Houston's biggest offseason mistake

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Brisco_County, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

We could've gotten this guy for cheap. The acquisition would've gone beyond simply addressing position needs, and the contract would've been low risk for the front office.

I really don't get it. Some guys have very real character issues, and some were just people who needed a reason to grow up. Plaxico is a guy who found his reason, and a simple interview would've made it obvious.

But we went with vetting UDFA's who wouldn't be productive for two years at best.

Link

Yeah, many other teams passed too, but we understood our own needs enough to where this should have been obvious.

And screw the Jets.

2. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

He wouldn't even workout for teams. Was a risk and I'm not mad they didn't sign him.

3. Brisco_County

He expressed unsolicited interest in the Texans.

4. sandman

sandman All Pro

He expressed unsolicited interest in signing a contract and thought the Texans to be one of the paths of least resistance. It had nothing to do with wanting to play for Kubes or alongside AJ or anything else.

5. Naiirb

Naiirb All Pro

I think he would of definitely taken the Texans serious if they showed interest. I remember him being on NFL Network and when asked about possibly playing in Houston his eyes lit up talking about playing in this offense and lining up across AJ.

6. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Our biggest offseason mistake was not signing Plax? Not sure about that. We don't even know if we could have signed him or if we were interested, how much it would take.

Aaron Schobel said he wanted to play here too....

7. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

Biggest offseason mistake?

:thinking:

Letting Nolan Ryan go to the Rangers?

8. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Never been a fan of Plaxico and no reason. I rthink biggest failure was not trading for Asante Samuel to give DBs solid vets and allow younger guys to develop.

9. Brisco_County

What would we have traded?

I concede.

10. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Reportedly, Eagles let it be known they wanted a 2nd round next two drafts. I'd jump on that. Not only would that push us deepr into playoffs but would radically impact our next draft imo. Now if one of our younger guys step up and take over CB2 we will be in even better shap & that is probably mind set of Kubes & Phillips. I hope they are correct.

11. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Signed,

The firing of Bum and Earl

DocBar likes this.
  12. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

I thought about Bum, but for some reason I thought I couldn't remember if he was fired during season or not.

13. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Easily, resigning JJ is a bigger mistake than not signing Plaxico Burress. Or resigning David Anderson when clearly anybody can be as effective as him.

14. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Not that I had a problem with the idea of Plaxico coming here, but if this is the Texans biggest off season mistake, I can live with that.

15. BattleRedToro

BattleRedToro Thread Killer

I agree he was low risk. I think he could have been a real fan favorite in Texas. He got in trouble over guns and most Texans like guns.

16. GP

GP Go Texans!

My problem with the guy is how he threw Coughlin under the bus just a few weeks ago. Plaxico is just out of jail and he wants to throw barbs at Coughlin?

I lump those sorts of people all together in my "Shit Head" bucket. You stir up the bucket, pour it out and you've got a bunch of shit mixed together. I'll add David Carr, Dunta Robinson (who ironically threw David Carr under the bus), and others like them who can't wait to run to the media and cry about how mistreated they were with their former team(s).

That's a sign that the guy will fold like a lawn chair and duck and run for cover when the heat is too hot in the kitchen. It's always "somebody else's fault" as to why they couldn't succeed somewhere. I suppose Vernon Gholston is in that same boat, if we get right down to it.

17. Brisco_County

Agreed that he didn't act classy when airing the dirty laundry, but that doesn't negate the upside. And if the guy has reliability issues, he went all the way to the Superbowl before they surfaced.

It all comes down to how badly we want to win. If we want it, we would've paid the marginally low contract and risked the possibility of a little BS for a #2 WR who's 6'5, around 225lbs, can block, and run routes.

Yeah, it was our biggest offseason mistake.

18. leebigeztx

leebigeztx Hall of Fame

To me, I think of 2 guys that could've made this team a sb contender, abreya franklin and randy moss/ braylon edwards. This isn't anything new with me because I see real limitations into what they do both offensively and defensively. Franklin is the nt with quickness who can also stop the run. He's much beeter in every facet in comparison to cody and mithcell. Neither of those guys have even been average this season. Offensively, the texans have johnson and a bunch of solid guys. If they get into the playoffs, teams will double dre and make someone else beat them. We know the run game is strong, but if they moss or edwards, now you could never add a 8 guy in the box or roll to aj.

19. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Man I love to play the woulda coulda shoulda game.

But first, this team hasn't really made any indication that getting another WR was anywhere near a top priority. I know as fans, once we hear that "Player X" is available, we immediately think, "What would be the best case scenario if we had this guy on our team?"

But obviously the FO doesn't think that way. I don't know why, you'd think with the defense heavy drafts we've had, any opportunity you get for a blue chip at a discount you'd take a looksee....

Secondly, Remember what happened when Rick Smith went after Nnamdi? Rick Smith got bigDkd by the Jets wallet book & apparently vowed never to tread in the deep end of the pool again.

20. jaayteetx

jaayteetx Hall of Fame

Thats not exactly true, first Nnamdi signed with the Eagles not the Jets and Rick learned his lesson from the previous year when Bodden was playing us for more money, thats why he went after Joseph.