Houston Texans 2017 1st round pick, Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by stingray, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Did you even read the notables.. I guess not. A lot of it isn't even tied to individual success, but team success.

Anyways I don't really believe in curses.. but I wouldn't want to see our franchise player on the cover of Madden either..sooo :)

2. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

otisbean, zshawn10 and Lucky like this.
  3. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

SI puts out 52 covers every year. And sometimes multiple covers for the same week. Bound to be some bad and good (luck?) to folks who appear on the cover.

...still.... why chance it?
    :D

PapaL, JB and Carr Bombed like this.
  4. zshawn10

zshawn10 Hall of Fame

5. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

PapaL and edo783 like this.
  6. zshawn10

zshawn10 Hall of Fame

Sarah Barshop@sarahbarshop

Deshaun Watson has recovered from a torn ACL (again) and has spent his offseason mastering an offense that Bill O’Brien hopes will take advantage of his strengths. https://es.pn/2MpK5Mq

7:39 AM - Aug 23, 2018

JB, Max, Texansballer74 and 3 others like this.
  7. zshawn10

zshawn10 Hall of Fame

Bill Barnwell

✔@billbarnwell

ICYMI: The story on where Deshaun Watson and Carson Wentz excelled in 2017 and how they might struggle to keep that up in 2018 http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24440244/will-deshaun-watson-houston-texans-carson-wentz-philadelphia-eagles-regress-2018-nfl-mvp …

1:57 PM - Aug 23, 2018

JB and Texansballer74 like this.
  8. zshawn10

zshawn10 Hall of Fame

I've seen a few people on here suggest Deshaun Watson is average, needs help to win, or wasn't as good last year as he was in his rookie season, so here's a thread on his 2018 disproving all of that. pic.twitter.com/BHgg8hRv9y

— Johnny Kinsley (@Brickwallblitz) May 27, 2019

Watson played with the worst offensive line of 2018 and was constantly making plays like this. pic.twitter.com/YxD2sj9Yh4

One complaint Watson got in his rookie season was running out of a clean pocket when his first read wasn't open, but he polished that in his second season. Cycles through his reads using the time he has before eventually finding Hopkins. pic.twitter.com/UprbgSCc07

Uses insane elusiveness to escape a sack, maintains his composure, resets himself, goes through his reads and manages to find an open receiver. This is a special play. pic.twitter.com/uNEQxYk6ta

Giants send a stunt, Watson knows he's about to get drilled but doesn't flinch and delivers this pressure play on time. pic.twitter.com/iY3LGes7fT

Look at how the bad RT play carried Watson into making this play possible, how much help can this guy get? #smh pic.twitter.com/2EBmbADSfk

Holy crap this play is amazing. pic.twitter.com/6HBnm87Bsk

The 2018 Houston Texans offense in one clip: pic.twitter.com/VH0J7qZV39

I get that Mahomes' level of talent has overshadowed Watson's, but Watson is still one of the most exciting quarterbacks in the league. pic.twitter.com/LRWZO3uYJc

Blocking back gives Watson an extra bit of time to help him avoid getting destroyed, but the pressure still gets to him.

Manages to feel it in time, moves out of the pocket and sets his feet to fire to the open receiver.

Mechanics were much more refined in Year 2. pic.twitter.com/71DoLBiOT8

A rare moment where Watson has actual protection and he throws a laser. pic.twitter.com/NrX2ekqeOA

Another strike. pic.twitter.com/ZESDJZoLOF

Phenomenal anticipation on this pass, throws Hopkins open. pic.twitter.com/mpLac42Usk

I'm not sure how many quarterbacks could've done a better job in the Texans offense last season than Watson, but I do know the list is very small. pic.twitter.com/8nBKVIBPKR

STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING RIGHT NOW AND WATCH DESHAUN WATSON CREATE ART pic.twitter.com/WDtEguMxBJ

Watson's game against the Eagles might be my favorite performance of his career, went off under pressure. pic.twitter.com/1HXNgrhjuP

A simple clip of Watson making more than one read. pic.twitter.com/vqSVs5EycB

Now let's return to Watson balling under pressure. pic.twitter.com/dqwm1IUzWj

Watson's performance against the Eagles is proof on how far he can carry a team. Constantly under pressure from an excellent pass rush and dragged the Texans to the brink of victory after trailing by two scores late. pic.twitter.com/QKRBeLQPwG

No words, man. pic.twitter.com/Z1gxqdSj6W

Watson left the field with the lead, didn't deserve to lose this game. pic.twitter.com/FjO482vHSa

Deshaun Watson encountered a lot of setbacks in 2018, which include:

-Shaking off the rust coming off the ACL tear
    -Rib/lung injuries
    -Abysmal pass protection
    -Losing Fuller
    -Losing Demaryius Thomas before the postseason
    -Bill O'Brien

Still put up a quality season.

