Houston Texans 4th Round pick, Julien Davenport, OT, Bucknell

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by IDEXAN, Apr 29, 2017.

1. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Strengths
    Possesses elite arm length and hand size for the position. Can unravel his arms and stick them into the chest of a frustrated edge rusher. Able to gain necessary ground to race to the edge over first two kick slides. Keeps head back and out of pass sets when he punches. Team leader and two-year captain. Good strength in hands to snatch and secure the frame of defenders. Has adequate athleticism to reach and hook the edge. Able to get out in space as pulling tackle or on screens. Has moldable physical traits to work with.
    Weaknesses
    Competition level won't have him prepared for NFL rushers. Feet are a little heavy. Struggles to redirect back inside against stunts. Plays with inconsistent base width and balance. Will allow secure blocks to slip out of the side door due to poor footwork. Leans into run blocks rather than running feet under him. Has to keep his feet alive and moving after initial contact. Hand approach and placement is spotty. Loses base on lateral work due to tall pad level and uneven weight dispersal.
    Draft Projection
    Rounds 4-5
    NFL Comparison
    LaAdrian Waddle
    Bottom Line
    Raw tackle lacking in technique but long on physical traits. Has been able to dominate against lower level of competition and his step up in competition during pre-draft workouts will either throw a wet blanket over his draft grade or send his stock soaring. Despite a lack of technique, his traits will have teams willing to draft and wait for him as a project. He will be a work in progress and might be forced to move to the right side.
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/julien-davenport?id=2557963

thunderkyss likes this.
  2. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Teflon Rick must go

Dude will get the football cram sessions of his life at practices .

3. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Appreciate that they took the high ceiling option here.

TheRealJoker likes this.
  4. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

This is the type of guy we needed to take in an OL draft like this. Don't force need pick stay true to your board and grab a developmental guy with potential when it makes sense.

vupac1, thunderkyss and ATXtexanfan like this.
  5. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Yeah, getting to face Clowney, Watt and Merci on the daily will be a amazing opportunity.

6. Hoptimus Prime

Hoptimus Prime Veteran

This worked out. Only 1 OT was taken after we took Foreman in the 3rd. Pretty much got the same selection we would've had if we went the OT route in the 3rd.

7. chenjy9

chenjy9 All Pro

This is why I didn't mind not picking up an OL player in R3; none of them were worth picking in the 3rd.

8. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

At the Senior Bowl, Davenport measured in at 6’6” and 310 pounds, with 36-inch arms and an 87.5-inch wingspan, the longest of any player at the Senior Bowl. His hands measured 10 3/4 ". How does that grab you? :)

[​IMG]

amazing80, DocBar, pirbroke and 2 others like this.
  9. maverick512000

maverick512000 Veteran

Yeah I'm not worried about him not being NFL ready on day one. If he can learn to block our defense he can block anyone in the league. Put him on the line in front of Watt and tell him "Now don't let him get near the QB" that will teach him real fast.

ATXtexanfan likes this.
  10. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Davenport was sorta overwhelmed at the Senior Bowl as he'd never faced that level of competition before so it's gonna be a long haul for the young man but there's enough potential there to take a gamble on this guy because with his incredibly length he's more of a LT than RT prospect and potentially could be Duane Browns replacement in a couple year but that's a long ways from here.
    Wow this is the weakest OLine draft class I can recall and it's particularly thin for tackles. OK so Ricky is gonna have to hit the UNDFA rookies now especially hard for some OTs and lets hope they find a sleeper or two out there.

CloakNNNdagger likes this.

11. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Never fear that the Texans don't have a plan. I'm sure they've already penciled in Newton to be back at RT this year.:chef:

vupac1 and Texian like this.
  12. Honoring Earl 34

Medicine has come a long way .

[​IMG]

13. vupac1

vupac1 Veteran

Right alongside DQ I'm sure

14. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Although regarded as something of a developmental prospect coming out of the Colonial Athletic Association, Davenport could compete for playing time quickly at right tackle with three-time Pro Bowl blocker Duane Brown entrenched on the left side.

The Texans needed reinforcements along their offensive line, particularly at the tackle position after starting right tackle Derek Newton tore both patellar tendons last season and isn't expected to play this year.

"I'm coming in and I'm ready to get right to work and I'm ready to be fighting for that starting spot," Davenport said. "I want to play right away. Anybody that doesn't have that mindset, then I don't know if they belong in this league because I'm real competitive and I want to be one of the best to go down. I want to be that overachiever, hard worker that comes every day with a purpose. Davenport is a two-time team captain with 36 1/2 inch arms and an 87 1/2 inch wingspan who scored a 34 on the Wonderlic exam. At 6-7, 318 pounds, his wingspan is the longest of any one in the draft.
    http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/...nell-tackle-Julie-n-Davenport-in-11108923.php
    I'm pumped about this guy though I'm still skeptical he can help us this year because that's just probably too soon to expect him to develop that quickly.
    He sounds mature and he's smart and a good teammate, elected captain for two years. I'm telling you there's a lot to like with this guy !

vupac1, Max, thunderkyss and 2 others like this.
  15. Number19

Number19 Hall of Fame

I'm liking this pick more today than yesterday. I liked the selection but didn't think he would contribute much his first year. Last night I was wondering what his Wonderlic was. I also read about his background this morning. This morning I'm thinking he may absorb and apply his lessons more quickly than I first anticipated. With as little as we have at RT and as raw as he may be, could he be our starter game one?

16. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Hall of Fame

Watched some film of him and buddy needs a lot of work. I expected to see him dominating the level of competition he was going against and man handling defensive players....he looked like he just fit right in....

I'd be surprised if there is anyone in the entire camp that he can hold off in pass pro and the reason is because his feet are so heavy and slow.

Even with those long arms he let guys get into his body. I'd be shocked if he's in contention to start at RT this season. There's probably 3 or 4 better options.

vupac1 and steelbtexan like this.
  17. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

More interest in him now drafted but not much out there when I began to research him prior to last season. Not much here but some if you're interested. *Note I cherry picked article. Full article at link.

http://herosports.com/news/fcs-football-bucknell-lineman-nfl-draft-prospect-julien-davenport

Insideop and thunderkyss like this.
  18. Honoring Earl 34

19. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

doesn't look like a fat slob as some tackles do

20. Honoring Earl 34