How many defensive tackles texans keep ?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by newtexan, Aug 15, 2010.

1. newtexan

newtexan Veteran

CODY,OKAM,OKOYE,MITCHELL, ROBINSON,SHEPPARD.UREIN .. how many do they usually keep ?

2. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

I am going to guess around 4. Maybe 5, but since Antoine Smith will play DT on passing situations 4 makes more sense to me.

Okoye
    Cody
    Mitchell
    Robinson

Okam is as good as gone. Huge (not in the good way), not very mobile, and seemingly unmotivated.

Your man-crush Sheppard has a shot, but I dont think he sticks this year.

I really liked Unrein coming out of college, but it does not sound like he is impressing coaches in practice, nor did he look great during the game. So, barring a miracle, he is out.

3. Rey

Rey Guest

Right now I'm not convinced that Okam is gone...He seems to be higher on the depth chart than Robinson

4. newtexan

newtexan Veteran

I actually think they keep six this year, Okam stays and Sheppard too interesting not to keep.

5. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

6? With the bevy of TEs the Texans have? A bunch of talented wide receivers? Incredible depth at linebacker? No way 6 stay.

6. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Seems like they keep either DeJuan or Okam just because the rest of the DT corp is so smallish ? And I expect we lose Sheppard who will probably be nabbed by somebody when we try to put him on the PS which I think will put him at risk to the waiver-wire ?

7. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Okam hasn't done a whole lot, but Robinson has done less.

8. Vinnie

Vinnie with an I E

I think they'll keep the four rmartin mentioned and that's it. I think we'll be seeing Smith bumped inside and more Connor Barwin at DE this year, so Smith will be performing the DT function as well.

9. newtexan

newtexan Veteran

Some packages Smith could play DT along side Mitchell, how long do you experiment with Okam because of girth, its obvious Sheppard is more active and explosive than Robinson and Okam and he's only been a Texan a few months, these next few games will help clear the air, looking at the highlights above Sheppard clearly holds his own every play in the early qtrs. against their twos ,remember Okoye's contract is up in a couple of yrs. Texans are looking beyond this season, Sheppards a lock.

10. Blake

Blake MMQB

I think 5.

Starter: Okoye - Rotational: Mitchell
    Starter: Cody - Rotational: Okam

Third String Robinson.

11. Rey

Rey Guest

I think they'll keep 5:

Okoye, Cody, Mitchell, Okam,Sheppard

I could be wrong, but I thought Okam was used a bit in goal line/short yardage packages last year. If the rotation this past saturday meant anything then it looks like Okam is atleast in the top four..

12. newtexan

newtexan Veteran

The fact that Smith can move to DT on some packages i think opens the door for the Texans to do what i think they really want to do , invest in Sheppard, over-weight DT'S come a dime a dozen in this league, and then they're gassed after a couple of plays, Texans have a good problem on the DT side , too bad for who-ever come up short, but don't be surprised if Sheppard makes it.

13. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

13 out of your 19 posts have been about Sheppard. Just curious, do you know the guy?

He was undrafted for a reason. It may have been a deep class, but the fact remains: undrafted. Yes, some UDFAs make rosters, become starters, become stars. But that is the exception rather than the rule. For every Kurt Warner there are 100 guys who are still bagging groceries.

14. newtexan

newtexan Veteran

Not really, ask some of the cushing posters do they know him, i just followed him thru college, this UDFA THING is waaayyyyyy overused , ryan leaf,no 1- j.russell, no.1- b.bosworth,no.1,.......IT'S NOT ALWAYS THE LEANING TREE THAT FALLS FIRST.

15. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Really? Thats your argument, that first round picks bust? Of course they do, the draft is not perfect. But pick a random UDFA any given year, and then a first round pick any given year. Who do you think is still in the league 3, 5 10 years later? I would bet on the guy taken in the first.

16. newtexan

newtexan Veteran

Just my point, THE DRAFT IS NOT PERFECT !!, most great head coaches never played a down in the NFL , there are some things that can't be measured, like HEART,DETERMINATION,DRIVE,MOTIVATION,... and for some players going UNDRAFTED when all the experts say you should have been drafted, they know every day must be 100%, CHRIS LOW of espn says it was a shock that sheppard was'nt drafted, stay tuned you'll see why i posted a lot on the guy nicknamed the wood.

17. J_R

J_R Hall of Fame

4 probably. Cody, Okoye, Mitchell and ??? Unsure on the 4th.

18. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

How did Mitchell play Saturday?

19. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

4, Cody, Okoye, Mitchell, Robinson. Sheppard on the PS.

Okam has been exposed for long enough. Hes soft and we have better options, let some other team have a go at him. I could see us looking for a veteran after cuts to replace Deljuan if he doesn't show some more during the rest of the preseason.

20. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

I thought he showed some nice flashes, Lance Z has a good writeup:

http://blogs.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2010/08/post_164.html

"I saw very active hands from Earl Mitchell in the first half, but I didn't see much from him in that half in terms of productivity. I did, however, think he played much better in the 2nd half including a sick spin move during a pass rush where he was able to get pressure on the QB. Don't be surprised to see Mitchell get 3rd down snaps with the first unit at times during the season."