How did Mario Look today???

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by tburdette, Oct 15, 2006.

1. tburdette

tburdette Rookie

I didn't get to see the game today. How did Mario look? I saw his stat line was a little more impressive than usual but what else besides that did he do?

2. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Mario had a good game today. He was disruptive and influenced plays even when he did not make the tackle.

3. Scooter

Scooter Funky

i thought he played pretty well, but i didnt keep much of an eye on him. he made it into bledsoe's face a couple times and was good at getting into the backfield on many running plays. he's still got a long ways to go, but this might've been his best game.

4. DenverBorn

DenverBorn Veteran

Man you guys are reaching. He played fine if he'd been a FA pick-up. He's not playing anywhere near where he should play given he was the first pick of the draft. Good news is that Detroit, Tampa and Tennessee all won today, moving us back closer to the #1 pick derby.

5. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

reaching how?

6. Dr. Toro

Dr. Toro All Pro

He had a great first quarter.

7. Hulk75

Hulk75 Hall of Fame

Did very well, and played the run like he should.

8. K.D.

K.D. Veteran

Yeah, I would say Mario had a really good game. Came close to getting a sack a couple of times. Play that stood out to me was he chased the RB across the field and made the tackle exactly when the announcers were talking about his speed and he showed tremendous quickness to the ball.

9. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

Didnt give up on any plays, had a tackle 15 yards downfield on a WR. He played a good game. On one play they tried to run right at him and JJ litteraly bounced backward and was stoped for no gain. You can tell he's getting more comfortable, its coming together.

10. DenverBorn

DenverBorn Veteran

wow - the Texans lost 34-6 and the best you can say is "he came close to getting a sack"? Did we watch the same game?

11. AustinJB

AustinJB All Pro

What? If we had signed a veteran FA and he had Mario's stat line today, you're saying you'd be pleased??! From a veteran?

....But since he's a rookie and still learning and progressing, it's not a good game?? This makes absolutely no sense.
    :confused:

You obviously have expectations that are way too high. Yes, he's a #1 pick and I expect him to EVENTUALLY be a force. He had a good game today and he is showing progression. Give the man a break!!:ok:

12. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Evidently not if you thought Mario had a bad game.

13. Dr. Toro

Dr. Toro All Pro

What do you want out of him? He's a Rookie DE playing against a very good and well coached team... I read a Dwight Freeney quote about getting sacks and being a DE, he said something to the effect of "You rush 900 times a season and get maybe 10 sacks". Think about that. I was happy to see his motor running big time today... he wasn't great, he was good. On a team with few bright spots in a brutal game, he looked pretty good. How about a little perspective?

14. Scooter

Scooter Funky

yup, which is all you can really ask from a rookie ... nomatter when he was chosen. what stands out to me, is he's not beating himself anymore. he's not overthinking his role (atleast not nearly as often). his technique and field awareness is still well below where you want it to be, but that's getting better and just takes time.

15. bigbrewster2000

bigbrewster2000 4th Infantry

why are you on this MB BESIDES STIRRING THE POT?

16. Texan1

Texan1 Veteran

Mario made one nice play chasing from the backside. You might be able to credit him with one pass distruption in the second quarter where Bledsoe over threw his target.

Other than that, no significant contribution - certainly lacking any notable achievements.

He still is playing tenative and add little to the overall D (unlike the other rookie Ryans).

That being said, you can't pin this loss on Mario.

17. blockhead83

blockhead83 All Pro

This was one of the few times I got to see a game in person, and I got to take a good look at Mario when he was on my side of the field. He looked really good today. He showed some great speed, strength, quickness, etc. and appeared to be pretty disruptive.

18. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

Mario made an impact in the first half but like the rest of the Texans, were MIA in the 2nd half. Embarassing team effort in the 2nd half highlighted err lowlighted by the play of the anemic secondary...Robinson, Sanders, and PBurnt are laughable. Bledsoe could have had 6 TDs today if he would have been on his game, which he was not.

In closing, Mario is a work in progress and the early returns have been somewhat lacking especially considering Bush has 'helped' turn a 2-14 team into a 5-1 team. Troll me if you want, but Mario's play will always be linked with Bush. Can anyone tell me with a straight face that the Saints would be 5-1 if they drafted Mario instead of Bush? Isn't winning whats all about. Measurables and stopwatches are for strippers and track stars. I feel Bush would have impacted our team more THIS year and I am sick of projects and 5 year plans.....win today worry about tomorrow later..

doug ftw

19. TexMex72

TexMex72 Rookie

"And the Houston Texans with the #1 pick, select
    Adrian Peterson out of the University of Oklahoma."

That's what I hope I hear next Spring.

Mario did pretty good for the 1st half though. We need the whole game
    next time.

20. Texan Ned

Texan Ned Rookie

Mario played better in the first half. he created a few disruptions. too bad the Texans quit in the second half. They had the crackboys moving backwards during the first 2 quarters, and Parcells had a couple of questionable coaching calls. No runnning game is obviously killing us. IMO, the Texans need help at OL, RB, QB, DL, DB. They are probably only 9-10 starters away from having a good starting lineup.