Houston Texans team report:Punter & Fifth Wideout will be sought.

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by srrono, Sep 3, 2011.

1. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...am-report-punter-fifth-wideout-will-be-sought

A HOUSTON -- The Texans are looking for a punter, a fifth wide receiver and depth in the defensive line as they continue to retool a roster that stood at 52 on Saturday night.

The Texans waived punter Brad Maynard and will claim or sign a new one. After keeping Bryant Johnson, who had three catches for 64 yards against Minnesota Thursday night despite participating in only two practices last week, they’d like to find a fifth wideout like David Anderson.

He played five seasons with the Texans before being a cap casualty and signing with the Broncos, who waived him.

… There has been a lot of speculation in Dallas that once defensive end Igor Olshansky was released, he would sign with the Texans. He played for defensive coordinator Wade Phillips at San Diego and Dallas.

… The Texans kept six of eight draft choices and one undrafted free agent -- outside linebacker Bryan Braman.

… Running back Steve Slaton, fourth on the depth chart, was retained. He didn’t play in preseason because of a hamstring injury. He’s 100 percent and could be trade bait or insurance in case Arian Foster doesn’t recover from his hamstring injury as fast as the team hopes.

… Running back Chris Ogbonnaya, who led the team in preseason with 54 carries for 192 yards, was waived and could end up on the practice squad for the second consecutive season.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...er-fifth-wideout-will-be-sought#ixzz1WwdTs9zd

2. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I have new found faith in our talent evaluation and seriously doubt our personnel moves ended at the 53 man roster deadline.

3. TdotTexas2Step

TdotTexas2Step All Pro

How do we feel about Ex-Patriot Brandon Tate?

He was let go by the Pats because he wasn't becoming the receiver they needed him to be, but in our loaded offense, he wouldn't really be asked to do much, and he's proven in the past he could be dynamic on special teams, which would in turn allow us to keep Manning away from that role.

4. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I am very ok with just 4 Wrs with this tight end corps and two running backs that can catch and that does not include Slaton.

5. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

I kind of agree. My gut tells me that this was all done on purpose. They have a plan. (I hope).

6. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Unless the injury bug hits us. But I do agree that Schaub already has more than enough folks to throw to, considering the recieving talent at RBs, TEs, and HBs.

7. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Honestly, over time they have been decent enough at finding guys like Pollard, wilson etc early in the season who can be short term band-aids.

8. RT22

RT22 Veteran

I can see WR Brandon Tate being a Texan. He is exactly what we need as a 4th or 5th WR. He will compete with Bryant Johnson for his spot, gives us a speed guy, and plays special teams which i'm not sure about B. Johnson. This move would make us better.

9. Rey

Rey Guest

This, excluding the slaton part.

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I have a feeling Slaton will be moved before the trade deadline to a team hurting for a RB or possibly cut when the team is confident that Foster is fully healed.

The Pencil Neck likes this.
  11. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

Why? If healthy Slaton can catch and he has been suggested to be a WR in some schemes. SOme called him a Reggie Bush type RB.

12. RT22

RT22 Veteran

I can also see former Arizona P Ben Graham being on the Texans radar.

13. Scooter

Scooter Funky

i'd like to see us keep slaton and forgo a 5th receiver if it came to that. slaton's experienced as a WR (motion) in our system, as are all 3 of our receiving tightends and james casey. i'd rather have the depth at RB than at WR. we are a little thin though so anderson or tate are likely on our radar - players who can be put on special teams since they'll likely knock someone off of that unit.

i'm looking at merriweather as an upgrade over barber.

i really like graham at punter.

i'd trust wade's decision with olshansky - if wade wants him we need to get him.

14. Ndevine7

Ndevine7 All Pro

is ben graham the aussie punter that used to play for the jets?

15. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

He was with the Jets early in his career........4 of 8 years.

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

The one thing that concerns me with the punter situation is who's holding for FG's & PAT's ..... Thats a critical element of the kicking game.

17. TexCanada

TexCanada Hall of Fame

I definitely think we need another WR. One injury to any of our WRs and we are looking very thin there.

18. Rey

Rey Guest

Misunderstood what you were saying. I agree that he can provide a receiving element.

19. ccdude730

ccdude730 Hall of Fame

Its not always the punter who is out there to hold. Occasionally it might be the backup QB. I think we need to get the best punter available on the market, period. At that point - ask Rackers who he is most comfortable with.

20. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Ben Graham's name has been brought up and if the Texans were to sign him then he and Neil Rackers would have some history together since they were both on the Cardinals. I dunno if Graham was the holder in Arizona though.

However, Graham's stats aren't all that impressive. Matt Turk has had a better net average than him 4 out of the last 5 years.