How Good Is Peyton Manning? Texans and Jaguars Provide a Clue

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Double Barrel, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Interesting theory.

I think our problems are deeper than that, but I think this hypothesis has some merit.

2. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Totally agree. Our problems run much deeper than this... but it does have some merit. Peyton Manning (along with Tom Brady) is one of the greatest QBs of all time. The fact of the matter though is every team is striving to be "the best" so you can't use who you're playing as an excuse: it just means you're not there yet. Maybe not even close.

3. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Its one of the things that we as fans overlook when we talk about why our team stinks & fail to make the playoffs year after year. Yeah, we've DEFINITELY got our own problems, but manning isn't making it much easier for us.

I was talking to a guy i know a while back who's dad is a jets fan & his dad said that our division reminds him ALOT of the old AFC east back in the late 70's, early 80's when marino & the dolphins had that division on lock. He said, like us texans fans he used to cringe as he watched marino shred up his jets defense every time they played & everyone in the division knew that you 1st had to conquer the dolphins in your own division before you even thought about making playoffs let alone a superbowl.

4. disaacks3

disaacks3 Site Contributor

Well, when you take away his running game, there's not much left BUT to pass.

He's a 1st ballot hall of famer, but the Colts aren't indestructible. You just need to keep the ball out of Peyton's hands as much as possible.

5. wagonhed

wagonhed Team Gruden

I don't buy it. Schaub's numbers have been on par with Manning's the last 2 years. I'm not saying he is as good, but still.

The problem isn't Manning, it's that the Colts are a good organization and the Texans are a shitty organization.

You don't see the Ravens complaining about how they can't make the playoffs because of the Steelers. Or the Jets because of the Patriots. Or the Bears because of the Packers. Etc, etc.

Manning and the Colts was 1 of our losses this year, 2 last. But the Jags were 1 this year and 2 last as well. But we don't see anyone blaming David Garrard for our inability to be a competent organization that regularly contends for the division.

6. MojoX

MojoX Veteran

Manning is 2 games a year. Still leaves 14 others to be won.

7. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

I guess it's plausible. McNair did talk about how the Texans won some games that no one thought they could. The Indy game would be the only one that qualifies in that regard.

I'm going with McNair is incompetent and naive, though.

8. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

yeah, I don't really buy it either. Every team has some sort of cross to bear, for the Texans it's themselves first, and all the other excuses afterwards.

9. dc_txtech

dc_txtech Subscribed Contributor

I found this comment entertaining

Right, it's the Oline that makes Peyton great. Has nothing to do with the fact that he gets back in his drop and gets rid of the ball faster than anybody in the league. Or the fact that those passes come out with pinpoint precision and a ton of velocity.

10. Ole Miss Texan

The thing is though, Manning singlehandedly carries the Colts. There's no doubt that franchise is very well run and very efficient... but Manning puts that team on his back and is required to win games for them, all 16 of them. This season is a perfect example of how much Indy struggled and Peyton still pulls out 10 wins and the division outright.

No doubt we have to win our games and that's not something we've done. But against Peyton we're virtually trying to get that Wild Card slot.

Look at Indy's division record since 2002 and just think that Manning has 12 other games to add wins on here and there:

2010: 4-2 (10 total wins)
    2009: 6-0 (14 total wins)
    2008: 4-2 (12 total wins)
    2007: 5-1 (13 total wins)
    2006: 3-3 (12 total wins)
    2005: 6-0 (14 total wins)
    2004: 5-1 (12 total wins)
    2003: 5-1 (12 total wins)
    2002: 4-2 (10 total wins)

11. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

I'm not buying it either (yes being in a division with one of the greatest QB's ever makes things harder but oh well) but this wasn't written by a Texans or Jaguars fan so complaining isn't an issue.

12. Ole Miss Texan

LOL, exactly. He gets rid of the ball so fast. Peyton actually gets pressured all the time, he's just good at getting the ball out fast and moving in the pocket.

It reminds me of Matt Schaub getting on the Texans and we witnessed the number of Sacks decrease significantly. It wasn't totally on the OL doing a better job blocking but Schaub being able to get rid of the ball.

dc_txtech likes this.
  13. dc_txtech

dc_txtech Subscribed Contributor

Absolutely. That is the exact example I was thinking of while typing my last post. We were lambasted as having the worst OL in the history of the NFL when the majority of the problem was with HWSNBM.

Ole Miss Texan likes this.
  14. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

I buy it a little simply b/c it limits your options. For the most part, As long as a qb of manning's caliber is in the division you know there's only gonna be 1 way to make the playoffs for the most part...the wildcard & that in & of itself is a lottery simply b/c you don't know what teams in front of you are gonna do; rest starters or play through.