How about Michael Turner for the Texans?

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by SBTexans08, Nov 1, 2006.

1. SBTexans08

SBTexans08 All Pro

Hypothetically, say we have a shot at Adrian Peterson in the draft....but Michael Turner (F.A. this season) wants out (with good reason) of S.D. The Texans call him in....we see eye to eye...

Would you prefer Adrian Peterson or a Micahel Turner?

Personally...I'd like a Michael Turner. How about you?

2. V Man

V Man Pumpkinhead

The question is what do we have to give up?

Turner is a RFA.

1st round pick: No way
    2nd round pick: Have to think about it.
    3rd round pick: Same as above/ but probably yes
    4th or lower: Yes

3. Huge

Huge Hall of Fame

Pet peeve:

..."a" Michael Turner? What is "a" Michael Turner?

But yeah, he'd be a nice fit...for the right price. Nothing higher than a 3rd rounder.

4. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

:redtowel: Sorry, I had to do it!!!

5. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

I choose Wali Lundy.

For Now.

6. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Wouldn't use our first round pick on a running back in the next draft after seeing how Wali has been performing. If anything we need to use it on the best OL available at our pick or a ballhawking FS in the Ed Reed mold. Although I dont know how good the draft is in the FS department this upcoming year.

7. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

No way. No to both of those guys. Spend money on the line and the team will be much better. Spend first day picks where we need them, tackles, a FS, and a CB. QB, RB, and BPA with second day picks.

8. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

Nah, if wali gets atleast 90 yards against the Gianta, then we should keep him and instead get a FS or CB.

9. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

We should start chanting Wali Wali Wali at home games that would be awesome.

10. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

No, too much to give up. We keep the running backs we have unless we want to trade Gado or Dayne. We can obviously get a back in the draft this year, we can get one late(Lundy 6th).

I agree. First round we need a skill defensive player (S, CB, LB) or a lineman on offense, preferably a tackle. We could use a first round guard but at this point we need a tackle more. I think Winston is going to end up being a swing tackle for a few years so we need to draft another tackle or two in the next draft as well. I bet somehow we deal for another 3rd round pick in this draft and do something similiar to last year. We need to draft ALOT of players to fit this new style we have acquired.

I think we need to draft defense with our first round this year because in our division we have to have a good defense, and I think if we draft defense now we can easily have the best defense in the division, and a young one at that. If we drafted defense with our first two picks this year, i think it would be a great move (assuming they play the role we draft them to). We would have to draft lineman with our 3rd or 4th pick. But like I said, we should definantly, at the end of the season, think about dealing players that we don't want to get a 3rd or 4th round draft pick.

11. painekiller

painekiller Hall of Fame

My understanding is the team that hold the rites get a draft pick back equal to the round the player was selected. Turner was selected in the 5th round, and maybe worth that and a big time deal. But I do not see the Kubiak run team spending huge money on a FA RB, a LB or a CB yes.

12. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

There are 4 possibilities with an RFA. (1) don't make a qualifying offer to him and he becomes an UFA and the team gets no compensation, (2) make a low tender--if the player gets an offer from another team the current team can match or refuse, if they refuse they get a pick in the same round as the original pick, (3) make a mid tender--refuse to match and get a 1st round pick or (4) make a high tender--refuse to match and get 1st and 3rd round picks. Particularly in the case of high tenders, players and other teams will agree on a contract but not sign it and then go to the current team and negotiate something less than a 1st and 3rd. If it was just an issue of a 5th round pick, we and 9 other teams would be lined up to pay the price.

13. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

And Turner will very likely get AT LEAST the mid-tender and would cost a 1st. Good player IMO, but I doubt he is worth our high #1 and certainly not worth that and our 3rd. About the only thing that might help out is that Turner supposidly wants out of San Diego, so maybe a lesser deal could be worked out. Our second will be pretty close to a 1st round value and might do it. Still not sure I would do it, but I would at least look at that one.

14. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

Trade a 3rd and Ron Fat Dayne, or some other player. Maybe a 3rd and 4th plus Dayne.

15. canadiantexan

canadiantexan Veteran

Too many other holes to take a running back in the first or give up a first rounder for one. Especially if lundy continues to carry the rock like he has the last two weeks.
    I think their are some other good backs in the second, third and fourth round who would fit our system and could potenially thirve in it.
    What do you guys think of someone like Hart from Michigan, He could be a real steal if we get him in the right round. He has good speed, great vision and even though he is considered small he runs with power. Just curious what round would you guys consider taking him.

16. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

still tryin to figure out why this thread is in the college/draft forum. ;)

17. canadiantexan

canadiantexan Veteran

I guess because it's about the college draft. LOL

18. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I think Mike Hart is great.

He is probably gonna stay his senior season tho if Peterson & Lynch come out early.

Some scouts think he is too small but then again, they said Reggie Bush wasnt too small...

19. canadiantexan

canadiantexan Veteran

Yeah I think he will stay in school also but I'd love to have him

20. Roughnecks

Roughnecks Veteran

I would like to see how Lundy plays out if he keeps doning that thing he be doing than no to both. If I had to choose it would be AP one he runs like Earl C. "the Houston back" and plus he is from Houston as well. I can see him making his own lanes to run through and maybe Lane from A&M in the late rounds for the goal line he would be a upgrade coming out of college over where Dayne is now. I'm not saying 4th round maybe 6th or 7th if the Steelers did not pick him up because he looks like the bus.