How about this?

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by cptnbreakdance, Dec 27, 2006.

1. cptnbreakdance

cptnbreakdance Veteran

I wouldn't mind if they decide to trade down and pick Jamarcus Russel, and with that extra pick, trade back up into the late first and pick Ted Ginn Jr. Think about it, a Daunte Cullpepper clone, with Andre Johnson essentially used as the possession receiver (albeit one that can break just about any tackle from any defencive back in the game), and Ginn as the breakaway deep threat that can burn just about anyone.

2. WildBlackBear32

WildBlackBear32 All Pro

Big Russell fan but getting Ginn would be pointless. AJ has Ginn's speed with much better hands and size. To use AJ as a possesion reciever would be a serious misuse of his skill set. I'd rather see us keep AJ as the burner and draft Jeff Samardzjia as the possesion guy.

3. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

they're both top 10 picks, so trading down will probably cost you a chance at russell, then trading up will be too late for ginn. so you'd wind up missing out on both.

4. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

Oakland and Cleveland are the two teams ahead of us that need a QB. Detroit will probably take Joe Thomas with their pick. Russell and possibly Quinn will be gone by the time the Texans pick.

If the Texans pick 5th, I think LaRon Landry will be there and he will be our man.

5. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

oakland will never take a QB in the first round. detroit takes quinn. cleveland takes peterson. landry's value is nowhere near the 5th pick right now.

6. gwallaia

I keep hearing that Oakland will not take a QB with their first pick considering their history of rarely doing so. But for God's sake, they have Aaron Brooks!

7. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

One of my good friends is from New Orleans and is a huge saints fan. Last year he was at a "meet the saints" thing and met aaron brooks. My friend shook his hand and said "wow, you have really big hands!" (because the were abnormally large) and Brooks just looked down at both his hands for a while and responded "wow...i do have big hands."

He was being completly serious and was actually in awe over his hands. It was the funniest thing I had ever heard.... Drew Brees has really turned them around.

8. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

yeah, and they'll probably replace him with another vet. plummer, leftwich, etc.

9. ATX

ATX Hall of Fame

Oakland could have had Leinart or Cutler last year and passed on both.

10. BigWig

BigWig Bigimus Wigimus

Thay passed on VY too!

11. gwallaia

I think the Texans will beat the Browns Sunday and finish 6-10. If the Texans pick 9th, I think Russell wll be gone. SO if we pick 9th, could it be assumed that Cleveland, Minnesota and/or Washington would look at Russell?

12. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

It's early and this list will change but Scouts, Inc. ESPN Insiders has Landry ranked as the # 10 player on the board. Scouts, Inc has always been pretty good ranking players and their draft positions.

13. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

yeah but it's Crazy Al. For All I know he's waiting for kubes to cut DC. Al loves a good deal.

14. threetoedpete

threetoedpete Hall of Fame

Agreed: I feel a lot more comfortable taking Leron with a nine than the four that's for sure.

15. Sarg01

Sarg01 Hall of Fame

I wouldn't really disagree with them. Taking the #10 player at #5 isn't getting value for your pick. It's roughly equivalent to throwing away a mid-second rounder. If the #10 guy is your only target, then you trade back - even if you don't get full value, you get something.

Taking him at #9, however, is fine.

16. AustinJB

AustinJB All Pro

No, IIRC, they passed on Leinart and Cutler. VY was taken at pick #3, Oakland had pick #7.

17. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

AJ's biggest weakness is his lack of concentration and inability at times to actually catch the ball. He was a track star at Miami and has sub 4.4 speed with his size. It is why he is a freak and an all around stud. It is why it took 4 years or so for another AJ to come along in CJ. They are rare.

Ginn is a joke of a 1st round pick. He is undersized, and can't outrun Mathis. Mathis cost us a 4th rounder, Ginn will be a top 20. That is a huge difference, especially if we already have Mathis and AJ can more than hold his own in a foot race. Mathis = Ginn. Ginn has major questions about route running and hands, just like Mathis. I just don't see the point in trading up for a more glorified, DI Mathis.

18. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

Cutler is a joke for a QB. I still can not stand the guy. I liked Vince and Lienhart, but can't stand Cutler. He is so overhyped and sucks beyone belief.

19. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

What football are you watching? the guy is very good. Has a rocket for an arm and plays smart. I watched the whole bengals bronco game. I think the Broncos are ecstatic that they got him.

20. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

He had a great long pass two weeks ago.