How depressed where you when...

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by GP, Jan 16, 2007.

1. GP

GP Go Texans!

...you watched the playoff games and realized our team is nowhere NEAR the level of talent, speed, and sheer dominance of ALL the teams we saw play in the playoffs?

I know we beat the Colts and all, that's a good start.

But watching the Colts and Ravens made me realize that our team is sooooooo far behind in the catgories of talent, speed, and sheer dominance.

I could not believe the level of competition that I saw ot there this past two weekends. It was like those teams are in a whole different league than we are.

It actually felt like our team is an NFL Europe team, to be quite honest.

I was just blown away by watching our games all season long....and then watching the playoff games and seeing the utter and complete "night and day" difference.

2. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I really do feel that we are 8 moves/cirumstances away in this particular order to be where there those teams are:
    1- Veteran CB in FA
    2- Draft Adrian Peterson
    3- Spencer has a solid rehab
    4- Address Center - FA, Draft or Weary
    5- Draft an impact FS in rounds 2-3
    6- Sign a new PK and P
    7- TJ and Payne return to serviceable form
    8- Address LB - Will Wali Rainer be back, go FA or draft?

3. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Do you mean to tell me that the Texans' games were the only NFL games that you watched during the season? Not even any of the Sunday or Monday night games?

No, I wasn't blown away.

4. joedinkle

joedinkle Veteran

Maybe my view is skewed, but no where near as depressed when Vince Young...in OT... =(

5. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

lol:yes:

6. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

Yes, we lack in talent, but the NFL has alot of parity. Teams can become very good in a blink of an eye with a couple players. For example, the Rams were 4-12 in the 1998 season. The next year, they found this awesome Qb by mistake and took them to an NFL title. They had several good players but it took one to start the Avalanche. Look at Saints this year. They added Brees, Reggie and Colston, and WALLA!!!! They're pretty good. I'm not saying that this will turn around overnight but at least we don't have to wait a decade.

7. Vinny

98 was the year Tony Banks finally melted down for the last time on his journey to easy money backing up Carr. In 99 they brought in Marshall Faulk and the rest is history.

8. yourfavoritetexan42

yourfavoritetexan42 Veteran

Wasn't impressed in the NFC...I feel if the texans were in the NFC team we would have been in the playoff hunt till the very end.

9. Vinny

yeah right.

10. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

considering our record against the NFC this year..i disagree.

11. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

Marshall was the man, but if you watched that team. it was Warner who stirred the pot. He was so unbelivably accurate. He never missed his targets. Now the secondary had to cover all these awesome recievers and Marshall was left open many times.

12. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I think we could - just maybe - have the potential to be a wildcard team that gets blown out in the playoffs for 2007...if we're lucky and play our cards right. I'm not predicting, though, not at this point....

13. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

Depression is impossible at this point.
    I'll be happy when I'm not numb any more.

Maybe after April we Texan fans will be able to feel a little sensation in our Peterson...

14. t_flare

t_flare Veteran

i'm not depress... just remember 2-14

15. bad

bad Veteran

I wasn't depressed until I read the above and realized again the cold hard truth about where our Texans stand in terms of reasonable expectations.

I will accept nothing less than the Lombardi Trophy and one day our time will come, but first we need to reach the point where we can reasonably expect it to happen, lucky or not.

The first step could come during Free Agency.
    Then the Draft.
    Then the 2007 season and hope for a quick turnaround a la last year's Saints.

Now I'm not depressed anymore.

16. texansfanquecaneh

texansfanquecaneh Rookie

I'm not depressed. Look at Jacksonville last year. 12-4 means nothing when you lose 28-3 & get eliminated right away. Plus they didn't even make the playoffs this year.

17. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I agree. Now all we need to make all those "moves/circimstances" reality is
    Merlin the Magician.

18. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

Nah - I was depressed in the 2005 season, to a point of numbness like our previous coaching staff and GM. 2006 I was optimistic but a realist expecting 8-8 or so.

Watching the playoffs, not depressed - good to see the best of the best make it to the final 4, and not some sub team slip in... and kinda interesting watching some players have a melt down after a loss and others exstatic after a win. Once again optimistic and hopeful the Texans will soon be there and feel we're FINALLY on the right track.

19. Low Life

Low Life Rookie

I don't believe that we lack in talent except for one or two positions. Honestly. Didn't we cut/release Jabar Gaffney and Billy Miller? I think that they proved to be well equipped for the playoffs when given the ball. I'm really surprised that Derrick Armstrong isn't making us look stupid somewhere else as well. Didn't the Seahawks have a secondary consisting of cousins, uncles and grandparents? We are an athletically talented team. No more or less than the next superbowl champion. I think whats his name is our main problem talent wise. Next season will have to be the proving ground so until then...

20. ulsaint

ulsaint Rookie

Your example just shows the Texans are poor evaluators of talent, not that they have stockpiled so much talent they have to release good players.

The Texans can get all the FAs they want but until they get a QB, it doesn't really matter.