Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

How to survive draft day as a Texans fan.

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
1.) Understand what the current Texans FO and coaches want from each position.
Generally speaking they...
a. Like leaders and captains

b. Like versatility

c. Like big conference guys early .

d. Like quickness over speed .

e. prefer athletes over size on all levels of both sides of the ball

f. like guys who have played a lot/experience.

2.) Understand what value the Texans FO and coaches attach to each position.

3.) Understand that the Texans have one of the largest, if not the largest Scouting team in the NFL. i.e. they know more about these players than you know about your children (especially your teenagers).

4.) Relax, it only counts once they get on the field and we actually see how they fit on this team and into our gameplans.

5.) Remember, most draft picks are journeyman at best, busts are common place, and this FO has got a fairly solid record over the past few years.

6.) Don't expect the media to show any coverage of the Texans or their picks.

Last edited:

eriadoc

Texan-American
That's key, and was the impetus behind my other thread. I don't think the fan base has any real sense of what they want from each position because they have kind of gone about things in avery haphazard way. And where they have been consistent, it hasn't produced on the field. I mean, you can keep drafting 3 techs all day for the DL, but if we keep having one of the worst pass rushes in the NFL, at some point, I'm thinking maybe they're going about it all wrong, especially when there are 31 other teams to look at to see how else it can be done.

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
Yeah, your post is on the money too.

The team has gotten better and better each year, not sure I'm writing off the blue print yet.

Honoring Earl 34

Something Witty !
This is one of those things that reveal itself in time . I do think the Texans use a certain criteria for their guys .

1. Like leaders and captains

2. Like versatility

3. Like big conference guys early .

4. Like quickness over speed .

5. Like TE's and CBS .

m5kwatts

Veteran
This is one of those things that reveal itself in time . I do think the Texans use a certain criteria for their guys .

2. Like versatility

5. Like TE's and CBS .
I would add they prefer athletes over size on all levels of both sides of the ball

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame

2. Like versatility

5. Like TE's and CBS .
I would add they like guys who have played a lot/experience.

Hardcore Texan

Magnet Man
How the hell can we get decent TV coverage? Every time we have a pick the bastards go to commercial. I have seen absolutely ZERO coverage of teh Texans.

eriadoc

Texan-American
We've graduated from picking people they blast off on to picking people they just don't care about or think will perform well enough to talk about. It's a step forward.

Wolf6151

All Pro
Generally speaking they...
a. Like leaders and captains

b. Like versatility

c. Like big conference guys early .

d. Like quickness over speed .

e. prefer athletes over size on all levels of both sides of the ball

f. like guys who have played a lot/experience.

2.) Understand what value the Texans FO and coaches attach to each position.

3.) Understand that the Texans have one of the largest, if not the largest Scouting team in the NFL. i.e. they know more about these players than you know about your children (especially your teenagers).

4.) Relax, it only counts once they get on the field and we actually see how they fit on this team and into our gameplans.

5.) Remember, most draft picks are journeyman at best, busts are common place, and this FO has got a fairly solid record over the past few years.

6.) Don't expect the media to show any coverage of the Texans or their picks.

#7. Always remember that a #6 TE is more important than starting Offensive Linemen which will now be a need in next years draft as well.

kiwitexansfan

Hall of Fame
#7. Always remember that a #6 TE is more important than starting Offensive Linemen which will now be a need in next years draft as well.
Shelley Smith can start this year.

OL is sorted.

Brown, S. Smith, Caldwell, Briesel, Winston

Myers, Butler, W. Smith, Studdard in reserve.

I can live with that.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
I survie by drinking a lot. So kiss my ass.

I like this draft. A coupe of misses, some hits, it's averages out to be just fine by me. but then Im drunk. LOL

I dam sure like the quick dude from the 6th round who'll make athoudand touchdomws for us this year.

Pardon the spelling. It's difficult tospell when you are on your 3rd 6th pack. LOL

edit. there are far to many sticky treadys. this shouild be illegal

Texan_Bill

Hall of Fame
I survie by drinking a lot. So kiss my ass.

I like this draft. A coupe of misses, some hits, it's averages out to be just fine by me. but then Im drunk. LOL

I dam sure like the quick dude from the 6th round who'll make athoudand touchdomws for us this year.

Pardon the spelling. It's difficult tospell when you are on your 3rd 6th pack. LOL
This about surviving the draft, not your daily life.. :smiliedance:

That's key, and was the impetus behind my other thread. I don't think the fan base has any real sense of what they want from each position because they have kind of gone about things in avery haphazard way. And where they have been consistent, it hasn't produced on the field. I mean, you can keep drafting 3 techs all day for the DL, but if we keep having one of the worst pass rushes in the NFL, at some point, I'm thinking maybe they're going about it all wrong, especially when there are 31 other teams to look at to see how else it can be done.
That is my issue with Kubiak, he is stubborn to a fault.

But at the same time he is loyal and he allows things to build.

We are still one of the youngest teams in the league, and we got younger with Dunta and Zgonina both off the team. Most of the defense has not hit their prime NFL years yet.

How should I act to survive the draft? I should stop watching the danged thing and wait until the following Monday to see who we took.

That's not happening

#7 understand that the strategy usually seems to be draft for BPA in need positions the first 2 or 3 rounds, and then primarily BPA the rest of the way. The Texans are looking for people who can at least make the team for depth, not trying to pick 6 CB's and hope 1 good one comes out, or somehow assuming that picking one player for each need will actually pan out.