How about Amobi!!

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Ole Miss Texan, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Now I was really excited when we drafted him, the potential he has to be a dominating DT is awesome. However, most of us are willing to give him time to develop, not just because of his age, but because the position takes time to get used to in the NFL.

But seriously! 2 Sacks at Carolina. 1 already today...He is really getting in the background and causing some hurries. I think he got a TFL too?

This guy has really surprised me at how quickly he is playing well. I think a lot of it is that our whole DL is better and playing with a passion. that helps

:d:

2. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke Hall of Fame

DROY? Amobi's looking good.

3. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

Yeah, Amobi is looking really good.

4. Bulluck53

Bulluck53 All Pro

Patrick Willis will take DROY. Amobi is having a nice little streak, though.

5. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

Willis will need about 110-130 tackles. Amobi will need about 10-14 sacks. If both get there, Amobi will win since the NFL likes the sack more than the tackle.

6. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke Hall of Fame

Just think that Amobi should be playing for Louisville as a sophomore this year. He's going to be a beast when he's a senior!

7. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Given the history of the DROY, linebackers tend to win it more than defensive tackles. There are actually very few defensive tackles who have won it because of the nature of the position, and that it tends not to be statastic even though it is crucial to the game.

The Texans have been stout against the run, and he has been a part of that.

8. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Willis had 5 tackles today 2 where assisted, not all that out there & plenty of football left to play (last years DROY- DeMeco Ryans 10/3).

9. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

Amobi is big for the Texans, no matter how you cut it. Whether he wins DROY or not isn't as important to me as the impact he is having on the line. And to think that he's just 20!

10. Allstar

Allstar Bona fide

All of his sacks have come on 3rd downs and have killed the opponents drives. He comes up big when we need him the most!!!

painekiller likes this.
  11. jaybird

jaybird Veteran

Dude looked good today... and with Williams you're going to only be able to double one of them!

And the thing I love about him is how young he is but he's wicked smart.

I never realized just how big his arms are today. Saw him running off and his arms are the size of my legs! Kid's a beast.

12. rickyb

rickyb Scarlet is hot.

Yup. I was saying the same thing soon after the draft. This synergistic effect is raising the quality of Mario's edge rush, as well as Amobi's push in the middle.

There are only so many double teams to go 'round.

All that cizashe in our d-line is paying off.

13. smitty46953

smitty46953 Rookie

Amobi Okoye was a fantastic pick ...I wish we could have had him. This young man will be a asset to both the Texans and your community... :cool:

14. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

Amobi's Jersey is in the Mail. I'm gonna wear it proudly. Sounds like he's a great kid overall.

15. painekiller

painekiller Hall of Fame

Huge point!

16. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

You know how at the draft people expressed concern that Okoye's own coach Bobby Petrino didn't draft him? I heard on the radio the other day that apparently the reason was that Petrino thought he was 'immature'. If that's the real reason, Petrino's not very smart. How mature do you think a 19 year old kid is going to be? Of course he'd be a little immature - but his upside FAR outweighs any concerns... I mean it's not like he was having trouble with the law or anything. THAT's the kind of stuff I'd be worried about - not about some typical immaturity that a 19 year old might exhibit.

I freakin' LOVE Amobi, and I love the pick. He was advertised as great against the pass, and not so great against the rush. Yet - he's great against both! He's gonna be a monster for years.

17. BSofA04

BSofA04 Hall of Fame

Hum, sounds like a crappy "distraction" excuse to the real reason. Amobi wasn't picked by Atlanta because they already have a Pro Bowl 3 technique Defensive lineman in Rod Coleman. They lost Patrick Kearney in the offesason to Seattle, so they tried to go young in DE Jamaal Anderson (my personal choice for the Texans). But here's the catch, after they drafted Anderson, Coleman got hurt. In reality this didn't make much of a difference since they probably would have still drafted Anderson, but it just adds to the atrocious offseason for the Falcons. Saying Amobi is immature seems like a cop-out to me. Petrino should actually kiss his rear, considering how bad Louisville's defense is now without him. Okoye kept the defense respectable.

18. Bohunk

Bohunk Rookie

He is definitely a disruptive force on the line!

And, if you might recall, ESPN called it our worst pick of the draft!

:stooges:

19. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

Also depends on how many sacks, FF, and Int Willis gets.

20. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

Well yeah. LBs tends to get a plethora of tackles while DEs tend to rack up the sack category. I was just trying to give an approximate goal that each would need to attain to be in the running.