Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Houston Texans select 4th round KeKe Coutee WR Texas Tech

Fred

Veteran
Had they won that one , they'd be 7-2 and have a grip on the 2 seed …. but even then , the next two games would go a long way in deciding their fate. They gotta beat both the Ravens and Dolts. Do that and you've got a stranglehold on the #2.

Pats game is pretty meaningless in that fight. You'd have the tie breaker over the Ravens ...and the tie breaker Vs the Dolts in common opponents - they lost to the Raiders and Chargers.
I'd rather win out. Guarantees 2 seed, and a good chance for 1 seed if Pats lose 1 more game. Actually beating either the Ravens or the Pats means the Colts win the Common opponent tiebreaker, which for the division title comes before the Conference record tiebreaker.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
Coutee reminds me of a player who realizes he's fallen way behind the 8-Ball due to injuries and not studying his playbook enough. He's behind Hopkins, behind Fuller (when healthy) and has fallen behind Stills (due to his above avg play when on the field). Fells and Aikens are having nice seasons when targeted which offer other targets in the passing game. With the return of Jordan Thomas, I'm thinking he's just waiting for his opportunity to have an impact. That's 6 solid receiving options, not including Hyde and Johnson.......which makes 8.

Coutee has a big challenge ahead of him if he wants to get any chance at playing time or salvaging his roster spot. Personally, the Texans might be better off putting him on the trade block. His potential might help the Texans receive a RD5 in return.

As for Stills......Texans need to get his arse inked sooner rather than later. No reason to compete for his services since he's already on the roster and proven to be a valuable asset.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Coutee reminds of a player who realizes he's fallen way behind the 8-Ball due to injuries and not studying his playbook enough. He's behind Hopkins, behind Fuller (when healthy) and has fallen behind Stills (due to his above avg play when on the field). Fells and Aikens are having nice seasons when targeted which offer other targets in the passing game. With the return of Jordan Thomas, I'm thinking he's just waiting for his opportunity to have an impact. That's 6 solid receiving options, not including Hyde and Johnson.......which makes 8.

Coutee has a big challenge ahead of him if he wants to get any chance at playing time or salvaging his roster spot. Personally, the Texans might be better off putting him on the trade block. His potential might help the Texans receive a RD5 in return.

As for Stills......Texans need to get his arse inked sooner rather than later. No reason to compete for his services since he's already on the roster and proven to be a valuable asset.
Agreed,

Stills is signed for next year.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
So much for that draft being a good one
You dont like the Reid/Akins picks, or the picks like Peter K that upgraded the ST's?

I would say getting an all pro level S which has been a position of weakness for yrs in the 3r makes that a good draft on that pick alone. I also like Jordan Thomas.

What would it have taken for you to consider that a good draft? I would say you probably have unrealistic expectations.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
You dont like the Reid/Akins picks, or the picks like Peter K that upgraded the ST's?

I would say getting an all pro level S which has been a position of weakness for yrs in the 3r makes that a good draft on that pick alone. I also like Jordan Thomas.

What would it have taken for you to consider that a good draft? I would say you probably have unrealistic expectations.
Akins has 289 yards. He's broken 40 yards once. Peter k, lol

I don't have unrealistic expectations which is why I think the next two drafts will suck

TexansBull

Hall of Fame

I don't have unrealistic expectations which is why I think the next two drafts will suck
Why would the next two drafts suck? We have a franchise LT that is one of the best in the league to protect our franchise QB. Pretty important pickup.

We have a solid starting corner and a solid running back. Plus a solid WR.

I think people hate trading the draft picks because they don’t get to pop popcorn and wait to see who is drafted. They already know, don’t get to be surprised or speculate, and are bitter about it.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

You didn't answer my question, what would it have taken for you to consider it a successful draft. Name the players you wanted.

I can see you dont value ST's as much as I do.

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
You didn't answer my question, what would it have taken for you to consider it a successful draft. Name the players you wanted.

I can see you dont value ST's as much as I do.
I have said many times that the best way to have a good draft is to not trade away your pics for peanuts and to take BPA

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I have said many times that the best way to have a good draft is to not trade away your pics for peanuts and to take BPA
I asked what you would've done differently in that draft. Who would you have picked? Crickets, not surprising.

