Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Houston Texans: Unanimous #1 in NFL.com Power Rankings

It's nice, but it doesn't help us against the Titans this weekend. It won't buy us any points with those stupid blind unbelievably dumb replacement refs. If we beat the Titans this Sunday like we should, those horrid ESPN announcers will be insufferable duing our Monday night game.

You keep saying things like this. It's not like the Texans are going to line up one day & whip out their power ranking to scare the other team.

Everything has a place & a purpose. The Power rankings are to generate conversation & they've always done this. That's what we are doing now.

It's like Wrestling. It's not real, but it is real entertaining (to some).

You keep saying things like this. It's not like the Texans are going to line up one day & whip out their power ranking to scare the other team.

Everything has a place & a purpose. The Power rankings are to generate conversation & they've always done this. That's what we are doing now.

It's like Wrestling. It's not real, but it is real entertaining (to some).

The bolded part I agree with. I said before it's nice to be thought of so highly, and it sure is different for us. I like seeing the Texans rated number 1 in the league, it means for once we are getting national respect.

But respect means nothing, only wins. What's REALLY nice is to have respect and wins both.

I'd like to point out that the Falcons played the Broncos IN ATLANTA and beat them by 6 points. We played the Broncos in Denver and beat them by 6 points.

Not that it means anything because there are too many variables at play and too many random chance things BUT if you're going to compare two teams that haven't played each other, you might as well look at common opponents as your measuring stick.

while this comparison makes :headhurts:
I think I know where you're going.

Personally, I would put the Cards at #1, the Falcons at #2a and us at #2b. I'd put the Cards at #1 because, as Playoffs kinda hinted at, the team on top of the rankings has lost the subsequent week. So I'm good with us staying at #2. ...all season long...
:D

while this comparison makes :headhurts:
I think I know where you're going.

Personally, I would put the Cards at #1, the Falcons at #2a and us at #2b. I'd put the Cards at #1 because, as Playoffs kinda hinted at, the team on top of the rankings has lost the subsequent week. So I'm good with us staying at #2. ...all season long...
:D

I think we put too much of a focus on wins. I know that's what it's all about, but the best team doesn't always win. Seattle is not a better team than Green Bay. Minnesota is not a better team than San Francisco.

Just because Atlanta, Arizona, & Houston are undefeated, they are not the three best teams in football.

Baltimore, Houston, & San Francisco are the three best teams right now, imo, not necessarily in that order. Next week when Houston is 4-0, Baltimore, San Francisco, Atlanta, & Arizona are 3-1 I think more people will see it that way as well.

Ω

I think we put too much of a focus on wins. I know that's what it's all about, but the best team doesn't always win. Seattle is not a better team than Green Bay. Minnesota is not a better team than San Francisco.

Ω

Still going with this theme, I know a lot of people don't put much stock in power rankings at all. However, we all have an idea of who the best teams are & who the worst teams are.

If we were to wipe the slate clean, right now, the best teams in the league are

1) Denver Broncos
2) Green Bay Packers
3) New England Patriots
4) New Orleans Saints
5) Houston Texans
6) Atlanta Falcons
7) San Francisco 49ers
8) Baltimore Ravens
9) Tampa Bay Buccaneers
10) Minnesota Vikings/Indianapolis Colts/Seattle Seahawks

From what I'm seeing right now, the Bears won't make the play-offs. The Stealers won't make the play-offs. The Colts & Cincinnati will win the Wild-Cards in the AFC. The Saints & Tampa Bay will win the Wild-Cards in the NFC.

Hopefully the Broncos will see the Patriots in the play-offs before they see us. That way we'll only have to play one of them. I don't think we'll be able to beat both (just like I don't think the Broncos will survive both the Patriots & us, & the Patriots won't survive seeing Broncos & Us)

That's just the way I see it.

Still going with this theme, I know a lot of people don't put much stock in power rankings at all. However, we all have an idea of who the best teams are & who the worst teams are.

1) Denver Broncos
2) Green Bay Packers
3) New England Patriots
4) New Orleans Saints
5) Houston Texans
6) Atlanta Falcons
7) San Francisco 49ers
8) Baltimore Ravens
9) Tampa Bay Buccaneers

From what I'm seeing right now, the Bears won't make the play-offs. The Stealers won't make the play-offs. The Colts & Cincinnati will win the Wild-Cards in the AFC. The Saints & Tampa Bay will win the Wild-Cards in the NFC.

