How Can the Houston Texans Maximize Talent of J.J. Watt and Jadeveon Clowney?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Playoffs, May 31, 2014.

1. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

How Can the Houston Texans Maximize Talent of J.J. Watt and Jadeveon Clowney?
    snipped, read the full analysis: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ximize-talent-of-jj-watt-and-jadeveon-clowney

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  2. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

The Seattle Seahawks were the only team on that top 10 with a chance to win the Super Bowl. Prior to 2013, no one thought the Seahawks were going to beat San Francisco... who isn't even on that list.

This, to me, is kinda like the "A short QB can win the Super Bowl" argument.

That list (especially considering Buffalo had four pass rushers with more than 7.5 sacks) says as much.

3. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

I don't see where you are coming from. The whole point of the article is that having these two should give us a really good defense especially against the pass.

4. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

The article is about Watt/Clowney startegies, but...

What won the Super Bowl? The better defense or the best offense? 'Nuff said.

5. PHILLYTEXANFAN

PHILLYTEXANFAN All Pro

The better defense. The "LEGION OF BOOM" , and the others ABUSED I repeat ABUSED the Broncos offense

6. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Does anyone know how often Crennel likes to blitz? I know Wade blitzed a lot but I think our biggest advantage with Clowney/Watt will be to drop more players in coverage.

7. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

He is on the low blitz side of the spectrum.

8. markn

markn Hall of Fame

The best thing the Texans can do to maximize the impact of watt and clowney is to keep them off the field and therefore keep them fresh.

9. PHILLYTEXANFAN

PHILLYTEXANFAN All Pro

Like Cak said low. He's more of a my guy vs guy kinda coach

10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Agreed.

At the same time, the best thing the Texans can do to help it's QB corps, is get the ball back ASAP, & get us a short field.

11. markn

markn Hall of Fame

Touche!

Giant Tiger likes this.
  12. leebigeztx

leebigeztx Hall of Fame

No team will change their line protections until can prove he can beat single blocks. Until then, watt will get doubled.

13. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Even after Clowney earns a double team, Jj will still get doubled. Most offenses can double two guys in a four man rush. Antonio pretty much demanded a double team on every play.

Our problem was that Antonio couldn't beat that double team with the same frequency as Jj & the other guys couldn't beat the man on man protection they faced.

It would be nice if Clowney can demand a double & Nix can demand a double. Then we'll have something like Buffalo where they have four guys with 7.5+ sacks.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  14. V3rm0nt3r

V3rm0nt3r All Pro

I feel like people (not necessarily you) keep forgetting about Mercilus in this equation. I honestly believe that he will benefit the most from the plethora of talent we now have on this defensive front. He's shown the ability already to beat single blocks and he now has a full year of starting under his belt to go along with the year he rode the bench behind Barwin. After Mario's rookie season and then JJ's I feel like it takes at least a year, even for these guys who exude talent, to become dominant at rushing the passer at the next level. Mercilus is definitely in a better position to go for 10+ sacks this year than Clowney IMO.

15. Texan in Japan

Texan in Japan All Pro

I think we're also forgetting about Cushing. I can see him being that 5th guy over Brooks and bringing some havoc against a one-on-one block.

16. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

I dunno, but maybe it's best to go ahead and forget about Cushing and then if he can somehow remain healthy this season he'll be a very pleasant surprise contributor to the defense.

17. powda

powda Hall of Fame

Maybe it's been mentioned upthread or elswhere and I missed it ,but where are they lining up JDC in OTA's? Strong side or weak?

18. LikeMike

LikeMike Hall of Fame

If you double 2 guys you have 6 players locked up in blocking roles - and that does not include anyone picking up a blitz. So it already means you either have a TE or a HB in just for blocking purposes, and if a we get a well designed blitz, that blitzer is basically running free. I don`t think you can regularly double 2 players and I do believe we will regularly have 4 + 1 rushers (with either Mercilus, Cushing or Reed being the other rusher, at times maybe a CB or even a safety like Swearinger, plus there is a good chance Nix will occupy 2 guys as well). Having one player that can beat a double team is nice, having two is a game changer.

If Clowney turns out to be as dominant as a lot of people think he is, and if Watt excells in RCs system as he did in Wades - well then other teams will have trouble.

19. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I believe he's lining up weakside BUT... the press is under strict orders to not talk about lineups and where guys are playing. So no one can tell us where he's lining up.

At least, that's my understanding.

powda likes this.
  20. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

And then on the other hand, people are talking about Brooks Reed lining up in the middle.

So.

:kubepalm: