Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

How to fix the offense

amazing80

Hall of Fame
Ok, to change it up some, how do we fix our offense? Don't complain about Schaub or say we suck or post garbage. Seriously think about the topic and post ideas how to fix the offense, like changing the oline around, starting a new qb, changing play calls, design new plays, whatever. Post some ideas and see what we can come up with.

Invest heavily on the Oline. We just aren't getting good enough play from them right now, and we don't have a QB that is good enough to make up for it. We have to get back to winning the battle in the trenches.

I'm not sure what we do about next week. Pray, I guess. Before next year starts I hope we draft a couple of lineman and have someone in mind to groom as Schaub's replacement.

I don't think we will be able to run the ball anymore this year. The colts had just givin up 300 yards rushing against the Chiefs and we could'nt run on them. Time to go back a couple of years and open up this offense if we have any hope of winning some games in the playoff's

Are we talking about the offseason or for the upcoming Cincy game?

For this year.....Get the damn TE's involved. What happened to the TE playaction game? Casey doesn't get any touches anymore. Martin is completely invisible in the slot. No looks. We ride Foster too much. Get Tate more carries. Rediscover the intermediate passing game.

For next year....need to upgrade the O-Line. It's been a sieve for the last month. Need to add another receiving weapon. Would be nice to add another good TE.

Pass more. Run run pass doesn't work. Let Schaub get into rhythm early. Have the pass set up the run. Have Schaub practice deep passes all damn week.

One thing I'd like to more of I'd screens, preferrably to guys with a little more speed than OD. Zone blocking lineman are athletic so I would think we would be a better screen team. I'd also like to get Casey matched up on some LBs in the passing game, he's got great speed and great hands. Just a couple thoughts for this season. We need OL help in the worst way

Right guard.

Right tackle.

Use Posey more, but don't expect miracles yet.

Use Clutts, or whatever his name is. We need the blocking BAD.

Send at least 3 deep on the same play occasionally.

Matter of fact, try using Casey AND Clutts WITH Foster or Tate and see what you can do with that. I'm thinking of the 49ers.

Use the 4 WR set more often.

Let Schaub audible to whatever he thinks will work. I know Kubiak will NEVER do this, but he sure ought to try it.

All I got.

I think this offense has leveled out until a young QB is brought in and developed. They've got Schaub with guaranteed money through 2013. But in 2014, he need competition. That's why I would get a QB in this draft and develop him. A Kaepernick or Wilson type.

We don't need wholesale changes. We're stuck with Schaub and Kubiak for the foreseeable future so there's nothing we can do about that at the moment. What they have to realize is that the offense needs more flexibility. We need an offense that can quickly and efficiently move the ball. It's probably too late to make those kinds of changes right now, but I would like to see Keyshawn Martin more in this offense. I don't know why all of a sudden he's disappeared in the offense. DeVier Posey has been playing well but I think Martin can still contribute by become a possession receiver. Not having big tight ends also is a limiting factor because we can't make plays over the top of the defense. OD is great at moving the chains but he's not a big play threat. Overall we absolutely need to become more fast on offense.

Next week? Nothing can be done. The plodding sack of **** wearing number 8 will throw picks and fall down. It's going to happen so why worry about it. This season has been a colossal waste of time so the sooner it ends the better. Sadly we won so many games that we'll draft as if we were actually a good team and not just some aberration that picks on weak-sister teams with losing records. Just get it over with and head for the off-season.

Then I think that we invest heavily in the offensive line. I'm talking first day picks and maybe a free agent signing. It's time to take OL picks more seriously.

I think this offense has leveled out until a young QB is brought in and developed. They've got Schaub with guaranteed money through 2013. But in 2014, he need competition. That's why I would get a QB in this draft and develop him. A Kaepernick or Wilson type.

Is there a QB like that in this draft? Most of them are all classic dropback passers.

I guess Geno Smith could be he has some athleticism but he's going to go high.

This team needs speed somewhere on the offensive side of the ball. None of our skill positions players are a threat to go the distance. Maybe we miss Jacoby.:kitten:

I'm not sure what we do about next week. Pray, I guess. Before next year starts I hope we draft a couple of lineman and have someone in mind to groom as Schaub's replacement.

I don't think we will be able to run the ball anymore this year. The colts had just givin up 300 yards rushing against the Chiefs and we could'nt run on them. Time to go back a couple of years and open up this offense if we have any hope of winning some games in the playoff's

agree with this, we need to start playing like we are always playing catch up, especially if the run game just isnt working. Go 5 wide and stretch the field, what we are doing now isnt working so we might as well try something different. BUT kubiak wont.

We need a different mix of plays. Right now our offense doesn't resemble the team of 2 years ago when we could convert more than 50% of our 3rd downs. We are last in 3rd down conversions this season. Down from the best.

I would like to see more screens, more passing to Arian in the flat, and passing the ball to the TEs. Our WRs aren't gonna get any more this season than what we've got.

That's not going to help. He can't hit a receiver in stride. If he ever does or recently has.....it was an accident.

agreed.

