How about Tony Romo in Houston

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by humblegeo, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Sigma

Sigma Hall of Fame

I was thinking...

if you were dallas, why would you trade romo to the texans?

let's assume it comes down to either denver or houston, and that both teams offers are comparable, why would you send tony off to houston which is much closer, potentially gifting some Romo fans to another franchise, when you can banish him to colorado where less people are likely to follow?

not sure how likely this scenario is, but still...

2. Sigma

Sigma Hall of Fame

there are always other numbers, you know...

[​IMG]

Max likes this.
  3. TexasCowboy

TexasCowboy Straight Talker

So it begins

Hypothetically it wouldn't make any sense to trade Romo to a team that made the Playoffs last year, especially
    when? they aren't going to give you the kind of value you'd want for Romo, which is? A first rd draft pick. so it
    makes more sense trading him to the lowest bidder like a Cleveland or L.A. who might be willing to part ways
    with a high pick

Let's not assume anything, I believe it's crystal clear that should Romo go to Houston
    the influx of former Cowboys fans falling off the wagon, to become die hard Texans fans
    is to much for you to handle. Sadly that is your problem, Since they're free to do what
    ever it is they like

Not likely so stop worrying

4. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

The increase in ticket prices is related more to paying for the overall increases to the salary cap in recent years. Over the last 2 years the salary cap has jumped (increased) over $20 million. Somebody is going to pay for that and it's not going to be the NFL or it's teams.

If the Texas were to sign Romo they would have over $40 million committed to QB in 2017. Just don't see that happening.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  5. paycheck71

paycheck71 Hall of Fame

I think you're confusing the chicken and the egg. The salary cap increases come from overall NFL revenue increase, as it was set up by the CBA. The ticket price increases are just that, price hikes that the team thinks it can get away with.

ObsiWan and CloakNNNdagger like this.
  6. Sigma

Sigma Hall of Fame

lol you sound like romo is your ex boyfriend

sorry to have triggered you

I never even started

7. jradMIT

jradMIT Veteran

You get 60 minutes of football period. The order in which happens matters not in the end. If you mess up late, you had the entire game before to make up for it or vice versa. All that matters are the points on the board at the end of the game, the order of which matters not.

8. Sigma

Sigma Hall of Fame

If this was the case you would see teams call hail marys, go for 2, onside kick, etc.. at all stages of the game. Not only when the time is running out.

Think how kubiak used to sit on a lead running the clock and not even trying to score. If the team was trailing he never did that.

Conditioning of players also changes during the game, some just run out of fuel after a certain number of snaps, which changes how you need to play.

If you ever run a marathon you would be surprised how much your time can improve between doing it alone or with someone that has a slight faster pace than you. This is because the mental component has a huge effect on performance.

There are also studies that show how in sports, athletes wearing red tend to be more agressive just because of the color. Conversely athletes wearing blue tend to be more tactical.

9. jradMIT

jradMIT Veteran

Point taken, but your conflating in game strategy with player contribution assessment. in terms of quantifying a players value, the overall numbers are an order of magnitude more important than the distribution of said events. A QB with a 100 rating and the worst possible timing will still beat out a Qb with a 90 and the best possible timing.

It would be hard to even define what the best timing would be. As stated earlier it would better to throw a pick early, to have time to make up for it. However the flip side of this is the other adjustments by the other team makes on both sides, when your down, the other teams play conservative limiting the probability of making big plays by the opposing side on offense or defense, hence negating any advantage a team gains by knowing it's down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  10. DX-TEX

DX-TEX #TomSavageDontCare

He wont come here because we are not "contenders"

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/new...tvdzc0l?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

That leaves the Chiefs as the best team with reported interest in trading for Romo. If other QB-needy clubs such as the Bills, Browns, Bears, Texans, Jets and 49ers wanted to trade for Romo, they would not fit his "contender" criteria.

I dont get where the Texans are not contenders and this supposed "criteria" comes from

thunderkyss likes this.

11. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

I agree, but honestly I don't see how we could get Romo. We have to much money to pay Oz whether we keep him or not, and I don't think that would leave enough for what Romo will want or can get from other teams where he has a chance to contend still. Honestly the only situation where I think we'd be able to get a quality guy from another team is Jimmy G, because of his salary being on the rookie scale until next year, but he won't really be an option for us any way. I think the Texans will likely just draft a guy in the 2nd round or 3rd round. They might even draft a Qb in both.

12. TexasCowboy

TexasCowboy Straight Talker

You didn't trigger anything

13. Bulls on Parade

Bulls on Parade James Harden MVP!

