How many sacks for Reed now?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by b0ng, Oct 10, 2011.

?

total sacks by Brooks Reed now

1. 1-2

3.1%
  2. 3-4

4.6%
  3. 5-6

4.6%
  4. 7-8

21.5%
  5. 9-10

35.4%
  6. 11-12

21.5%
  7. 13+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. all of the sacks. feed the sack monster

9.2%
  1. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

I say he gets between 5 and 6 this year. He did flash a few things in preseason, but he's going going to be tested heavily by opposing OC's and blocking schemes. If he requires more than an RB or a TE to block on passes, then I think that's doing good.

2. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Honestly, once opposing OCs get some film on him and gameplan for him I think we'll really see if he's effective or not. MW had 5 sacks in 5 games in a brand new position. That kind of production is not going to be matched I'm afraid

3. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

So far so good. He's up to 5 sacks now, and with 6 games to go, he may get into double digits if he keeps up this pace.

Incredible.

4. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I chose to be optimistic, LOL.

5. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Can you imagine what the linebacker corps will be like next year? Assuming Mario is re-signed of course. Reed will have one year under his belt. Demeco should be fully recovered, comparitively speaking. The whole defense, as a whole, should be an exciting thing to watch.

6. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Plus whoever Wade snags in the upcoming draft....
    :d:

:highfive:

7. Rey

Rey Guest

I think he ends up with 8 or 9. I hope he ends up with 20.

8. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I went with 7-8. The rookie wall and OC's gameplanning for him will limit his sack production. That doesn't mean they limit the rest of his game or keep him out of the backfield.

9. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Do the miss Mario at all, because it seems that Reeds sack-per-game average is about what Marios was ? And Reed deserves a lot of credit for making this transition from 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB in his NFL rookie year.
    I would imgine that Mario is definitely missed in the teams run defense ?

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Yeah , I'd say they do miss MW to some degree. That guy has to be accounted for on every play which opens up opportunities for others. Just look at the performance of AS since MW went down.

You do have to give a lot of credit to Wade and Reed for making the transition almost seamless tho ....

11. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Yes.

Traditional wisdome would say you take Reeds production & add Williams production. None of this either or stuff, we're not talking about QBs. Has Mario ever had anyone opposite him to get 5+ sacks? Has Reed ever played with a double digit sack maker opposite him? Doesn't matter if you don't like the way he does it. He does. & everyone knows he will & they can't stop him.

Barwin is saving us a bunch of money right now. But he isn't replacing Mario's production. This defense is better with Mario than without; bigger, stronger, faster, scarier, more versatile, more stout.

Even if you think Reed can eventually play as well as Mario. You put those two monsters on the field together. You don't tie on hand behind your back just to prove that you can.

VTexan and ObsiWan like this.
  12. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Nice post. MSR.

13. welsh texan

welsh texan Lest we forget

It seems Connor Barwin's stock has dropped pretty damn quick for a guy who hasn't done anything wrong.

Lets not forget that its Reed who is playing the position designed to rack up the stats in this D and Barwin is still playing really well from the other side.

If they do resign Mario (and as I've stated before, I think Mario has the chance to become one of the best in the NFL at that position, but I wouldn't be signing him if the deal can't be made reasonable, there isn't the drop off we may have expected, and the chance to upgrade at other positions surely has to play a factor), but as I was saying, if they do resign Mario, that is one hell of a rotation to have, and possibly opens up some other options like rotating Mario to DE and spelling Watt or Smith now and again as well.

14. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Not exactly, Mario played that position. Then they tried Barwin over there exclusively..... not a lot happened.

They've been switching Reed & Barwin around, which leads to that extra versatility some fans have been saying we get with Reed.

Reed has been getting his sacks from either side, but it's been because of better secondary coverage & his whistle to whistle play. I've seen a couple where he's one on one with a Tightend, he wraps all the way around, but since the QB still has the ball, Reed is able to get to him (way beyond the 3 second mark).

15. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

Not possible. Aren't Allen and KJ still out there? That's an automatic completion isn't it? There cannot possibly be "coverage sacks" for the Texans...? Can there....?
    :kitten:

16. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Isn't Barwin playing the open or weak side and is that not the side where
    the most sack opportunities exist for the edge-rusher ?

17. welsh texan

welsh texan Lest we forget

He was to begin with, the first couple of games after Mario, but it wasn't working too well so they switched it around. Others seem to think they now swap sides often. Being in the UK I'm watching crappy online streams so its difficult to see things like that going on with such poor quality.

18. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Mario is still playing; you didn't know that? :spin:

19. Rey

Rey Guest

msr.

20. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

:confused:
    what does that mean?