Houston Cougars

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by gwallaia, Sep 8, 2018.

1. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

He's also CBS #2... don't see a Rodgers type fall for him, he has no character concerns I'm aware of

Big difference in falling from 1-5 when 2 of those are qb's and falling from 2-20+

2. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Wager a beer he falls out of top 5 :wesmantexanfan:

3. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

I think Oliver's Combine and Pro Day will more than likely keep him in the Top 5. He's a special player who's achieved his success while being the sole player on the Coogs defense that teams had to truly focus on. I'd hate to see him fall into the Jags hands....although their primary concern should be QB.

steelbtexan likes this.
  4. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

Falling out top 5 is a far cry from slipping to end of first

steelbtexan likes this.
  5. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

He could fall out top of 20 just don’t want to wish that on him for love of beer :wesmantexanfan:

6. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

He could.. but not likely

It could snow in June when the moon is blue :D

7. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Cougars down 56-7 to Army. In the 3rd. Not Alabama. Army.

Applewhite has 3 years left with a buyout at just under $2 million. Is it too much or too early to move on? I don’t think Major has what it takes to get it done here. Another year won’t change that.

8. Hervoyel

Hervoyel BUENO!

I find myself in agreement with you here. He doesn’t have it. In the cougars endless world of one step forward-one step back he’s a “one step back”

Honestly I’m starting to think the Cougars are never going to turn another corner. UH will forever be stuck getting it together and then watching it all walk away to work somewhere else. Briles, Sumlin, Herman all ended with the same result and now it appears both Sumlin and Herman ended with missteps (Levine & Applewhite).

The kind of sustained success they would need to step up is simply impossible without a HC who wants to build something new. It may just be that this will forever be a stepping stone program.

Lucky and steelbtexan like this.
  9. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Applewhite is in over his head and yes, although many dont want to admit it UH is a stepping stone program

10. paycheck71

paycheck71 Hall of Fame

Of course, UH is a stepping stone program. Many power 5 programs are stepping stone to something better. This will be their world until they can figure out a way to get into a Power 5 conference. Current USF is the ceiling of any non power 5 program.

OptimisticTexan and steelbtexan like this.

11. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Applewhite is 15-11 as the UH HC. This past recruiting class was no great shakes, either. I just can't see that sitting well with Tilman Fertitta. He wants to build football & basketball programs that the major conferences are competing for. The BB program has turned the corner to respectability. The FB program has regressed. Time to move on.

steelbtexan likes this.
  12. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I thought the Coogs were playing well on offense until injuries took their toll? Defense was jelling the same until?

13. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

UH fired the DC in November and the OC Kendall Briles left for FSU before the bowl game. The team basically quit on Applewhite down the stretch. Destroyed 70-14 by Army? There’s no excuse for that. As Emmitt Smith would say, they were debacled.

I don’t know if UH is going to fire Applewhite. They could look at the injuries and the instabilities at the coordinators and bring him back. But what kind of coordinators will they get with a HC on the hot seat? Once you start talking about firing a coach, it’s only a matter of time when you have to fire a coach. And no one is trying to buy Major out of his contract, that’s for sure.

14. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

Applewhite was weak and ineffective who commanded no respect. He should have never be hired in the first place.

15. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

It's official.

WV HC Dana Holgorsen is getting the most buzz. I think he's the kind of coach that would stay long term.

OptimisticTexan likes this.
  16. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

There are reports tonight that say Holgerson is a done deal. I hope its true.

Some speculation on a staff with:

OC Graham Harrell or Doug Meachum
    WR Tyron Carrier
    DC David Gibbs

17. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

All indications are pointing to Holgorsen.

18. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Holgorsen is a fantastic hire but he will not stay longer than four years. His West Virginia teams had already peaked and are about to trend downward. It's the perfect time for him to get out and he will use Houston as a stepping stone to another P5 job, just like all the other successful coaches UH has had.

19. Hervoyel

Hervoyel BUENO!

Well I'll be damned if I'm gonna "Like" that comment but it's not wrong. It's almost certain that he'll step up before his contract ends unless UH manages to find a P5 conference that wants them in the meantime (so unlikely it borders on impossible) and even then he might still choose to go elsewhere depending on which conference it was and what team came calling.

Still laying out that kind of money is kind of amazing. Obviously TF and UH are serious about this stuff. Regardless of how the hire turns out I wonder how long Fertitta will keep this kind of thing up?

20. texanhead08

texanhead08 Hall of Fame

UH has to position themselves for the next round of realignment. They would be left behind for sure with Opie as head coach, and attendance being down didn't help his cause.

steelbtexan likes this.