Hopefully the Broncos will see the Patriots in the play-offs before they see us. That way we'll only have to play one of them. I don't think we'll be able to beat both (just like I don't think the Broncos will survive both the Patriots & us, & the Patriots won't survive seeing Broncos & Us)

The Patriots look much better than the Broncos, IMO. That's not even taking into account the spanking Brady gave them. Also, New Orleans' defense is still terrible, I don't think they are better than any top team.

If the Texans defense doesn't get healthy soon, we won't be going to the super bowl. We can't survive the playoffs sending out 3rd string LBs.

If the Texans defense doesn't get healthy soon, we won't be going to the super bowl. We can't survive the playoffs sending out 3rd string LBs.

I said the very same thing to a friend of mine just a couple of days ago. Can't keep giving up over 30 points to weak opponents and expect to be able to beat the best teams in the playoffs.

I said the very same thing to a friend of mine just a couple of days ago. Can't keep giving up over 30 points to weak opponents and expect to be able to beat the best teams in the playoffs.

Detroit has a pretty good QB and Calvin Johnson, so I'm not overly shocked at that. But Jacksonville did shock me.

Agree. The defense looks more vulnerable every week, and Watt looks more containable (though not totally) with double teams on him.

1) Denver Broncos
2) Green Bay Packers
3) New England Patriots
4) New Orleans Saints
5) Houston Texans
6) Atlanta Falcons
7) San Francisco 49ers
8) Baltimore Ravens
9) Tampa Bay Buccaneers

That's a reasonable list. However, who knows what that list will look like in a month... Also, the Texans, because of how well they played early, will have the advantage of home field, a week off, and the option of resting players down the stretch. All of those factors can be significant.

I'd add that the defensive struggles have given the offense an opportunity to become more balanced and gain confidence in its dropback passing game.

That's a reasonable list. However, who knows what that list will look like in a month... Also, the Texans, because of how well they played early, will have the advantage of home field, a week off, and the option of resting players down the stretch. All of those factors can be significant.

I'd add that the defensive struggles have given the offense an opportunity to become more balanced and gain confidence in its dropback passing game.

I agree with your comment about the view a month from now. It's also doubtful that we'll lose 3 games out of the next 5. But if we lose 2, & Baltimore wins out, we won't have homefield.

Nix that, the Ravens won't beat Washington or Denver. If we beat New England we'll get HF throughout

I agree with your comment about the view a month from now. It's also doubtful that we'll lose 3 games out of the next 5. But if we lose 2, & Baltimore wins out, we won't have homefield.

Nix that, the Ravens won't beat Washington or Denver. If we beat New England we'll get HF throughout

Ha! You edited before I could respond.

The Ravens, I think, have the toughest schedule remaining. I wouldn't have picked the Skins to beat them (it is an away game though), but they will have tough games against the Chargers, the Broncos, a second game against the Steelers, and at the Giants.

1) Denver Broncos
2) Green Bay Packers
3) New England Patriots
4) New Orleans Saints
5) Houston Texans
6) Atlanta Falcons
7) San Francisco 49ers
8) Baltimore Ravens
9) Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Couldn't disagree with you more. It is all about the wins. First round bye's and home field throughout the playoffs is what those W's are for.

We are head and shoulders better than the Bronco's so I don't get how you could put them #1. We beat them right?

The Patriots put up some numbers and terrible teams but big whoop. There is nothing about the patriots that scare me.

New Orleans? Really? C'mon man!

This list looks like you have been watching way too much BSPN.

Top three teams in the AFC, Texans, Ravens, Patriots, in that order. And the Broncos? Over-rated.

Couldn't disagree with you more. It is all about the wins. First round bye's and home field throughout the playoffs is what those W's are for.

We are head and shoulders better than the Bronco's so I don't get how you could put them #1. We beat them right?

The Patriots put up some numbers and terrible teams but big whoop. There is nothing about the patriots that scare me.

New Orleans? Really? C'mon man!

This list looks like you have been watching way too much BSPN.

Top three teams in the AFC, Texans, Ravens, Patriots, in that order. And the Broncos? Over-rated.

This is about who is playing the best right now (Denver is laying an egg right now so that's hurting my argument). This is not about restating the standings.

The New York Giants & Green Bay Packers could go deep into the play-offs & win the Super Bowl because they got hot & were playing better football than the other teams at that time.

