too uncomfortable. If the roof is open, we are in the sun the entire game...for noon games.

If they could only close the roof on the NEZ...it would have been great. :)

17. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

It was warm, but it wasn't anything to freak out about. The beating of the sun and the constant holding the hand over forehead to block the glare was the biggest issue.
    The shade was nice when it rolled around.
    Personally, I'm all for keeping the roof open if it's nice weather/OR rainy weather. But it has to be cold in order for that bad boy to stay open. Anything over 75 degrees is going to be brutal for us.
    I still have flashbacks of the Steelers game in 05, when I completely lost feeling in my hands.

18. Drew_Smoke

Drew_Smoke @Drew_Smoke

I wussed out and moved to the other end. The sun is one thing, but no breeze (all they gotta do is prop doors open) sucks. If they'd just close the roof enough to block out the sun y'all would have it made.

19. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Perfect.

Great day to have the roof open.

As we were walking in, I mentioned to my guest that it brought back memories of when I HATED walking into the Astrodome on a beautiful late fall/early winter day to watch a game.

20. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

It was plenty breezy in my upper SEZ seats. Almost made it a little too chilly. The flags on the south goal post were even flapping. First time ever I can recall noticing that.

And even when I baked in the sun in the NEZ the 1st 4 years, there seemed to always be a breeze, not so much for the Pittsburgh game, but I've always felt a breeze with the lid open.

Maybe it doesn't get down to the lower bowl.