How Did Goodell get His Power Over the NFLPA

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by CloakNNNdagger, Jun 20, 2012.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Convoluted but not apparently entirely unravel-proof.

Interaction between CBA and Goodell’s power more complex than it seems

2. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Something needs to be done to reduce the power of King Roger. His midseason/offseason rule changes, which he can bilaterly make with no questions asked is ruining the game I still love. Although I dont love the game the way I used to before Dictator God'ell started his legalesing of the National Football League.

He says he's protecting the shield, when all he's really doing is protecting profiteering. It will eventually cause fans to stop following football like they used too. This may take a few decades, but it is going to happen. Aikman has agreed with me on this subject.

God how I long for the days of a lawyer that didn't put $$$$ 1st and did what's best for the game. (Thanks Paul Tagliabue) RIP Gene Upshaw, this never would've happened under your watch.

3. majestrate

majestrate All Pro

The first of two things, I don't think anyone can positively say "this isn't how so-and-so would behave if they were in charge". There are too many variables that come into pay that have an effect on how the commish behaves. Most certainly one of those variables is the personality involved, but there are factors beyond that.

Second, what are the rule changes that Roger Goodell implemented that you're referring to?

4. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

The James Harrison rules for Tackling.

WR's can go across the middle without fear of getting snot bubbled.

The no crackback rule. Etc....

God'ell is taking the physicality out of the game. Just like the lawyer he is. I wouldn't be suprised if King Roger has never played a down of football in his life.

BTW, I noticed that no players recently drafted have decided not to play football due to the concussion issues.

The concussion lawsuit is a $$$$ grab by former players and the NFL should just settle the lawsuit and quit ruining the game. God'ell and the league office is doing far more harm to the game than they would by just paying off the Retired players. God'ell is going to end up killing the golden goose.

God'ell is a liar/lawyer it's in his DNA.

5. Blake

Blake MMQB

That, or this...

[​IMG]

6. majestrate

majestrate All Pro

When you open the gates, you're inviting everyone to come in. So the league settles with group 1 of players. After that, group 2 shows up and they want their handout. Then group 3, and 4, and 5, and 6, and, and, and... New players aren't saying "screw this" because they're all about the money during their career, consequences be damned. Then, years after they retire, when the NFLPA screws them out of however much money, the league ends up having to pay for the player's short-sightedness.

No crackbacking, and other rule changes voted on during off-season, were nominated for a vote by the competition committee, it wasn't Roger Goodell, all by himself, making the decision on what to implement and what not to implement.

7. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Disagree

Pay the men and be done with it. They can afford it.

Make all players in the future sign a waiver,

Dont ruin the game.

8. majestrate

majestrate All Pro

I assume you disagree with my argument of the litigious future the NFL would be facing if they settled, and not the second part of the post.

Why should NFL pay? They already payed, retired players were covered in the CBA. The NFLPA screwed the retired players over. The NFLPA should be suffering the lawsuit, not the NFL. But I believe that one got dismissed (don't quote me on that though)

I would imagine that even signing a waiver would still be subject to being voided, if the right lawyer used the right approach to get it voided.

Regarding ruining the game. I don't agree that it is getting ruined. I agree with much of this article:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/tackling-the-issue-in-the-nfl-lh5p210-158997705.html

9. welsh texan

welsh texan Lest we forget

After all the back-slapping and high fiving has ended from the players, we're a year in and I read very little that tells me they got the great deal they thought they had. It doesn't look as if they're getting the money they thought they'd negotiated in their career span, and there are all these other issues coming out of the woodwork that they had hoped to improve on.

That said, in sports where disciplinary decisions are decided by a panel, there are far more bemusing outcomes to hearings, especially in sports where the panel is rotated over the course of a season such as F1, and the decisions are in the hands of different people at each race.

In football you have an unknown panel and the decisions seem very inconsistent.

At least with Goodell he's consistent in what he's doing, so whether they like it or not, its a level playing field.

10. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Didn't read entire article but Goodell has always had the support of the owners of this money making machine and he will not lose it unless he goes stupid. Even the players know you only kick at the golden goose, you do not kill it. The players are their worst enemies and do not police their own. Similar in that to other unions such as teamsters and AirLine Pilots Association in the late 70s and early 80s until Reagan did his thing, the unions get egg on their faces defending bums doing stupid stuff. Once a union loses it's support audience, the fans in this case, it's usually downhill for the union members.

Goodell is usually consistent and patient in setting out discipline and usually does not squawk when fines or supsensions are reduced some.

11. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

WHO RUINED THE NFL PLAYERS UNION?