We started off better than the Patriots & the Broncos. We beat the Broncos before they started clicking. But right now (actually before today's games started) they are playing better ball than we are. I'm not too sure we'll beat New England on the road & I wouldn't put money on us beating the Broncos at home.

Baltimore is not playing well & have a tough schedule to go. I guarantee they will fall in the standings before it's all said & done.

The real question for Texans fans, is "Have we Peaked?"

Hopefully the answer is no, but it's looking like we have.

The real question for Texans fans, is "Have we Peaked?"

Hopefully the answer is no, but it's looking like we have.

It only looks that way because we're missing damn near half our starting defense on the field. If somehow they can all come back (except Cushing of course) before our first playoff game, I very much like our chances of getting to the Super Bowl. We can do it without Cushing, but I don't believe we can if we can't get back the others on our defense.

He said if the slate was wipe, meaning W-L don't matter. It's whose playing all-around top-notch right now.

Here's my list

1) 49ers
2) Pats
3) Broncos
4) Packers
5) Saints

Texans offensive outburst was against two very weak defense. No way we win that game against Bears if Cutler's stay healthy. Bears left a lot of plays on the field with drop passes. Backup QB Henne carve us up.

The only way Texans gets on my list is if they play an ALL-AROUND great game against Titans and Pats.

Lions are a top 15 D were top 10 before we played em, lol at weak ^^

Look at the Broncos game right now, still think theyre doing good

368 total offense by Broncos. D didn't allow TD. They won on the road. It was a solid ALL-AROUND game, not great but ALL-AROUND solid.

Lions are a top 15 D were top 10 before we played em, lol at weak ^^

Look at the Broncos game right now, still think theyre doing good

Brady Quin did not score 31 points.

However, Broncos definitely took a hit in my power ranking. I put them up high on the strength of their defense which I think did not show up today. Probably sleeping on the Chiefs, yet managed to get it done. Their D just didn't look as bad as our D has the last two games.

On the 1-9 Chiefs... It shouldve been a blow out

The CBS crew was just speaking about this very thing. Shannon Sharpe, who played for the Broncos for many years, said he could speak from experience that the Chiefs will play you tough when they're at home no matter what their record is. Also, the Chiefs lost a lot of games, but they're not the worst team in the league in terms of their stats --- more middle of the pack.

Even with our defense as banged up as it is, I think we can take the Titans next week. But Monday nights game in New England isn't shaping up very well. We need our defense to be in good shape to beat Brady an company.

He said if the slate was wipe, meaning W-L don't matter. It's whose playing all-around top-notch right now.

Here's my list

1) 49ers
2) Pats
3) Broncos
4) Packers
5) Saints

Texans offensive outburst was against two very weak defense. No way we win that game against Bears if Cutler's stay healthy. Bears left a lot of plays on the field with drop passes. Backup QB Henne carve us up.

The only way Texans gets on my list is if they play an ALL-AROUND great game against Titans and Pats.
OK now this is just getting silly. The best team in the NFL would be the Texans. You think the best team in the NFL would tie the Rams?

The only team on this list that I would even consider being better is Green Bay.

It's not how many points you win by its if you win. This team has had everything and the kitchen sink thrown at them and all they do is keep winning. No other team in the NFL can say that.

When did the NFL become the BCS? This entire argument is silly in my book.

If the play-offs were to start today, the Steelers would be in. The Ravens would be in & so would the Colts.

The Giants, Bears, & Seahawks would be going for the NFC.

There are 5 games left, do you think the play-off picture will remain the same?

I don't. I don't think the current W-Ls tell us who the best teams are. I think the Saints will make the play-offs. I don't think the Giants will win their division & I think Tampa Bay will make the play-offs.

My whole point in bringing up this thread, was to illustrate if the power rankings were done correctly, the Saints would be higher than the Giants. Tampa Bay would be higher than Seattle. There would actually be several teams "ranked" better than their record. Several teams "ranked" worse than their record. I think the final standings will show that.

If the play-offs were to start today, the Steelers would be in. The Ravens would be in & so would the Colts.

I don't. I don't think the current W-Ls tell us who the best teams are. I think the Saints will make the play-offs. I don't think the Giants will win their division & I think Tampa Bay will make the play-offs.

My whole point in bringing up this thread, was to illustrate if the power rankings were done correctly, the Saints would be higher than the Giants. Tampa Bay would be higher than Seattle. There would actually be several teams "ranked" better than their record. Several teams "ranked" worse than their record. I think the final standings will show that.

The Saints are not making the playoffs. They are about to drop to 5-6. The Giants are better than the Redskins, so yes, the Giants will win their division. And for Tampa to make the playoffs would say that Seattle doesn't. I see the Wild Cards being the Seahawks/Redskins.

Who do you have winning the NFC East if not the Giants?

Who do you have winning the NFC East if not the Giants?

The Redskins. The Giants will lose tonight. The 'skins are going up. The Giants are coming down.

They play each other next week. If the skins beat the Giants They'll be tied at 6-6 with 4 games to go.

The Redskins. The Giants will lose tonight. The 'skins are going up. The Giants are coming down.

They play each other next week. If the skins beat the Giants They'll be tied at 6-6 with 4 games to go.

I wouldn't count out the Giants at all just yet. Especially when they are in the division that they are. They're still in the mix easily. That team doesn't have to have a great record to win that division and they damn sure don't have to have have one to make me feel that their a SB contender. That team plays up to their opponent a lot, but when they knuckle down and go all out, they're as dangerous as anyone. The Giants are very much still alive even if they lose tonight.

thought it was the AFC that was weak, looking at all the teams records and who they have lost to it looks like the AFC is stronger than the NFC IMO

It only looks that way because we're missing damn near half our starting defense on the field. If somehow they can all come back (except Cushing of course) before our first playoff game, I very much like our chances of getting to the Super Bowl. We can do it without Cushing, but I don't believe we can if we can't get back the others on our defense.

People better listen to this. The defense Wade has to send out on the field now is just a mere shell of what we had when we beat Manning and the Broncos with earlier this year.

Those who keep singing the song that we need both units to play solid to be a serious Super Bowl team ought to be seriously concerned.

I know I am.

As an aside, that slug fest against the Jags doesn't look so improbable any more, does it? Henne at QB makes them a better team. Maybe we shouldn't have knocked Gabbert out.

People better listen to this. The defense Wade has to send out on the field now is just a mere shell of what we had when we beat Manning and the Broncos with earlier this year.

Those who keep singing the song that we need both units to play solid to be a serious Super Bowl team ought to be seriously concerned.

I know I am.

As an aside, that slug fest against the Jags doesn't look so improbable any more, does it? Henne at QB makes them a better team. Maybe we shouldn't have knocked Gabbert out.
Jags did beat Titans. Doesn't mean much but Titans do have a little better record than Jags. So, with Henne, Jags are seems to be a little better off.

I know I am.

i dont think 3 bad games makes this defense bad as a lot think. i think the 8 good games should be taken into consideration. 8 out of 11 are pretty good odds IMO

I feel there are 4 teams that are capable of having the most dominate performances both offensively and defensively. Giants, 49ers, Texans, and Broncos have passed my eye test and are legit superbowl contenders.

I leave the Patriots off because their defense should hurt them against these teams, and Brady has been rattled in the past by teams that get pressure. Atlanta seems to have all the pieces, a great record, and very consistent performances, but I haven't seen them elevate their game to the same level these other teams have.

I feel there are 4 teams that are capable of having the most dominate performances both offensively and defensively. Giants, 49ers, Texans, and Broncos have passed my eye test and are legit superbowl contenders.

Agreed

I was just thinking the Giants were running out of gas. They proved me wrong last night.

I leave the Patriots off because their defense should hurt them against these teams, and Brady has been rattled in the past by teams that get pressure. Atlanta seems to have all the pieces, a great record, and very consistent performances, but I haven't seen them elevate their game to the same level these other teams have.

The Patriots can score points in bunches, plus they have the 6th rank running offense which should help out their defense. & while their defense struggle, I believe they have the highest turnover differential. +28 last I saw.

The Falcons have the 16th ranked defense & 28th running offense. Not a good formula.

Texans rank #1 on by NFL.com experts and fans alike.

Also I noted that Texans games against the Lions and Jags were rated the highest by the fans.

And BTW, Foster is nominated for the FedEx Ground Game again.

Texans rank #1 on by NFL.com experts and fans alike.

Also I noted that Texans games against the Lions and Jags were rated the highest by the fans.

And BTW, Foster is nominated for the FedEx Ground Game again.
FWIW - Fox has the Texans ranked #2 behind the 8-2-1 49ers.

Back