How much is too much for Foster?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Marcus, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Pay the man!

Of course, they have to pay the man?

But the question is how much, or how much is too much? I'm hearing people say, "Yes, pay the man, but don't go crazy, and pay him Chris Johnson money!"

Well, we all know that's exactly what his agent is going to be asking for, right?

So, how much is too much?

thunderkyss likes this.
  2. BullNation4Life

BullNation4Life Hall of Fame

Not sure what the exact numbers are but I think somewhere in the middle of Chris Johnson money and Shaun Alexander money should be a nice payday...

3. rush2112mn

rush2112mn All Pro

yeah....a running backs life in the NFL is short...how many years does Foster have left? 2, 3...???

4. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

I don't know that Foster will get AP money from anyone, but I think this is too much to invest in Foster. I'd like to get Foster in the 6-8 million dollar range though. Would require guaranteeing more of the contract to get him that low, but it could be done.

Adrian Peterson Running Back 9/10/2011: Signed a seven-year, $96 million contract. The deal contains $36 million guaranteed, $32 million of which is guaranteed for skill and the other $4 million for injury. Another $4 million is available through escalators. 2011: $8.25 million, 2012: $8 million, 2013: $11.25 million, 2014: $11.75 million, 2015-2017: Under Contract, 2018: Free Agent

5. silvrhand

silvrhand Site Contributor

too much IMHO.. 4-6 million per year.

6. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I think that is an excellent question. If I were his agent, I'd take the last contracts of the best running back in the league (not including Arian), which would be MJD (my opinion) & the biggest contract out there (for a RB) I think is CJ2ypc....

If I'm Arian's agent, I'm starting at 15% premium to CJ2ypc.... but as long as I'm closer to CJ2ypc than MJDs, I'd be happy.

7. DX-TEX

DX-TEX Hall of Fame

I dont know, they guy pees in the pool. That automatically deducts like a million bucks.

8. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I'd make him an offer like 5 years 40 million with back end loaded to fall under new tv deal and give him $10-15m upfront bonus. I doubt I'd match anything much higher & just go with the draft picks other team loses. Should be a mid range team looking to sign him.
    I'm ok either way but like him on roster. Not in mood for any player to try to hold Texans hostage.

9. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Pay him what it takes to keep him, he is the best RB in the NFL.

Unless he is going to get injured then he isn't worth the money.....

10. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

Alrighty, I got some time to review some contracts. Let's look at CJ's. He signed a 6 yr(s) / $55,260,000 this past offseason after a holdout. PFT does a good job explaining it:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/08/the-full-chris-johnson-contract-breakdown/

AP's deal was 7 yr(s) / $96,000,000 (+ some incentives):
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6952094/minnesota-vikings-give-adrian-peterson-new-seven-year-100m-deal

So the big differences between these two deals is:
    1. The average $ per year 9.3 mill for CJ and about 13.7 mill for AP
    2. CJ got a 10 mill signing bonus and AP got none
    3. CJ got 30 mill gtd and AP got 36
    4. CJ will make 40 million in the first 4 years, wheras AP will make that much in 3 years. So AP gets his money faster, but has a longer deal.
    5. Cap hit cuts. AP can be cut or traded outright in year 4 after being paid 40 million for 3 years of service. CJ's cost to the team if cut or traded in the 4th year will be 4 million in 2014 with a total of 31 mill paid to him for 3 years of work. It will still cost the team 2 mill to cut him in 2015 due to his signing bonus, which would make him cost 39 mill for 4 years of work.

So ask yourself if you were a GM, which contract is more friendly to the team and mitigates your risk? Is it better to forego the signing bonus and guarantee more money instead?

I personally like the AP approach to the contract situation because if the RB gets banged up badly down the road, it's easier to cut him. I think it's reasonable to assume at least 3 more years of production out of Foster and probably more, but it's best for the team to have an out if they need to use it. It also means you can trade him down the road without a hit on your cap due to signing bonus acceleration. If we could sign him for a little less than CJ money, 6 years 50 million 32 gtd, but without the big signing bonus, I would be happy with that. I think he's worth 8 million a year + some incentives. I just hope the contract is heavy on incentives like AP's deal.

11. Dread-Head

Dread-Head Hall of Fame

I think commedian George Wallace said it best when he said:

"When you pay peanuts you get monkeys."

McNair's choice is to either pay the man or suffer with a half-assed running game and a defense that has to worry about STOPPING Foster when he gets with a new team. Sir if you're reading this...PAY THE MAN...and go back to the playoffs.

12. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

This team cannot realistically give him a contract like AP's, it'd be insane.

13. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Even CJ's contract is out there in left field..... $9.3M/yr

I was thinking something in the $8M/yr range as pricey, but "worth it"

Chances are his agent is going to want him to be somewhere between APs & Cj's $10M/yr & I don't know how that's going to work with the cap.

For all those guys saying it's going to be MW or Arian, I'm telling you now, I was wrong. We may not be able to sign them both.

14. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

MJD signed a 5 year deal back in 2009 worth $30.95M, a little over $4M/yr salary, plus almost $10M signing bonus.... roughly $6M/yr

Three years later, you wouldn't think the cost of a franchise RB would have gone from $6M to $11M/yr would you?

That's crazy.

15. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

Their average salary calculation is wrong. For his current contract from 2009-2014 the average salary including signing and roster bonus is 8.25 million in cap hit given their numbers. So something is wrong with that. I dug up this article from ESPN back in 2009:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4070094&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Maybe the signing bonus was reported incorrectly? I dunno, but something's not adding up there.

16. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

what? Dude is 25. Has at least 5 or 6 quality years left in him the way he avoids taking big hits.

17. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

31-17.5= 13.5 divide by 5= $2.7 base salary &
    17.5 divided by 5= 3.5 + 2.7= $6.2 cap hit. Seems reasonable.

18. SteveSlaton20

SteveSlaton20 All Pro

I think we should give him 5 years and $8-10 millions per year is fine. I think about $13m+ a year is too much.

19. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Not me $8m in first 2 years is too much. Now if he'll agree to say $5m and back end maybe.

20. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

take the average salary of the O-line and times it by 1, thats what we should pay him. He dont get all these big running lanes all by himself ;)