How tradeable is Anthony Weaver?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TheRealJoker, Feb 10, 2009.

1. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Just got a thought in my head. Anthony Weaver was a good 3-4 DE before coming to Houston and is out of place as a 4-3 DE.

With all the new teams moving to a 3-4, I think that Weaver would be worth something to one of those teams. Most notably the Broncos and the Packers who are making the switch and who do not currently have all of the pieces in place. I realize that Weaver's contract makes a trade very tough to do but do any of you think its possible to do a sign and trade type deal?

I think we could get atleast a 5th for Weaver's pedigree as a starting 3-4 DE if his contract were restructured. I'm sure he'd like to go back to a role he was more successful at as well. This would give us another pick in the upcoming draft and allow us to get rid of one of our highest paid and underperforming players.

2. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

his contract is too high

3. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

I don't think his salary is too high for a trading partner. The only reason he has a big cap number now is bc he was given way too much guaranteed. If we traded Weaver, whatever team gets him will have to pay him 3.5 million per year for the next 2 seasons. None will be guaranteed. Thats not really that high of a salary if he starts somewhere else, and he could always restructure or sign a new deal to procure additional guarantees and make his numbers more cap friendly

4. TEXANRED

TEXANRED Texan-American

About the same as the Peso on the open market.

5. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I have NOT looked it up ,but , If I recall his average is about 40 tackles a year and(I might be generous) 5 sacks over his career ..average wise (if that)..

I don't think the guy tanks it ,but for a business standpoint and with that am't of flow going to him, i think you could get someone to do about the same with a lot less money

He has worked under RS so maybe he can breakout.. I don't know

6. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

..///

7. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Weaver doesn't carry the trade value of a bag of balls. Much less a draft choice. If the Texans do the right thing, and cut him loose, Weaver won't get a contract above the vet minimum.

Weaver has been here 3 years, and Travis Johnson has been here for 4. They've shown nothing to deserve their contracts and were outplayed last season by street free agents. Cutting them will be addition by subtraction.

8. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

He was a bad fit here from the beginning.....he's more of a 3-4 end than a 4-3 end. To answer your question though.....Weaver doesn't really have any trade value. Players like him are a dime a dozen in the middle rounds of drafts, he brings nothing special to the table really, and I can't wait for Houston to move on without him. Everytime he takes the field we're playing with one DE and 3 DTs on the Dline.

9. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Weaver has been useless in our defense since he's been here, but I think he would still be attractive to 3-4 teams looking for veteran help at the crucial end position. He may not have lit up the stat sheets in Houston, but his 50-ish tackles per year are about par or better than most 3-4 ends get in a season. His 5 (or less?) career sacks would fit nicely into that position as well

During the last 4-5 games of the season, when our defense suddenly looked "different" because of the playcalling, Weaver end up looking much much better than he ever had. He had an INT and a handful of tackles for a loss. Who knows, maybe he'll make some miraculous turn around

10. keyser

keyser Hall of Fame

I don't see us getting a draft pick for Weaver, but I could see a team that is switching to a 3-4 being willing to make a trade for Weaver, giving up a player in a similar situation who could play in a 4-3, but won't work in the 3-4. Basically, each team would be getting rid of a player they could easily get rid of anyway, and gets to try out a new player that might fit better. I'm not familiar enough with the Broncos or Packers to know whether they have such a player on their roster.

11. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

To answer that question just know that Weaver and tradeable should not be used in the same sentence. With his contract he has no value to anybody. You could sign somebody that may not be as good, but who has 1/4 the price tag. A good deal for any team really.

12. Big Lou

Big Lou Stop Clowning

I think a "contract restructure and trade" would be possible especially if you tell him that he can either do that or just get cut.

Either way, hopefully Rick Smith can get him to at least restructure. He should feel a little guilty with what he's bieng paid. I know that this is a bussiness, but the Texans ussually do the right thing with it's players. Look what they did with Carr, they could have been total a-holes, but they manned up.

Come on Anthony be a "Team Player"!!!!!

13. TexansMVP

TexansMVP Probowler

Can someone jog my memory but was Weaver signed under Casserly or Smith?

14. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

As terrible as Weaver has been for us in the sack department he was actually serviceable as a 3-4 DE. 15.5 career sacks, only one of those coming with us in the last three years. So 14.5 with Baltimore in the 4 seasons he was there as a 3-4 DE. He was never a star but he was a very solid player. Quite a few thought his sack numbers would actually take a slight uptick if he signed with a 4-3 team. Man were they wrong. Count me as one of them, I was pleased when we signed him. Figured he would be a 5-6 sack a year guy who was solid against the run. I don't believe the decline in production is a product of the scheme switch, I just don't think he is the player that he once was, for whatever reason.

Anyway, with regard to the original question, players like Weaver do not get traded. He has been banged up with us and has had little to no production. Even without his signing bonus tacked on his contract wouldn't turn into nearly enough of a bargain to warrant a team giving up an asset to acquire him. If we draft a pass rusher in the first 3 rounds odds are he gets cut IMO. Maybe in the NBA were expiring contracts actually have value.

15. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

Casserly was the GM, Kubiak was the coach, and he was signed in the FA period before the 2006 draft at a time where we probably didn't imagine Mario being the number 1 pick.

16. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

Anthony Weaver, during his Texans tenure:

1 sack
    2 interceptions

That's the only stat I need to see on him. Completely and utterly untradeable.

17. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

In that scenario, Weaver would prefer being cut. Then he could sign with any team that wants him. If such a team exists.

18. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

If some team would hire Isiah Thomas as their GM we might have a chance.

False Start likes this.
  19. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

Weaver is a valuable "locker-room presence", as they say. After all, that seems to be a popular rationale for paying D-Rob guaranteed money at or approaching 23-25 M.

20. TexansFan33

TexansFan33 DW33

We Might get a 7? :texflag: