Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Houston Texans @ Indianapolis Colts. Noon. 12/30. **Official GameDay Thread**

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
are you talking about the geathers sack..? brooks wasnt even on the field.. geathers shot the gap between smith and myers... both brown and smith shifted to the left of who they were lined up on, leaving brown not really blocking anybody and a free gap between smith and myers. geathers was untouched and arian ran right by him. whose at fault here? should schaub have known that brown and smith would block this way and recognize that geathers would be free to shoot the gap. should he have changed the protection to get arian to pick up that gap..?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/0ap2000000120038/Colts-defense-sack-9-yd-loss
shooting the A gap like that has been something teams have routinely been doing to us since the Green Bay game effectively & this coaching staff still has not corrected it...so that should tell you who its on right there...the coaches.

It looks like Arian on that play was going out for his trademark dump off position right there in front of the line in the middle of the field b/c if you look at it again, Arian sort of moves out of his way a little so he can get by the guy unimpeded...don't even think he was looking to block him....they're just completely overmatched up front. Where in the hell are you stepping up through that when the D-lineman's got a free run at you like that?

Again, i'm not totally removing Schaub's ineptness from the equation, i'm simply stating that any qb would have issues making plays under situations like that & they've been more prevalent as of late than you guys are letting on.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
shooting the A gap like that has been something teams have routinely been doing to us since the Green Bay game effectively & this coaching staff still has not corrected it...so that should tell you who its on right there...the coaches.
When I think of shooting the gap, I think of a LB attacking that gap. That's what GB & the Patriots did to us.

The play we're talking about (& you & I are on the same play, I'm sure of it) You're talking about a DE that's just doing his job. Nothing special. It's not a "scheme" for us to adjust to. This is a blocking call that was blown.

I think it is clear that Brooks was expecting help to his left. It just wasn't there.
It looks like Arian on that play was going out for his trademark dump off position right there in front of the line in the middle of the field b/c if you look at it again, Arian sort of moves out of his way a little so he can get by the guy unimpeded...don't even think he was looking to block him....they're just completely overmatched up front. Where in the hell are you stepping up through that when the D-lineman's got a free run at you like that?
This is why I'm sure we're on the same play. I saw Arian "avoid" the DE as well. I wouldn't think the assignments would have been that Arian was supposed to pick up that guy. But when he "dodged" him, Arian was giving him a free pass. I would have thought Arian would have thought, "Ok, that guy isn't supposed to be there. I'm not going to be able to stop him... but I'm the last line of defense."

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
When I think of shooting the gap, I think of a LB attacking that gap. That's what GB & the Patriots did to us.

The play we're talking about (& you & I are on the same play, I'm sure of it) You're talking about a DE that's just doing his job. Nothing special. It's not a "scheme" for us to adjust to. This is a blocking call that was blown.

I think it is clear that Brooks was expecting help to his left. It just wasn't there.

This is why I'm sure we're on the same play. I saw Arian "avoid" the DE as well. I wouldn't think the assignments would have been that Arian was supposed to pick up that guy. But when he "dodged" him, Arian was giving him a free pass. I would have thought Arian would have thought, "Ok, that guy isn't supposed to be there. I'm not going to be able to stop him... but I'm the last line of defense."
But see this is why it's more on the coaches than it is on schaub. If you've been seeing this over and over for the last 5-6 weeks at minimum, why not adjust? At the very least, they should telling Arian to chip the guy on his way out. Don't let him just have a free run at your qb.

I just get the feeling that Kubiak is being stubborn and is using the mentality he has about the running game..."we don't care how many you have in the box, we should be able to run & pick up 2-3 yards if we need it.." Well Mr. Kubiak that hasn't even been working as of late..................So adjust your damn playcalling and schemes!!!!!!!!!

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
But see this is why it's more on the coaches than it is on schaub. If you've been seeing this over and over for the last 5-6 weeks at minimum, why not adjust? At the very least, they should telling Arian to chip the guy on his way out. Don't let him just have a free run at your qb.
Whoa... I haven't seen Arian do this for the last 5-6 weeks.