Houston Texans 2017 3rd round pick, D'onta Foreman, RB, Texas

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by kiwitexansfan, Apr 29, 2017.

1. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

What impresses me in the highlights is that despite being powerful he seems to have vision to run into space and it's his vision as much as his power that allows him to break arm tackles.

76Texan likes this.
  2. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Hall of Fame

Seems like the perfect guy for a Kubiak system.

Watson too.

3. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

Really excited to watch him wear out defenses. We finally have a big powerful RB to pair with Miller!

76Texan, mussop, Say Watt and 2 others like this.
  4. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

I don't much care about his highlights. I want to mention his heart. With a broken heart after the loss of his infant child, this man played the season. Didn't mention it, didn't make any excuses, just played football. Maybe it was his escape. Maybe it was his way of coping. Regardless I'm pulling for his this year. He's my adopted Texan for this upcoming.

5. EVOLVIST

EVOLVIST Kid A

I don't get this. Foreman is a talent, sure. Still, Houston is where quality half-back don't see playing time, yet we sprint out a scrub like Tyler Ervin, and a half-baked guy like Blue.

Grimes is probably the most under-utilized back in the league. It's a crying shame really.

Then the Texans wasted picks like Kenny Hilliard and the aforementioned Ervin.

Then you have a guy like Hunt who needs to be out there playing, too, because he's got magic.

The only thing I can think of is that Blue gets cuts, they'll wear down Lamar Miller, nobody will touch Hilliard on our practice squad, so we'll be left with Miller for a couple of years, Hunt, Grimes and now Foreman.

The kid from San Jose State should go to the practice squad.

This is just a weird way the Texans draft RBs, and then how they handle them afterwards.

thunderkyss, steelbtexan and texan279 like this.
  6. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

I'm with you on Hunt and Grimes.

I think Blue and Hunt get cut or traded and we carry 4 backs, Miller, Foreman, Grimes and Ervin.

7. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Damn it, I just saw that video and was coming here to post something similar.. As someone who was born 2 1/2 months premature back in the early 80's (survival rates weren't very high back then) and also named after my father.. this really touched me. It put things in perspective and made me think what my parents must've been going through, I couldn't imagine. I really hope he has as much success as he can on and off the field.. I'm going to adopt him too.

It's sad.. if only his boy didn't develop that infection,.. There's literally no immune system at that fragile state. I remember my mom telling me when she was finally allowed to bring me home after months in the hospital, she still wouldn't let anybody hold me, because she was scared I was going to get sick.

I'm really rooting for this guy

8. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Who's going to trade for Blue.. They'll be UDFAs that can do what he does.. there is every year. Honestly I'm surprised he lasted this long.

9. Bulls on Parade

Bulls on Parade 2017 Astros: Earn It!

His speed to the outside is really good as well.
    He has "football speed" and out-runs people in pads.
    This man is an everyday down back. He can do it all.

Run between the tackles or take it outside as well.
    We can split carries between Lamar Miller and D'Onta Foreman.

I love that he's excited about playing with the Houston Texans.
    He's from Texas City as well. He's a blue-collar Texan just like us.

Super excited about our future backfield for many years to come.
    Deshaun Watson and D'Onta Foreman are some heavy hitters.
    Big time players. I don't know how we got this lucky guys.
    Just like the Cowboys ended up with Elliot and Dak last year.

Say Watt likes this.
  10. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

I did not see this pick coming. Do we believe the presser, where Smith and OB say he was the BPA on their board, or read into that the Texans realized why Miller wasn't the featured back in Miami?

disaacks3, gafftop, sixfour and 2 others like this.

11. chicagotexan2

chicagotexan2 RickSmithSUX

I'm ok with this pick. This guy looks like a hammer but the OL really needs an upgrade too. Hopefully we can address that issue or foreman will he hit behind the line like miller often did.

12. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

The knock on him is he needs to do a better job running behind his pads and be more physical and at the next level and he will, but the kid really only started one season.. But honestly I'd rather have this kid at the bottom of the 3rd round with 207 less touches than have Leonard fournette with the 4th ovrl pick in the draft, the Jags are dumbasses. Adrian Peterson wasn't even drafted that high.

I think this guy is just scratching the surface of what he can be, He just needs to keep his weight in check. 249 pounds is way too heavy for him.

Love seeing Earl in that video.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    jradMIT likes this.
  13. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Why would they admit that?.. the guy had over a 1,000 yards rushing at 4 ypc behind a subpar line (being kind) and a QB who couldn't throw the ball and force defenders out of the box. Miller was literally about the only offensive threat we had last season.

Compare the production that he had here on one of the worst offenses ever to make the playoffs against what he did in Miami.. He didn't slip that much, we just didn't give him space, literally. I would've rather used him more in the passing game. Playcalling was horrible.. QB play was even worse.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  14. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

That's the only way I can justify picking a RB when the team already has 5 on the roster and there are glaring holes on the O, LB (even though they did great getting Cunningham) and S. I don't hate the pick, it's just that there are bigger needs and players, at those positions of need, that were there for the taking.

I wonder if the inattention to the OL shows the team's confidence in DQ making a full recovery and playing at a high level and Jeff Allen playing better once his busted wheel heals.

15. TheRealJoker

So because draft picks get preferential treatment at RB that means Foreman will get every opportunity since he was drafted higher than Ervin, Blue, and Hilliard!

16. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

He was the Doak Walker Award winner.. and it doesn't really matter if we have 5 on the roster..we're not really 5 deep. There's a TON of dead weight on that backend.

This is not a good tackle draft.. the next tackle taken is not going to be that much better than the other few taken behind him, plus there was a run on DBs before the Foreman pick..

Honestly in all my years of watching the draft, this might be the worst Tackle draft I've ever seen..I don't even remember seeing a run on tackles and the first one didn't come off the board until the bottom of the first round, usually you'll have one go top 5.

To me the drafting of Foreman doesn't say anything about Miller.. It just tells me that there was nobody that separated themselves from the available position group heard who's worth letting Foreman slip further. BPA.

I still think we'll find a S/CB That's one thing R. Smith IS actually good at finding and this draft is deep at safety.. but I've pretty much washed my hands of the offensive lineman in this draft as a whole. I know we'll draft some, but holy hell what a shitty draft for offensive lineman.

76Texan and disaacks3 like this.
  17. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

Shitty OL play would actually be an upgrade to what we saw from Clarke and Allen last season. Allen played injured the whole season, so there's hope there, but Clarke was just gawd awful.

steelbtexan likes this.
  18. TheRealJoker

I'm holding out hope we luck out like the Bears did last offseason when pro bowl guard Josh Sitton was released by the Packers a week before the season started.

How's Lane Johnson's relationship with the Eagles FO doing... :)

19. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

I'm all for Blue getting cut. I get sick of the NRG crowd yelling Bluuuuuuuuuuuue! every time he makes a 2 yard gain.

20. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Favorite thing about Foreman is that he is entirely self made. Nobody wanted him out of high school. His twin brother was a 4 star WR that everybody recruited. The only reason he got a Texas offer was that Mack Brown wanted his brother so badly he was willing to waste a second scholarship on D'Onta to lock up Armanti.

Nobody thought Foreman would ever do anything at Texas. He used that as fuel and worked harder than every player in the program every day for three years.

Now that the chip on his shoulder has paid off we need to make sure it stays there. His athleticism is sensational but it's his work ethic that makes him special. If he becomes complacent then he'll just be another back. But if he stays relentless he will be a special player.

The coaches will love him. He'll never be late. He'll never be outworked. He'll never do or say anything stupid outside the building. He's the perfect teammate.