How clutch is Schaub?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Maddict5, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

after the game today, i was thinking about how schaub came through at the end of the game against the fins (not single-handedly or anything but you know what i mean)....

which got me thinking about how it was just like in last yrs game when he drove us down the field in the last minute against the fins....

which got me thinking about how it was just like 2 weeks ago against the jags when he drove us to a fg with a minute left..

now schaub has faults i know but i cant remember him letting us down at the end of a game when we NEEDED a score

2. Bull Pen 1

Bull Pen 1 Hall of Fame

Schaub 2 - 0 against the Dolphins

Schaub 3 - 14 against everyone else.

Schaub now actually has more wins than Sage

Sage 4 - 2

Matt 5 - 14

But, hey he got us a win today, good job, let's keep it up

3. WesmanTexanfan

WesmanTexanfan SeNior Smack

I feel like getting the W today the way that schaub did was good for him. He is still learning how to start and win while doing so, If he isnt a connsistent winning quarterback by the end of the season, I will be very suprised.

4. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Schaub has played in 14 games as a Texan.

PapaL and J-Russ like this.
  5. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

lol...priceless

6. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I don't view Schaub as clutch or as a choke artist. He's just a QB that is still trying to learn to be a starter.

7. WesmanTexanfan

WesmanTexanfan SeNior Smack

yep, but I think all good QBs are clutch and he has shown that he can be that, hes just still developing...

8. Nawzer

Nawzer Alienz

Matt Schaub was clutch in the game winning drive. That's all you can ask from any player, to play your best when the game is on the line. He did that today.

9. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

This is sad! Clutch huh??????Sad!!!

10. rollinstone18

rollinstone18 let it bleed

Dude has poise.

11. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Ice runs through that guys veins.

12. J-Russ

J-Russ Hall of Fame

So far he has two critical drives late in two different games, against the Jags and Dolphins. He of course got us in position to tie the game or win it and we did both in each games. How clutch is he you ask? Well, he's the polar opposite of Sage. I'll just leave it at that.

13. Leahmic223

Leahmic223 Hall of Fame

Hopefully he is growing into something special. If he cuts down the INTs Kubes is right, he has all the tools to be a top 5 QB...But Carr had all the tools too...

He's trying to win games for us when we need the drives, and the Defense has definitely stepped up the past few weeks.

14. J-Russ

J-Russ Hall of Fame

No, Carr never had the tool. Poise is included when talking about QB tools and Carr never shown he had that in all 4 or 5 years with the Texans. Sure he had the physical tools, but he wasn't right up in the noggin.

I know Schaub shown some mental errors as well, but I think that can be fixed with better o-line protection. If Matt o-line can keep him from getting smack on every passing play, then he might be able to develop some rhythm and comfortability in the pocket throughout the game, which will lead to better throw and better decision making.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  15. IlliniJen

IlliniJen Hall of Fame

Yeah, but Schaub doesn't let those mental errors run him down and hurt his confidence. Carr would hang his head on the sidelines. Schaub comes out and tries to get the job done. You have to respect him for that.

Brando likes this.
  16. J-Russ

J-Russ Hall of Fame

Yep. I said after the game that after he threw his two ints and knock around by the fins D, he never let it faze his game. He always came back out onto the offense with the same confidence he had at the beginning of the game. Thats what I like about Schaub and that what separates the decent QB from the good one. That's what I have confidence in Schaub to be able to develop into a good QB.

17. utahmark

utahmark markbeth

im not sure why you think the defense has steped up. anytime we need a stop late in the game they dont seem to get it done. they just gave up 28 to the dolphins and not because of the turnovers. none of those turnovers gave miami great field position. in fact if it wasnt for the offense consistantly putting up long drives and keeping the defense off the field who knows how many miami could of scored.

18. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Definitely. Gotta love that.

I agree that it's encouraging, but I do have to admit that seeing the same mistakes over and over again throughout his tenure as a Texan concerns me. Judgment is still a long way off for Schaub, though.

19. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Sage can play the 2nd and 3rd Qtrs.

Schaub can finish.

We don't have a starter. :mcnugget:

20. Hagar

Hagar Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Considering Matt almost lost the game for us on the first few possession, he has a long way to go before I'll call him clutch.