Houston Texans News: Kareem Jackson To Move To Safety Full Time

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by mussop, Jun 25, 2018.

1. mussop

mussop Hall of Fame

Couldn't find a thread about this so...... https://www.battleredblog.com/2018/...roster-moves-kareem-jackson-to-move-to-safety

Yes, yes, yes, it’s finally happening. Kareem Jackson is finally moving to safety full time. This was confirmed by Bill O’Brien on Sports Radio 610 this afternoon. According to Football Outsiders’ Premium Charting Data, Jackson was targeted 77 times last year, allowing 8.1 yards a pass, for a success rate of 52%, surrendering 1.4 yards after the catch, with the average attempt traveling 11.1 yards through the air last year. This is all really bad. The only good news was that Kareem still tackled well, missing a tackle only 15.8% of the time.

Jackson has never been precise with his footwork. He’s made up for it as a cornerback with athleticism and physicality. But now, as the aging progress marches on, he’s lost a step. With that lost step, his ability to play cornerback successfully has also gone away. Oh, and being unable to look for the ball or turn around doesn’t help either.

This is a move the Texans probably should have made two or three years ago. Quintin Demps, Kurtis Drummond, Rahim Moore...there have been a ton of terrible safeties playing in Houston before Andre Hal took over. The position seems better suited for Jackson’s skills, and it should allow him to play better as the gray hairs keep arriving.

2. EllisUnit

EllisUnit Serving Koolaid

This is good news, especially now with what is going on with Hal. I think this move alone will improve our secondary, as long as they don't start Kevin Johnson in his spot.....

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Hall of Fame

Truth is, Kareem has been better suited for safety his entire career.

4. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

If only the Texans listened to this MB instead of Wade & RC.

5. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

Was this comment entirely necessary......on a message board? Talk about being the proverbial turd in the punch bowl.

macho grande, vupac1 and steelbtexan like this.
  6. xtruroyaltyx

You dislike opinions in general or just ones you disagree with?

Maybe just shut the site down then since “if they did it it must be right”. No need for football discussion.

7. infantrycak

Sorry it struck you that way.

Player position changes are just funny to me. A million get suggested. Few get made. Most of those made get criticized.

I will say, I find it funny as well for folks to say 'yay we were right years ago' because he is being moved now. We are talking about two of the best DCs out there after all. Maybe they're due a bit of deference.

santo, ArlingtonTexan and TexansBull like this.
  8. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

About time.

Is it harder to find a nickel cb or a fs?

That's the only reason I can think of for why they haven't already made this move.

9. xtruroyaltyx

Kareem had been playing safety here and there for a while and OB even had him playing exclusively there during a stretch a couple years ago I believe.

I wasn’t saying they were wrong. I think both are excellent at what they do.

Just stating my opinion that he would’ve always made a better safety than corner.

But to your point I don’t think that I’m necessarily contradicting Wade or Romeo. If you go back To wade who inherited Kareem Vance Joseph talked about how he was good with the play in front of him which was usually within the first five yards but when he had to flip his hips and run with his back to the play he struggled.

As a safety he’ll spend a lot more time facing the play rather than turning and running with a wr.

But regarding him not making the full time move there before I’d guess that had more to do with the lack of even halfway decent corners.

But just playstlye wise I think Kareem is similar to Glover Quinn who switched to safety after year one.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  10. xtruroyaltyx

Yeah, I don’t think it’s coincidence that they go out and sign Colvin and now Kareem is going to safety.

When Bouye was here Kareem played quite a bit of safety that year too.

OptimisticTexan and steelbtexan like this.

11. Mangler

Mangler All Pro

I really hope Kevin Johnson benefits from the new nutritionist and strength & conditioning coach. He’s more than likely taking on Kareem’s old role.

12. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Richesson is the best move the Texans made this offseason. Time to be the bully for a change. And maybe not have so many guys go down with soft tissue injuries too!

13. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

pretty much. This move was long overdue.

14. frethack

frethack Veteran

Having the play in front of him instead of having to get his head around will be big. No more watching as KJ blindly throws his hands up when the receiver does.

macho grande and OptimisticTexan like this.
  15. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Ehh, they all panic and do that at times..Kareem just gets a bad wrap for that b/c we saw him do it so much his rookie year; boy he was terrible. But outside of JJ, i don't think I've ever seen any Texan player improve as much as KJ did from his rookie year to his 2nd year. He's been solid every since then.

Grams, JB and infantrycak like this.
  16. Hervoyel

Hervoyel BUENO!

I always thought that in a perfect world where the Texans were sitting on a pile of starting-caliber NFL CB's then moving Kareem over to safety might have been an interesting experiment and I bet that thought had occurred to Wade and RC. They just didn't have all those great guys lined up waiting to go to the Pro Bowl opposite Joseph in Kareem's place.

We have to consider what we had to work with behind him and it's not like finding capable CB's is any easier to do than finding quality Safeties. They tried to go get Kevin Johnson and if he'd been what he seemed to flash and could stay healthy maybe we would have seen Kareem tried out at the Safety spot years ago. Didn't work out and our successful project Bouye pulled up stakes to go somewhere else.

Plus years ago before he lost those steps we're all talking about he was not a bad CB. Sure he had issues and he wasn't perfect but I'm sure it seemed less pressing and less tempting to move him when he was a little quicker.

I just hope he works out over there and can continue contributing but either way if we got our 4-5 best guys on the field that's all we can ask.

17. infantrycak

First off, I'm in no way opposed to moving him to safety, more particularly I understand to FS.

As to prior to this and what was behind him, both Wade & RC have played heavy roles in the drafts. I think if they'd been banging the drums to get someone so he could be moved a priority would have been made on doing it. So that's a little chicken & egg.

DocBar likes this.
  18. Hervoyel

Hervoyel BUENO!

I don’t know if it was ever made or not. Kevin Johnson was drafted in the first round so that could be interpreted as a move to be ready for JJo aging or it could have been a move to upgrade Kareem’s side. Could have simply been best rated player available. Hell if I know.

I just think that the switch has been a widely debated topic for a few years now and that since both those guys are defensive wizards I’m pretty sure all the things people see that make them think “We could move Kareem to FS” those two probably saw as well. They never did it and Kevin Johnson never took Kareem’s CB spot so I think they felt he was worth more where he was at to us. I am purely speculating but I bet any DC worth his salt would have at least considered it as a possible future move as the player aged.

19. infantrycak

Total agreement the move would have been considered.

20. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

I suspect this is going g to be a solid move and maybe even better than that. I expect he will do a fine job at FS.

OptimisticTexan and steelbtexan like this.