I get that Watson isn't perfect. He can hold onto the ball for way too long, and could see more improvement as a pocket passer. His playoff game against the Colts was bad.

But I think based on the majority of 2018, he dragged this flawed supporting cast to the postseason.

Watson is phenomenal at creating outside the pocket, and has legitimately grown as a pocket passer, showing more cases of making multiple reads while refining his mechanics under pressure. Texans fans should be thrilled to have him, as he is so much fun to watch.

9. otisbean

otisbean All Pro

I know he’s not perfect, but I’m so glad he’s our QB. It almost makes suffering through Hoyllet and the Brock-pocalypse worth it

10. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

FEBRUARY 22, 2019 BRICKWALLBLITZ DEEP BALL PROJECT
    The 2018-19 Deep Ball Project (Part 2/3)

18. Deshaun Watson (Houston Texans)

[​IMG]

Considering he played behind arguably the worst offensive line in the NFL, Deshaun Watson didn’t do a bad job at all. While his per game numbers regressed from his rookie season, I felt Watson grew as a passer in the pocket, showing more decisiveness and less off balance footwork.

Watson did well throwing to his left and right (12th in both areas with an accuracy percentage of 47.37% and 50.0% respectfully), and was 10th in accuracy percentage under pressure (47.62%). His impressed most throwing 36-40 yards, as he finished third in accuracy percentage (66.67%). He was also fifth in accuracy in both 21-25 and 26-30 distances (68.75% and 66.67% respectfully).

Watson could definitely improve throwing into tight windows, as he finished 30th in accuracy percentage with 22.73%. He threw 13 throws of at least 41 yards in the air yet ranked 31st in accuracy percentage in that area (13.33%).

Overall I don’t consider Watson to be a great downfield passer yet, but he’s taking steps in the right direction and has improved significantly over his rookie season. LINK

11. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

I wanted the Texans to get Mahomes in that draft, and while he's gone on to be a MVP and a sensational QB in his own right, as a Texans fan, I am "thrilled" we got Deshaun Watson. I was concerned about his arm strength and being able to throw into tight windows in the NFL, but I must say he has proven those fears unfounded. Watson has plenty of arm strength for the NFL but I believe it's his other intangibles that are what makes him a great QB. He just has an "it" factor that I think will make the Texans champions somewhere in the near future. Deshaun may not be getting the pub that others are getting but that's okay. He's quietly been developing into one of the better QB's in the league and I'm so glad he's our Franchise QB.

12. ATXtexanfan

ATXtexanfan Site Contributor

I dont think many are down on Watson. Many realize he is in a bad situation in many ways.

13. TexansBull

TexansBull Hall of Fame

Agreed. The only doubt about Watson being able to win is mainly attributed to OB and Gaine.

Mangler and ATXtexanfan like this.
  14. Texansballer74

Texansballer74 Hall of Fame

Indeed, I don't see anyone on here being down on Watson. The youngster is pretty darn good.

steelbtexan and HaveMercy like this.
  15. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

My favorite QB in the league prior to Watson's arrival was Russell Wilson. I see some very important similarities, and I have zero doubt Watson has what it takes to win a Superb Owl. I have full doubt that this front office knows how to build a team and offense that will help him do that.

OptimisticTexan and steelbtexan like this.
  16. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Watson is in the Tampa Steve Young stage right now.

Hopefully the talent they added his offseason pays off.

Small school guys scare me.

17. zshawn10

zshawn10 Hall of Fame

18. zshawn10

zshawn10 Hall of Fame

CWTexansFan and Texansballer74 like this.
  19. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Myopicone

I may put 10 bucks on Fairborn just to be a player

20. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

They obviously have nothing better to do. I mean Joe Webb & AJ McCarron...really?