Houston Texans 2017 1st round pick, Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by stingray, Apr 28, 2017.

1. sandman

sandman Brexit Advisor

I'm not sure I understand this infographic. Savage has 92 career pass attempts. Are they comparing Savage, RGIII and Carr for just Weeks 14-17 this season, then comparing Watson against Terrell and Nelson for their entire collegiate careers?

This is all based on the *min 300 snaps caveat.

PapaL likes this.
  2. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

I thought that too and ended up posting it anyways. Guess 92 NFL attempts is roughly equal to 300+ NCAA passes?

3. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Trying to make QB stat comparisons of collegiate to NFL is nothing less than ludicrous.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  4. FuzzyLogic

FuzzyLogic Mathematically Possible

I agree, this is...

upload_2017-5-22_8-28-27.jpeg

thunderkyss and PapaL like this.
  5. sandman

sandman Brexit Advisor

Trying to compare NFL stats between two multi-year starters and a guy with 92 career attempts is ludicrous as well...

6. zshawn10

zshawn10 Hall of Fame

7. edromeo

edromeo All Pro

8. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Haha, you're always great for swinging both fences.

"If" and "can" are a fair pair.

But, from my observations, oftentimes you would subtly use a non-proposition to further a certain case.

Not necessarily an agenda, but I still think you may work for the Texans organization in a certain capacity; which is fine.

But if I know for sure that you don't , you'd be among the best in my book, football talk - wise.

With regards.

thunderkyss likes this.
  9. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

10. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

:spit:

11. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

You're too old to believe that.
    :kitten:

Pretty soon, you may want the season to be over with, saying... Lord, sweet Lord, please let this end soon, or NOW. I just can't take it NOMO. :ahhaha:

thunderkyss likes this.
  12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

I wish. I mean I'm all over this board when I'm at work, so it's kinda like I'm getting paid to post... but nope. I live 90 miles from Houston.

13. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

False Start likes this.
  14. TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31 Hall of Fame

lol what a dumb sentence

Whoever wrote that doesn't know a ******* thing about this team or football in general, and should probably stop doing anything of any relevance whatsoever.

15. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

It's really hard to say exactly what O'Brien's offense could be....if it was patterned after NE's then therein lies the difference...the Texans haven't had a Tom Brady to execute the offense.

O'Brien's first 3 seasons have seen him consistently forced to run a dumbed down and predictable version of his offense. Along with the hordes of QB's brought in to bridge the gap in Savage's (assumption based on the fact he was the only QB they drafted in the first 3 years.) development....O'Brien's OL's have been a big question mark and inconsistent for 3 years running, speaking of running this part of their game has remained highly inconsistent with little to no production in the red-zone, no TE has exactly stood out as a play-maker since the TE's primary job has been to cover for a weak OL and last but not least, a GM that appears to be running the team with his personal agenda as the top priority.

I'm really looking forward to year 4 as it has all the possibilities of bettering the 9-7 rut this team has been stuck in. The biggest difference could come at the hands of a healthy OL that should be fairly ready to help O'Brien open his entire playbook for the first time since his arrival. I, like most others on this board have been waiting to see this offense open up and no longer be predictable; this season appears to be the year.

16. Fred

Fred Hall of Fame

The O line was pretty much average, maybe slightly above average; but it looked worse due to historically horrible QB play. If the QB play improves to poor or even (can we dream?) to below average the line will look better.

The people who really don't know a bleeping thing about this team or football in general are the ninnies who think the O Line is one of the worse ever and that a team should not upgrade the QB position until there are at least 5 1st round draft picks (and preferably at least 3 felons) on the O Line.

Shishkabob, ObsiWan, jradMIT and 3 others like this.
  17. edromeo

edromeo All Pro

RE: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...texans-best-choice-at-qb-and-hes-ready-for-it

I agree that the Texans OL isn't a dominant unit, and in general i think most teams that don't have a top OL think their OL's are worse then they actually are (except for Browns fans whose OL was turrible).

The article said the Texans have/had "an above-average offensive line" and I agree that isn't the case but I don't think being off by a few spots warrants dismissing the entire article or the author.

PFF rates the Texans OL:

18. Houston Texans (11)
    Top overall grade: LT Duane Brown, 85.7 (No. 17)

Top pass-blocking grade: C Greg Mancz, 87.2 (tied for No. 3)

Top run-blocking grade: LT Duane Brown, 84.8 (No. 7)

We have reached the point in the list where every remaining O-line is, at best, severely flawed. The Houston Texans’ unit saw a mix of excellent performances and pretty terrible ones in the regular season. LT Duane Brown began to creep back towards his best play this season, allowing only one sack all year and run blocked well, with the league’s seventh-best grade in that area, at 84.6. Greg Mancz—a player that dominated PFF’s grades in college—looked like a solid find for the team at center in his second season after being an undrafted free agent in 2015. Mancz allowed one sack and 18 total QB pressures across 671 pass-blocking snaps in the regular season, and was perfect in his Wild Card outing against the Raiders last week. Chris Clark, however, was the league’s worst pass-protecting right tackle, surrendering a ridiculous 67 total QB pressures on the season; he was also flagged 13 times. The guard pairing either let themselves down run blocking (Jeff Allen) or pass blocking

Football Outsiders has the Texans OL:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

15th in Run Blocking
    17th in Pass Protection

Based on the numbers above i think its fair to say the Texans OL was average or slightly below average.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I figured the interest in the article would be on the topic of whether Watson should/could be the opening day starter. i thought the article did a good job in highlighting some of the strengths in his game that show why he could be the guy week 1/or at least early in the season.
    eg....
    [​IMG]

thunderkyss and ObsiWan like this.
  18. TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31 Hall of Fame

That sentence was wrong for more than just the bit about the offensive line.

19. edromeo

edromeo All Pro

B/c of the RB part? ......I guess to me the gist of the article was that Texans are in a position to support a young QB playing early IF they (QB + Coaching staff) are ready.

Do you disagree with that part? I get that you think the team isn't good enough in terms of OL and RB and maybe receiver to support playing Watson early?

My thought is that the offense (and team as whole) does have the pieces that could support Watson playing early.

And Watson's skillset allows some adjustments to made to the offense that can help the running. With Watson you can add boot/swap action to help hold/eliminate backside pursuit in outside zone runs (ala Kubiak).

Watson also brings the same benefit (hold backside pursuit) in the shotgun running game via zone read. And its not something that has to be done often just enough to keep em honest ala KC, Seattle, Titans, Dallas etc.

FuzzyLogic and PapaL like this.
  20. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

I sure hope as hell they don't advise Watson to run unless it's totally free and clear.

Sorry, but I didn't want RG III out of college for the same reason.

The QB, for me, should be the sixth option on the field... until the SB.