How good could Morency get?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Nighthawk, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Nighthawk

Nighthawk All Pro

I'm just wondering what the sense of Morency's prospects are. He looked OK, or better than OK in the SF game. Does he have a good chance to stick and switch off with Davis at the RB position?

2. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

Id say that its impossible to tell at this point.

1. We havent seen enough of him to know how many carries he can take.

2. Can he catch the ball out of the backfield? ive no idea.

3. Does he have homerun speed? id say no..maybe from 15-20 yards out..but im not sure.

4. Will he ever stop slipping? Until he does..im not even prepared to start him over Wells.

5. How much can be cured with coaching and how much is just the way he is?

All in all.. id say its possible. Just as it is possible that Mathis could become a better receiver than AJ and Wand could become our best lineman.... meaning.. feasible.. but I couldnt firmly place him in one camp or the other. (the "camps" being starter material, and not starter material)

3. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

Grid, I just read one of his scouting reports from before the draft and it says that he ran a 4.67 40. It also says he does not have natural hands to catch the ball with out of the backfield.

4. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

in that case.. id say no.. he will always be a backup.. unless he manages to run the ball as well as DD and acquires some other useful skill.. like pass blocking.

Other than that.. he will always be inferior to DD.

5. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

I am somewhat sceptical when it comes to scouting reports. These are subjective, and often lacking, reports concerning prospect players. It's when people take scouting reports as "truth" that the "facts" that they state becomes hyped, and leads to late round picks becoming great stars, and first round picks flopping.

Scouting reports are just that, reports. They are based on a fairly small amount of observations (3 of five catches = tendency to drop?) and should be regarded just as that. They are indicators, not truth. :)

6. Samer

Samer Veteran

I think he will be a good backup but I don't think he is near good enough to compete with Davis for the starting job.

7. hot pickle

hot pickle Canada Eh

the thing i noticed about him was that he never gave up on trying to get more yards, he would always try to break free and get the extra yards, but i think he is a good back up i dont see him being a starter

8. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

I'd list him in the "shows potential" category.

9. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

He may be fastest 4.67 guy I have seen. He hits the hole pretty darn quick and in college, yes it was not the NFL, he outran guys once he had them shoulder to shoulder.

I find it odd that a 14th round Baseball prospect for outfield would not have good hands. And yes I understand the shapes of a football and baseball are inherently different. ;)

10. HeartofHouston

HeartofHouston Veteran

Morency is a lot better than what people believe that he is.. he is faster than DD and has better juke moves to get away from defenders to pick up extra yards while DD has below average speed, and would perfer to run you over for extra yards rather than juke.

They both are good recievers out the back field.. Morency is just a quicker DD..

11. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

If Kubiak comes to Houston, Morency will be pretty darn good in the offense. You have to think he will be a Bell clone.

12. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

That is funny because I was saying the same thing. I had even forgotten that they both went to OSU.

13. HeartofHouston

HeartofHouston Veteran

and the same way that Bell picked up the offense it should be just like that with Morency..

14. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Come on Kaiser, now you're just fooling with me! :)

15. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I kid, I kid. :)

16. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Getting so confused here!

17. D-ReK

D-ReK RAWWWRR!

He was recovering from a hamstring injury when he ran that 4.67...He hurt it before the combine, so he didn't run there, and he wasn't fully healed when he ran at Miami's pro day...

He shows promise, but I don't know if I like the idea of a Davis/Morency backfield...

18. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

Morency is our fastest RB other than T Hollings who shouldnt even be a Texan next season..

19. Wharton

Wharton Site Contributor

Seems ok to me. Don't really know that much about him. You really can't use the SF game as a measuring stick. I'd say wait until spring training an look at him again.

I will say that I am not too keen on his running style. Morency does that spin thing at the point of contact alot. Its just bad form.

:twocents:

20. GP

GP Go Texans!

With Kubiak in control.....

We'll need all the RBs we can keep. You'll see DD, Wells, and Morency each having lots of carries and in the gameplan a lot more than they were.

Fresh legs is the key. Change of pace is a factor, too.

Notice how when the coaches were fired after the last game of the season, you never saw Kubiak's name mentioned with ANY OTHER TEAM as a potential replacement?

I think the media and the NFL in general knows that Kubiak and Houston are just built for each other.