Actually, he did really well (you just reminded me) in the Denver game. God, that was a long time ago. Seems like last year.

Actually, he did really well (you just reminded me) in the Denver game. God, that was a long time ago. Seems like last year.

yeah it does, that is when our offense was looking like the cream of the crop in the NFL, scoring easily and at will. Man the drop off is so big it is almost hard to believe.

Then I think that we invest heavily in the offensive line. I'm talking first day picks and maybe a free agent signing. It's time to take OL picks more seriously.

I always thought that was one thing the Oilers did right. They drafted a bunch of O-lineman early and rode them for about 10 years. Sometimes you need more than lineman that work in the scheme that your using you need some guys who can outplay the guy in front of him.

yeah it does, that is when our offense was looking like the cream of the crop in the NFL, scoring easily and at will. Man the drop off is so big it is almost hard to believe.

what changed...did an olinemen get hurt or something...what is causing this massive drop off?

what changed...did an olinemen get hurt or something...what is causing this massive drop off?

honestly. here is what i think.

when kubiak gets a little lead in a game he gets really conservative, i see no difference in what he did with our lead in the AFC and it really bit us in the ass. I think he is the reason for the drop off. He seems to get scared and tries to out smart himself.

so we get a lead in a game and go turtle and we get a lead in the AFC and go turtle, not surprising really. I expect to see him open it back up next weekend now that we've lost HFA haha

We need a new qb. It's not the wr's. It's not. It's not the te's. It's not the oline. It's not the rb.

We need a new qb. Or we need a new coach that will get a new qb.

Schaub and kubiak are a poor combination. Schaub is a back up qb. He is John kitna.

I don't care if we take s couple steps back at the position trying to find a guy that can make plays. He's not the guy. Hes a grade above Chad henne. He's Matt hassleback. He's Alex smith without the mobility and arm. He's the non mobile safe with the ball sage rosenfels. He's the more successful Gary kubiak...and only because he made him that...

Get Winston, Briesel, Dreessen, Leach, Gibbs, and Kyle Shannahan back. Reverse the aging process on Andre, add a true # 2 WR... get Tate back to form, And replace Schaub with a mobile, proven playoff QB who has been studying this system secretly on the side for years.

VUALA!!!

Are we talking about the offseason or for the upcoming Cincy game?

For this year.....Get the damn TE's involved. What happened to the TE playaction game? Casey doesn't get any touches anymore. Martin is completely invisible in the slot. No looks. We ride Foster too much. Get Tate more carries. Rediscover the intermediate passing game.

For next year....need to upgrade the O-Line. It's been a sieve for the last month. Need to add another receiving weapon. Would be nice to add another good TE.

I agree with this for the most part. Make KDub a TE open up our 3 TE packages. Take your pick for the #2 WR. I like Posey & Jean sharing that spot, with KMart in the slot. Get Tate involved. Foster ran better when he was competing with Tate.

honestly. here is what i think.

when kubiak gets a little lead in a game he gets really conservative, i see no difference in what he did with our lead in the AFC and it really bit us in the ass. I think he is the reason for the drop off. He seems to get scared and tries to out smart himself.

so we get a lead in a game and go turtle and we get a lead in the AFC and go turtle, not surprising really. I expect to see him open it back up next weekend now that we've lost HFA haha

idk, we were barely ahead of indy and we seemed to drop off before we ever played them...something is not right, not sure what....

not to mention , its not our ability to get open deep, its the ability or lack of getting them the ball

I'm not sure about the first part. When all our guys are getting man coverage all game and all you ever see is an occasional man with half a step on thier defender..... It does'nt make the other coach want to double anyone. No one is worried about anyone on our team making a game changing play. I never see AJ getting double coverage anymore and we sure don't have anyone else to take the presure off. We need a playmaker.

You are right about Schaub being part of the problem as well.

I'm not sure about the first part. When all our guys are getting man coverage all game and all you ever see is an occasional man with half a step on thier defender..... It does'nt make the other coach want to double anyone. No one is worried about anyone on our team making a game changing play. I never see AJ getting double coverage anymore and we sure don't have anyone else to take the presure off. We need a playmaker.

You are right about Schaub being part of the problem as well.

well I see guys beating their man consistently and Schaub under throwing them and then occasionally over throwing them...he did it what, 2 or 3 times today? how many times do you think we should go deep? the system is fine, the skill players are fine, the person running the offense is not fine.

but since we cannot change that right now we need to come up with another plan to further limit schaubs inabilities.

I think we need to run more but in order to do this we need to shore up the right side of the line...not sure how, but they better evaluate the entire team and see if we can plug anyone in at rg and get better play....because the last few games have not been good over there

Pass more. Run run pass doesn't work. Let Schaub get into rhythm early. Have the pass set up the run. Have Schaub practice deep passes all damn week.

This....commitment to the run game has not been effective...open it up & let this dude get into a rythm...they'll have to match up and take someone out of the box....then hit em with foster/tate..