BTW, Would you have rather kept those picks and not gotten Watson?

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I asked what you would've done differently in that draft. Who would you have picked? Crickets, not surprising.

BTW, Would you have rather kept those picks and not gotten Watson?
Not my job.

The Watson trade was risky but obviously worked out.

Apparently you think they can hit on superstars for the few picks they have left the next two years

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Not my job.

The Watson trade was risky but obviously worked out.

Apparently you think they can hit on superstars for the few picks they have left the next two years
Not your job? Great f'n response. Stop complaining then.

Has the Watson trade worked out? He's not progressing.

I think they can add 2-3 starters in next yrs draft and improve their depth.

I hope they use a 4th on Rodrigo Blankenship.

Last edited:

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
Keke is up outta here..just doesn't seem to really be in the mix anymore...
I can remember watching a replay in the Baltimore game where he ran a crossing route just feet away from Hopkins. He's effectively subtracting 2 options from a pass play when he does it and might as well be sacking Watson. Maybe he ran the wrong route or maybe he's not cutting at the correct depth to maintain the designed spacing.

He's not assignment sound and needs to dedicate himself to the playbook. I for one was looking forward to a great season from him and was wrong. He may get cut before next season if he doesn't get his **** together.

banned1976

sleeper mode
After a healthy playoff non-participation , I am quite certain Coutee is done in Houston. And I don’t believe he has any trade value whatsoever.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Remember when we use to hear the slot WR position was essential to this offense and they spent years trying to find one? I guess they are still looking.

Maybe they can get Kliff Kingsbury to give up a late draft pick for him.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I bet Coutee goes to another team and finds success. The kid is talented, not sure why he isn't succeeding with the Texans?
It's only his 2nd year. And last year he was the only one that did anything against the Colts in the playoffs. He needs to catch up mentally

powda

The bridge between stupid and useless is short.
I figured with the addition of stills his reps and stats would drop some. I'm not sure anyone foresaw him dropping off a cliff like this.

I've seen him run the wrong routes and I presume he's not a good practice player. I dunno how he got into ob's dog house but he needs to climb out.

I saw potential in him last year and it would be nice if he could help carry the load when fuller is out. My guess is something major happened behind the scenes we dont know about.

michaelm

vox nihili
Makes no dang sense.
Yeah it does. In the same way Ocho Cinco couldn't find success in the NE offensive scheme. He just couldn't grasp the route concepts despite having been hugely successful in a different system previously.
Keke just might need to be in a simpler system where his physical skills can be utilized with less information processing on the fly

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Yeah it does. In the same way Ocho Cinco couldn't find success in the NE offensive scheme. He just couldn't grasp the route concepts despite having been hugely successful in a different system previously.
Keke just might need to be in a simpler system where his physical skills can be utilized with less information processing on the fly
Yep! He was highly successful in college where he was given A route to run regardless of what the defense was doing. Reading defenses may not be his forte

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
Yep! He was highly successful in college where he was given A route to run regardless of what the defense was doing. Reading defenses may not be his forte
This is the kind of draft pick we have not been able to hit on. A fourth round pick with the talent to be something special.

Not that I think he can be Antonio Brown, but I'd like to see a play or two designed to get him the ball.

He should not be on the sideline & not take a single snap. I understand DeAndre Carter may have a sensitive ego but I'd still take a few snaps from him.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
This is the kind of draft pick we have not been able to hit on. A fourth round pick with the talent to be something special.

Not that I think he can be Antonio Brown, but I'd like to see a play or two designed to get him the ball.

He should not be on the sideline & not take a single snap. I understand DeAndre Carter may have a sensitive ego but I'd still take a few snaps from him.

Yeah, he should get a few targets a game, not healthy scratches

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Many reasons for Coutee having fallen out of favor.................injuries...............more receiver options (WR/TE).................everything I've heard from the inside is that he still has not been able to grasp reading defenses and running complete and correct routes in practices (spilling over to games when given his opportunities).............Carter has been much more consistent in those categories. Coutee's woes really ramped up in the week 7 loss to the Colts when Coutee had a reception wrestled away from him by LB Darius Leonard for the game-sealing interception.

There is much for the team and fans to like about Coutee, but much more to be concerned about.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Yeah, he should get a few targets a game, not healthy scratches
Watching the Saints, they have several plays where Hill is a WR, RB and even a QB. Watching the Titans, a couple of times a game, they run a package with two QBs on the field.

When the wildcat was popular, several teams had a weekly wildcat package. I have made several posts complaining about Coutee getting in the passing lanes, screwing up the spacing and running wrong routes. However, couldn’t the Texans have a weekly package of 5-10 plays for Coutee? Deactivating him seems like a waste of a potential resource. Especially when Fuller is out.

Earl34

Hall of Fame
It was nice to see Gullispia out there a couple of snaps
Fells was signed as a blocking TE. I’ve been pleasantly surprise by his contributions in the passing game, but disappointed in his blocking.

With all of the blocking’s issues, I still think Gullispia could help if they gave him some snaps on offense. Shoot, it couldn’t hurt. I’ve never seen so many terrible blocking TEs on one roster.

Reactions: JB

PapaL

Loose Screw
However, couldn’t the Texans have a weekly package of 5-10 plays for Coutee? Deactivating him seems like a waste of a potential resource. Especially when Fuller is out.
Why invest time in a dude that isn't investing time into the scheme the last 2 years? The dude can't read a defense much less run the right route. I wouldn't trust him to run 5-10 plays in preseason much less the playoffs.

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Why invest time in a dude that isn't investing time into the scheme the last 2 years? The dude can't read a defense much less run the right route. I wouldn't trust him to run 5-10 plays in preseason much less the playoffs.
If this was the case they should have traded him this year. If they know that in 2 years he isn't learning, we probably could have gotten something out of him before the deadline.

PapaL

Loose Screw
If this was the case they should have traded him this year. If they know that in 2 years he isn't learning, we probably could have gotten something out of him before the deadline.
Young WRs have a history of struggling in OB's offense; Strong, Mumph, and Braxton Miller. Hell he couldn't even win the returner job and all Carter does is take a knee lol. Combine that with the offseason our FO had and well it's not looking good for Keke.

Houston Texans crossing a familiar road with Keke Coutee

Earl34

Hall of Fame
Every year, there seem to a be an issue with the Texans' offense that they just cannot fix during the season. This year, it was first quarter scoring and what happened to Keke Coutee.

Believe it or not. There are actual Keke highlights from his rookie year. How on earth, did this promising rookie, spend an entire offseason working with the offense and then the 2019 season starts and he plays worst than his rookie year? You watch this video and you see how Coutee was used and you wonder where were those plays for Coutee or even Duke Johnson.

Watch this video and see how Keke was used in 2018.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I think we should look at his bad plays rather than his good to see why he might not be playing more. I was excited when drafted seeing his college film and stats but he has not encouraged me. I can say some is coaching but he doesn't look good when Watson targets him. A down the list on checkdown player he needs to step up when ball comes his way and
IMO, he has not. I'm hoping he will be part of a trade package with Fuller and Fulton.

Texansballer74

The Marine
I think we should look at his bad plays rather than his good to see why he might not be playing more. I was excited when drafted seeing his college film and stats but he has not encouraged me. I can say some is coaching but he doesn't look good when Watson targets him. A down the list on checkdown player he needs to step up when ball comes his way and
IMO, he has not. I'm hoping he will be part of a trade package with Fuller and Fulton.
I think it had more to do with him showing up late to meetings. As well as running the wrong routes. It was a very tough season for him.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
Yes it was a tough season for him and very likely his last with the Texans. The kid showed a lot of promise and then just fell off the rails. Not sure what happened.

I feel the same way. You could see the talent and the energy .... and then .... pffft ! - gone with the wind ! Same thing with the big running back from Texas .... in order to reach that level, you know they had to have loved it all their lives !

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
His meetings problems, as well as his poor route running were all part of his lack of utilization last year. But last preseason, Coutee was carted off the field with what was report a "minor ankle sprain." When I reviewed the play on film, it was evident that he had suffered not a "minor" lateral low ankle sprain, but a significant high ankle sprain. He was not able to appear in another game for 5 weeks. That high ankle sprain dogged him the rest of the season. His return this year will be dependent on all of the above being wiped off the list.