Houston won't take Branch

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by MATRIX, Mar 25, 2007.

1. MATRIX

MATRIX Veteran

I was looking around, and found 6 very interesting reports on Branch from his pro day. Looks like the 1st RD lock may have earned himself a spot in RD 2 unless a team feels they can fix the issues that came up.

Here is what I found in 1 report(note, on all updated draft projections...he isn't in the top 20 in the ones I looked at), so here is one scouts assesment on Branch and how he hurt his draft status badly.

I can go try to locate the source if you need it. but, honestly the results are about the same all over the net.

Think Houston should still consider him?

2. Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry Veteran

Yea if hes still there in the 6th or 7th round why not. Sorry never be a fan of Branch and I get to watch more Mich. games than A&M games because of where I live.

3. MATRIX

MATRIX Veteran

I doubt hehas slipped that far, but they are saying on some sites...mid 2nd.

4. shanden

shanden Rookie

If he is there later in the draft then he is worth a chance. I would not spend a 1st round pick on him.

5. Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry

Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry Veteran

sorry forgot to add the sarcasm smiliey I know he wont drop that far.

6. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

6th or 7th lmao

Texans Horror likes this.
  7. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

No, but thank god Casserly's not still here or we'd be trading up to get him.

freedoggy77 likes this.
  8. freedoggy77

freedoggy77 Veteran

true that man

9. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

We already have 1 lazy first round DT on our team...

10. Navy_Chris

Navy_Chris All Pro

Okoye wouldn't be a lazy one. We should take him if we don't decide to move down.

11. HuttoKarl

HuttoKarl Hall of Fame

If we take a troubled DT, it should be the Thomas guy that got booted from Florida.

12. Navy_Chris

Navy_Chris All Pro

yeah, Thomas is good.

13. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Hall of Fame

I'd still consider him at #10 & so will the scouts that are saying these things. His body of work at Michigan speaks for itself. Just because he had a bad workout, doesn't change that. He's big, strong, fast, & will be a disruptive force in the middle. He'd be the final piece on our DL & would definitely collapse the pocket on a regular basis. Although, I'd prefer Okoye over Branch, just because of his upside & pure quickness. Great, here I go drooling again. :drool: :D

Texans Horror likes this.
  14. whiskeyrbl

whiskeyrbl Guest

lol

15. BattleRedGuy

BattleRedGuy Rookie

What does this really mean? Overall, the Big 10 has been way down the past couple of years, IMHO. He looks good against less than steller competition.

I think the same thing about Leon Hall and feel it would be a reach for us to take him at #10.

16. SAMURAITEXAN

SAMURAITEXAN Subscribed Contributor

I was high on Branch at one point but, after poor showing at combine kinda Disappointed me. Guy had chance to be high 1st rd draft choice(top 10) and did not show up in good shape. Now, that tell you what kind of a player he would be in the NFL. So, no Branch thanks.

17. MATRIX

MATRIX Veteran

As is stated elsewhere in this thread, the Big 10(and I am a Michigan fan) has been on the down side lately. Look at the BS(BCS), Michigan was 2 and Ohio State 1...OS beat UoM pretty easy...then got toasted aginst Florida.

Saying his ability at UoM should earn him a 1st RD spot is a stretch. I would think while some may look at him in the 1st...he won't go till the 2nd when teams know he could be good, but don'thave to fork over a huge deal to get him...just incase the combine and now this are a true reflection of his work ethic. If it is, he will never be great or live up to his ability in the NFL.

18. Maddict5

Maddict5 Hall of Fame

well he obviously doesnt think it was that bad..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft07/news/story?id=2810691

19. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

good read there, maddict.

20. yourfavoritetexan42

yourfavoritetexan42 Veteran

You have to become reasonable when looking at the combine results. Just becuase someone turns in bad times in lifts doesn't mean they are lazy and haven't been doing anything. A personal example:

Past summer I had been training so much on my speed etc., on test out day, I ran a 4.8 and I could tell the coaches thought I hadn't been training or anything, so the next day I had the time me again, I ran a 4.52.

The first time had nothing to do with me not training hard enough, it was just a bad day. Their can always be a misconception if someone doesn't show up to the combine and just tear everything up. Look at demeco ryans, if he had better combine numbers, he wouldn't have been in a texans jersey.