I think some of what's going on is that, thoughout the season, teams have figured us out and how to deal with us. We've been less than stellar on the right side all year, but about a month ago, they figured out they could overload us on the LEFT side, and still beat us on the right, so that Brown and Smith on the left can't open anything up for Foster either. I remember early in the year thinking that, when we ran to the right, the RB always cut straight up-field or back to the left. Only time the RB stayed straight with his designed run-play was when we ran to the left. This has also cost us any place for Scaub to run and hide, not that he ever had mobility anyway. Lack of quality play on the right side is hurting us even more now that teams are over-loading the left side, so that we can't do anything either way. We sure can't run either way....and that's the whole ball-game....because Schaub ain't doing ****e if we can't run.

Another question is why can't Schaub pass when we can't run? He passed when we couldn't run in 2009. What's changed there?

edit: 2 minutes later: answer: it's still the right side of the line, because they don't protect the QB either.

well I see guys beating their man consistently and Schaub under throwing them and then occasionally over throwing them...he did it what, 2 or 3 times today? how many times do you think we should go deep? the system is fine, the skill players are fine, the person running the offense is not fine.

but since we cannot change that right now we need to come up with another plan to further limit schaubs inabilities.

I think we need to run more but in order to do this we need to shore up the right side of the line...not sure how, but they better evaluate the entire team and see if we can plug anyone in at rg and get better play....because the last few games have not been good over there

agree schaub missed 3 TDs, sure AJ should of caught the under thrown ball but put it up above his chest its a TD, Lestar had a step on his man, and then Graham had a lot of room to roam on the pick.

I see 21 points that schaub kept us from getting.

Matt Schaub is a 10 year vet and our QB for the last 6. Matt Schaub is who Matt Schaub is. If he can't hit a deep pass by now he never will.

Right guard.

Right tackle.

Use Posey more, but don't expect miracles yet.

Use Clutts, or whatever his name is. We need the blocking BAD.

Send at least 3 deep on the same play occasionally.

Matter of fact, try using Casey AND Clutts WITH Foster or Tate and see what you can do with that. I'm thinking of the 49ers.

Use the 4 WR set more often.

Let Schaub audible to whatever he thinks will work. I know Kubiak will NEVER do this, but he sure ought to try it.

All I got.

I want to change my first two sentences to:

Mike Briesel.

Eric Winston.

Well since we just mean this postseason it's a bit difficult.

The biggest issue is the offensive line is lacking and the truth of the matter is nothing we can do about it. There is no one else capable on the roster currently. We're stuck with Newton since Harris is not much different and stuck with Jones since Caldwell is not much different.

As one person pointed out one change-up to help the run game would be to use a real fullback in Clutts. Granted as someone who is also a Bears fan he isn't that good but has his moments in blocking. To also help the run game mix it more. Foster is more reliant on blocking to read and react. Tate is north and south where he just hits it. Wear the defense down and hit them more with both. We barely see Tate. Heck, mix Forsett sometimes on screens and such too.

For the passing game...get more freaking flexible. I have seen this offense more flexible than this. Remember when David Anderson made it seem like we had a slot receiver and Jones at times too? Do we still? Put Casey at end and hit them with him in the passing game. His size and speed is an advantage more times than not. Tight ends seem barely involved lately.

I know we were trying to limit Foster since he was running so much but it's time for him to be in the passing game much more again. He is a great receiver out the backfield and a threat in open field. Since we can't block much in the run game lets get him in space more.

Right now our offense feels, for lack of a better word, compact. Not very flexible, not much variation, etc. Need a shift to get things going again.

edit: 2 minutes later: answer: it's still the right side of the line, because they don't protect the QB either.

Not a popular opinion, but I don't think the line is the problem. Yes they are worse than last year.

The reason schaub isn't passing for all those yards like he did back then is because we are in games now. We aren't down by a bunch of scores playing prevent stat padding defense.

Matt's stats have also been helped a bunch by guys getting yac. For the past 6 years we've had a top 6 guy in yac. No other team has had that.

All o lines give up pressure. We got to luck a bunch today. But he was able to make big throws when the opportunity was there.

And Andre should have caught the ball, but the throw wasn't all that. He's 6 4 and has his man beat by a good margin. Throw the damn ball up so he can pluck it out the air and not have to slow down and bend over. That's the same version of throw that led to Andre kicking the ball up for a game ending int a couple years ago.

Underthrows, throws at the feet, no mobility, no playmaking. But not risky and knows the plays. A back up at his finest. Would love to have a real qb and have schaub behind him to hold the fort for a few games in case of injury.

The team looks defeated because they don't fully believe in the qb. They don't think he's going to make those big time plays. They don't believe he'll punish defenses. They'll give lip service and say they do though.

But look how energized this team was under Yates last year.

Indy, Baltimore and Denver are the only playoff teams we've beaten. The theory that we beat Denver early in the season before they'd got their act together gains credence. I hate to say it, but perhaps our offense was never quite as good as we though.

Back