The Texans went to Foxborough in the divisional round and gave Tom Brady and the Patriots all they could handle for three quarters. It was a 24-16, one score game early in the fourth quarter. Should have been 17-16 at that point but our special teams let us down on a long kick return for a TD that the Pats had in the first half. Things fell apart in the fourth quarter (the Pats added 10 more points to reach 34), obviously, but we hung around for a lot longer than most people thought.

We didn't have our best player in J.J. Watt, who will be ready to go in 2017, and that was with Brock Osweiler running the show at quarterback. How are the Houston Texans not contenders? I believe we're easily right there with the Patriots, Steelers, Chiefs (any team in the AFC) with superstar J.J. Watt (3x defensive player of the year) back and dominating like his old self, and a better quarterback like Tony Romo.

We're very much contenders, IMO.

Heck, we nearly shocked the world this past year with the team we had. We just couldn't finish the deal in that fourth quarter at Foxborough. It didn't help that Will Fuller drops a beautifully thrown "Touchdown pass" by Osweiler. If he holds on it's a TD and that game is very much ours to take going into the fourth quarter. There were plenty of moments we could have changed the momentum and taken control of that game but our offense didn't make the big plays they needed to.

Anybody who says the Texans aren't a contender don't know football. We need better quarterback play, sure. But we have J.J. Watt coming back and we have all off-season to improve our quarterback situation. We also need Will Fuller to improve his damn hands!

But we're as good as most teams in the AFC, IMO.
    We're very much a contender. It makes me mad if anybody says differently.

Texansphan likes this.
  14. Bulls on Parade

Tony Romo's best chance to win a Super Bowl as a starting quarterback would be with the Houston Texans. If he or his agent don't realize that then please just retire because you ain't going to win a ring starting with any other team.

Maybe the Broncos but even that's a long shot. The Chiefs and Raiders are really good. That's a tough division. Their overall defensive talent isn't what it was last year when they won the Super Bowl with an aging Peyton Manning. They lost too many free agents. And their run game is weak and they have O-Line issues. Much worse than ours.

15. Texansphan

Texansphan Veteran

We
    We also get Kevin Johnson and Nick Martin back and will no doubt improve our oline and I fully expect last seasons rookies to take a step forward.
    Even if our qb situation improves only marginally we will still definitely be a playoff team even if our division gets tougher.

16. Bulls on Parade

I agree. We may make a Super Bowl run next year if we simply get some key players back healthy, especially J.J. Watt, and we can improve a couple other spots in the draft. And that's with Brock Osweiler starting at quarterback. Imagine if we do bring in a proven quarterback this off-season? Our Super Bowl odds would increase even more. Either way we're already a playoff team.

17. Texansphan

Texansphan Veteran

I know everyone is down on Brock as am but he too will be better for having a season under his belt in this system.
    His inaccuracy issues will be better if he can learn to throw the ball in the window where he is not under pressure - it is a fine line between waiting and looking for receivers and holding on to the ball too long and Bill is a smart man and will figure out plays to fit Brock in case he is the starter.
    We only need him to be 15-20% better to have a working offense and that is very possible.

thunderkyss likes this.
  18. DX-TEX

DX-TEX #TomSavageDontCare

I firmly am not on the "get Romo" train. I just found that comment interesting and wonder if it is from Romo's camp or the writer of the article. Either way it is a dumb take.

The one thing about Jimmy that most seem to overlook: if he is good and has potential why in the hell would Belichik give him to Houston? He just watched them get under Brady's skin in the playoffs and with an even competent QB they possibly win that game in Foxborough.

Like it or not, agree with it or not the Texans are the biggest threat right now in the AFC to the Pats if they can get just "good" QB play

ObsiWan and JB like this.
  19. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Good post DX-Tex. Your thinking is right there along with mine, and that's why I've said that its not point to really debate Jimmy here in Houston anymore, because like you I don't think that Bill would trade Jimmy here. Your logic here is sound, and I wouldn't do that either if I were him, because if Jimmy busts out then Houston could become a real threat to NE this year or next. Hell, I'd take less and trade Jimmy somewhere else if I were BB. I think the Pats will have plenty of options. Their best bet will be do get strong value from Cleveland, Chicago, or Frisco. It would become counter productive to trade him to Houston, Denver, or a place like Minnesota who just needs a strong QB to be SB bound.

20. Norg

Norg -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Romo would get lost in Billy's system

Let's bring back Fitz and Mallett to back up Brock and let's roll with thoes 3 Imo